Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Why does Ford offer different level of PPacks? Just fucking make one be all end all track pack like the 1LE!
Because the 1LE is very bumpy.
Offering two choices is better than the chevy solution.
Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
The 1LE isnt that stiff. The Magride makes it livable on the daily. The ZL1 1LE however is stiff as fuck and not dailyable. But the SS 1LE is fine everyday.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we'll have to wait and see what suspension parts were borrowed from the GT350 for PP2. What else besides the stiffer springs, stabilizer bars and MSC2's could have been changed to knock 3.5 seconds off at Grattan Raceway vs PP1? Does anyone know if the GT350 has different IRS parts like vertical links and toe rods?
The reprogramming of magneride should be considered as well to. As this could very well be what is needed in order to get rid of the soft shocks on track.

All is relative, I have not driven the 1LE nor the 18GT as they are not available here(18 GT will be soon). But just by looking at the video and how soft the Stang looks in comparison to the 1LE. However if you are coming from a Volvo the Mustang most likely feels like a F1 car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
MotorTrend and the rest of Ten will never change.
1LE vs a GT?
Why not a regular SS vs a GT?
Will there be a 1LE vs GT PP2?
You can bet that Hot Rod and the like will push this as a pro chevy victory to no end!
Where is the shame?
especially since the PP2 car has been available to test. That says a lot about agenda.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
especially since the PP2 car has been available to test. That says a lot about agenda.
They did this test well before the PP2 was out. But they did say they will be doing another with the PP2 in 6 months.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
PP2:
Cue people bitching about stiff ride and super soft expensive tires that need changing way too often.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This bears repeating, fan boys will buy their brand no matter what, performance oriented drivers with no allegiance will buy the better performer, and general public will buy the better looking and/or cheaper car. This is exactly why the Mustang outsells the Camaro and in that regard it's why Ford is winning the sales race.
True performance enthusiasts (weekend racers) aren't going to care which car is slightly faster stock. They will be modding the car for specific track use. In that case, both cars are pretty much even. The little bit extra spent on Mustang drivetrain cooling will be basically a drop in the bucket. The Camaro SS 1LE is really only a stock racer value, but almost everyone I know who frequents the track is into modding.
FYI, if anything, I would say I am a Nissan and Subaru fanboy, but I sort of feel burned by Subaru after owning a 2011 STI. The only fords I have ever owned were Mustangs.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
True performance enthusiasts (weekend racers) aren't going to care which car is slightly faster stock. They will be modding the car for specific track use. In that case, both cars are pretty much even. The little bit extra spent on Mustang drivetrain cooling will be basically a drop in the bucket. The Camaro SS 1LE is really only a stock racer value, but almost everyone I know who frequents the track is into modding.
Stock is all that matters :amen:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Why does Ford offer different level of PPacks? Just fucking make one be all end all track pack like the 1LE!
No Thanks. I don't want Sport Cup 2s on my street car.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
No Thanks. I don't want Sport Cup 2s on my street car.
Exactly. Even the regular Super Sports pickup a ton of rocks, debris, etc that gets thrown back into the car. The Cup 2's also wear much faster and are not cheap to replace.

I would imagine most people would use them as track tires only and buy a set of daily wheels/tires.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
It does and it did. But unless you are talking about street racing that metric has no merit. Its cool, but under 99% of the time you won't ever be in a situation to leverage that. At least not legally LOL
Just about every performance test would get you a ticket in the US if done on the street.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
They probably filmed this a month ago if not more. I guess if you want to blame someone blame Ford for not sending them a PP2 for the test. I doubt Motor Trend has any control over what car the manufacturer sends them.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not according to my GT350 MagneRide...

My 350 in normal mode is more compliant on the crap roads than a GT PP any day. Then in Track mode it gets really focused on track and yet still doesn't beat you up.

Tune it right the first time around. This middle ground crap is nonsense. What's the point of such flexibility with tunable suspension if you're not going to tune it right? (rhetorical btw, don't answer that question)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They probably filmed this a month ago if not more. I guess if you want to blame someone blame Ford for not sending them a PP2 for the test. I doubt Motor Trend has any control over what car the manufacturer sends them.
Correct. Randy Pobst was posting Instagram and Facebook posts about the '18 GT a while back.
Sponsored