A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just got a call back from the dealer and they informed me that they are replacing the evaporator and it should be ready by Friday. Not really relieved as I know it's only a matter of time before the replacement fails.

Never had an issue with AC in my previous cars and both of them were 12 years old when I got rid of them. This is my first brand new car and it looks like it will be plagued with a problematic AC until I get rid of it.
Same.... was going to keep this car for a long time and didn't mind mechanical issues, but issues with the AC is something I do mind. Now I am thinking of not keeping it and getting rid of it early :shrug:
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
So they are on their 3rd revision from what people here are saying? I doubt anyone has had one long enough to have a failure with it so who knows. I just joined the evap club as well. Why hasnt ford released an official TSB yet is beyond me

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Well, I'm now in the A/C club. I was hearing a weird noise, like a bad belt screeching, & took it in. Right now, it seems the compressor is bad & they're going to check it out later today or tomorrow.

I only have 13,000 miles & this is the first problem.

I'm going to call them & ask them to check the evaporator after reading this thread.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Can anyone trace the Special Service Message below to Ford? There should be a dealer that should be able to retrieve this SSM from its system. This SSM is clearly an admission of a defect and should help to hold Ford accountable even after expiration of the warranty.

SSM 47149 – 2015-2017 Mustang – Poor Air Conditioning (A/C) Performance, Low Refrigerant Charge – Built On Or Before 2-Sep-2016

Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles built on or before 2-Sep-2016 may exhibit poor A/C performance.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 – 2017 CAR: ZG MUSTANG (S550)

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Can anyone trace the Special Service Message below to Ford? There should be a dealer that should be able to retrieve this SSM from its system. This SSM is clearly an admission of a defect and should help to hold Ford accountable even after expiration of the warranty.

SSM 47149 – 2015-2017 Mustang – Poor Air Conditioning (A/C) Performance, Low Refrigerant Charge – Built On Or Before 2-Sep-2016

Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles built on or before 2-Sep-2016 may exhibit poor A/C performance.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Do you have the rest of the message or was that it?

Sponsored

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's it. As you can see, the SSM is cryptic because it does not suggest any repair actions for the malfunctioning a/c in certain models of the S550, as mine, which is telling.

I got it from a Ford enthusiast website. It's out there if you do a google search. SSS's are internal communications from Ford to its dealers. These SSM's are released after a bunch of models come up with the same problem. Consumers eventually get hold of them.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I double checked and had omitted an important sentence from the SSM that's reported in the web.

If a low refrigerant charge is confirmed and there are no other obvious signs of a refrigerant leak, suspect the evaporator to be the source of the leak.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Does anyone know what % of cars have exhibited this problem? Is it pretty low (like <5%) or something substantially higher. I am now out of warranty and wondering if there will be a class action lawsuit eventually.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Just picked up the car and the AC is blowing cold again although I must say the AC in my loaner Cadillac XTS is noticeably colder. Oh well, it works for now.

My part number ended in Y which i believe is the latest revision.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does anyone know what % of cars have exhibited this problem? Is it pretty low (like <5%) or something substantially higher. I am now out of warranty and wondering if there will be a class action lawsuit eventually.
Ford wouldn't volunteer that information.

Considering the cost of replacing them, I suspect it is below 5% within the warranty period for the latest iteration of the part.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red

If a low refrigerant charge is confirmed and there are no other obvious signs of a refrigerant leak, suspect the evaporator to be the source of the leak.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

BlueTxMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Add me the the list. My A/C stop blowing cold. Dealer replace the bad parts and some bolts in under 2 hours.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Add me the the list. My A/C stop blowing cold. Dealer replace the bad parts and some bolts in under 2 hours.
Under two hours? Sounds like what my issue was. Bad Schrader valve.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Bad Schrader valve.
That's what they claimed my issue was the first time I had it in.

attachment.jpg

It failed again a few months later - this time the dealer reckoned they found another valve issue.

attachment.jpg

Only a matter of time before it goes again - hopefully they'll bite the bullet then and replace the evaporator (ideally before my warranty expires in a years time).
Sponsored