Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Bigriver-did the dealer/tech ever find out what is actually wrong with your engine? I know you have cylinder wall scoring, but do they have a diagnosis as to why? Also, all those with the rattle....have any of you had yours scoped, either personally or "professionally"? If so, what were the results?
Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I have to ask, does anyone know WHAT that Noise is? Where is it comming from? I follow this tread as good as i can. after reading the Posts , I still dont know what that noise is. who knows it? I have it too on my 2018 gt . after a cold start of my 2018 Mustang gt german Edition it Rattles a bit . when it is warm the noise is gone. we have the same 5.0 GT here except for 2 extra Pollution filters and therefore 450 HP istead of 460 HP. Mine had this noise since the first day i bought it as a new car for 51000 euros. . i bought it with 19km on the clock and it is running fine. no oil consumtion and lots of power.i love it. right now i have 2300km on the clock so far. i am not really concerned but after reading the Posts :( i start to wonder. i had the choice between a BMW GT and the exotic american Mustang. I Thing i took the right car for me. took the US Muscle car.Since i am the only man who owns a 2018 Mustang GT around here, i have to ask you US Boys. thanks in advance for answers. cheers from Berlin

Last edited:

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
So far, it seems exactly half of all owners who voted in the poll have the sound. Do the ones who voted no, know exactly what they are listening for? It may not be as loud as some of the videos, but it may still be there. It could very well be normal. Or it could be a super F-up at the factory. I've been down this road before and the sad truth is that it may take quite a bit of time for Ford to issue an official statement / TSB on this. But I have full faith Ford will address it one way or the other.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So far, it seems exactly half of all owners who voted in the poll have the sound. Do the ones who voted no, know exactly what they are listening for? It may not be as loud as some of the videos, but it may still be there. It could very well be normal. Or it could be a super F-up at the factory. I've been down this road before and the sad truth is that it may take quite a bit of time for Ford to issue an official statement / TSB on this. But I have full faith Ford will address it one way or the other.
I know what to listen for. So far, my engine has no noises. Can’t say the same for the trans/clutch/flywheel. I only have 1850 miles on it though.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I have to ask, does anyone know WHAT that Noise is? Where is it comming from? I follow this tread as good as i can. after reading the Posts , I still dont know what that noise is. who knows it? I have it too on my 2018 gt . after a cold start of my 2018 Mustang gt german Edition it Rattles a bit . when it is warm the noise is gone. we have the same 5.0 GT here except for 2 extra Pollution filters and therefore 450 HP istead of 460 HP. Mine had this noise since the first day i bought it as a new car for 51000 euros. . i bought it with 19km on the clock and it is running fine. no oil consumtion and lots of power.i love it. right now i have 2300km on the clock so far. i am not really concerned but after reading the Posts :( i start to wonder. i had the choice between a BMW GT and the exotic american Mustang. I Thing i took the right car for me. took the US Muscle car.Since i am the only man who owns a 2018 Mustang GT around here, i have to ask you US Boys. thanks in advance for answers. cheers from Berlin
The heavy line tech said mine was piston slap which he isolated with a mechanic's stethoscope and confirmed with the pics he took of the cylinder. They are still replacing the short block and have not given me any more feedback.

Sponsored

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Hey guys my dad just got a 2018 Camry which uses DI and PI. Here's a couple of quick videos at idle fully warm. Sound familiar? 2.5L inline 4.

There's also posts about this "motor boat" sound on the Toyota owner forum. It's not only us guys!
Good lord thats loud. That definitely is injector/DI noise. Though it does differ from the rattle, its a faster rhythm and is at idle. Does his sound like that or worse under light load like our problem?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My new concern now is my local ford dealer alluded to not supporting ESP/Ford Protect plan.

I'll find out more when they call back. They offered very $$ Zurich based plan.

I do have their review to provide which they provided me a handout saying - give us all 5 stars - if you cannot call us immediately. If they cannot support the Ford plan - their review is in jeopardy.
The Ford ESP is an extended warranty you can buy from an Ford dealership (Flood Ford sells it cheap as you've found out), and all Ford dealerships must honor a Ford ESP. Is your Ford dealer saying they don't honor a Ford ESP? If that's what they are saying, they are lying to you.

Don't buy the 3rd party extended warranty plan, it won't cover as well as an official Ford ESP.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
Mine is at 5100 miles now. The rattle seems to be louder... Will use my borescope next week end...

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Guy gets engine replaced and buyback from Ford and people still come out as "Aw its normal"

Sorry i've been away from the thread as they haven't figured my situation out yet. I drove 5 mustangs at the dealer over the weekend and then went to another and drove 2.
Not 1 of them made the ticking noise. I did speak about buying a new GT with a roush charger on it. Roush chargers for the 18 are on backorder due to the b/o for the fuel system components. So i have time to think :)

Edit - With the Focus RS issue and the mustang being over 40K it should not make this noise. There are more and more you tube videos with trans and engine issues. We are not telling you to panic. Just be aware...

Like the saying goes.... when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Well when Ford gives you lemons what do you do?

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Well when Ford gives you lemons what do you do?
Squeeze the juice in your eyes to divert your attention away from car troubles? :shrug:

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Like the saying goes.... when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Well when Ford gives you lemons what do you do?
Make margaritas :cheers:

In all seriousness, guys, as a car guy and especially as `a career long powertrain guy, I have confidence that Ford will figure it out and right the ship. In the meantime I hope they treat those of you that are having these issues fairly. They should be grateful for what they are learning from your experiences. Even though I own a Camaro, I have always also liked Mustangs and want to see the brand continue to get better.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
When you give it gas in neutral it instantly goes away just like how on our cars when at 2200 RPM under light load and you give it more throttle it instantly goes away. While driving it's hardly noticeable. I'd say 20% of our volume.
I wonder if the "sound tube" we have is putting more of the noise in our cabin than what it actually is. Has anyone deleted it?

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I wonder if the "sound tube" we have is putting more of the noise in our cabin than what it actually is. Has anyone deleted it?
I thought the same. For my issue - sound tube didn't change anything. Especially when you can hear it from outside or bouncing off the buildings you drive by.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Im sure it would reduce the in cabin sound, but when you can hear the rattle reflecting off objects like a damn diesel with your windows down, theres no hiding that.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I thought the same. For my issue - sound tube didn't change anything. Especially when you can hear it from outside or bouncing off the buildings you drive by.
Beat me to it....lol.
Sponsored