Winter Storage

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Now that Spring is here, I have to start thinking about next year. Since I do not drive my summer cars in the Winter, living in Michigan where we have gotten snow measured in Feet, my cars usually live in a cacoon from November to April.

One of the things that I have done for winter storage is to strategically place shop fans, usually 2 or 3 around my 2400 sq foot barn to blow air under my stored cars. This works great for keeping the moisture from collecting on the steel parts. The years that I did not use any fan, I always had some surface rust on my brake rotors, when I use fans there is no rust on the rotors, so I know it works.

Fans are great for saving the metal parts, but electric motors give off ozone, which is not good for rubber parts. What Ozone does is it attacks rubber and plastics. Ever had the black rubber just come off your tires in the spring, they have to be cleaned because the surface is White or Brown? That is caused in part by Ozone. This actually will ruin your expensive racing tires too...

Does anyone know of any electric shop fans that do not emit ozone? In theory brush-less motors should not give off any ozone, I need to look into that a little more, but this spring when I got my mustang out for the first time I noticed that the side the fan was closer to the tires were ozone damaged.

I do not know what to google or search for as every time I search it comes up with ozone machines, which is not what I am looking for.

Thanks

John
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
All this to prevent rust on the rotors? Rust is going to form on rotors during storage, but it is a non issue. Take her up to speed and get on the brakes a few times and they look like new again. Then just wash the wheels and get back to enjoying the car again

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I would be more concerned about how to start the engine after such storage period than surface rust on diskes. Do you just crank it til it starts?

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
So what is the lesser of two evils right? Either you drive it all winter in the salt and corrode the hell out of the car, or you park it and crank it with all the oil settled in the pan. The oil gets up there quick and the motor is cold so tolerances are not tight/to running spec. I put fogging oil in my motorcycle when I park it for the winter, for my classics I never found it useful. The coyote on the other hand, again I'd rather do a quick crank in the Spring then drive it in the salt all winter. It's your car and your call at the end of the day. Some think its best to start the motor once a month while in winter storage, I say that's cranking a motor with no oil 4/5/6 times a year as opposed to once in the Spring.

At the end of the day... I think most people think about this too much. Enjoy the ride!!!! I've kept a 62 Thunderbird running for years this way with zero issues, a 51 Plymouth, and a 73 Datsun 240Z as well. I've had to 240Z for 10 years, never a puff of blue smoke on startup, no power lost, no issues at all. Motors are wear parts too at the end of the day... fact of life. The alternative is to let them sit and create other issues from lack of use.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just took my 2016 out of winter storage for the second year. I started it for the first time since Nov 3, 2017. I removed the battery tender and pushed the start. The coyote came to life like I started it 20 minutes prior.

I let it idle while I deflated my tires to normal pressure and checked my lug nuts (about 15 minutes). Jumped in, pushed in the clutch, first gear and drove off.

As stated above, starting an engine with little to no oil in it once is better than doing it 5-6 times.....:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
OKFOZ....where in Doghouse do you live and how moist is it?? Stick it in a bag or a fully heated garage! I leave mine in my garage for 5 months, a trickle charger shined up and a car cover.....never had an issue....ever!!! I know others who live in Doghouse and they are also have questions!!!

OP
OP

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
LOL, some people miss the big story... I am not worried about "rust on the rotors". The minimal rust on the rotors is just an indicator that moisture condensates on the metal parts, the fans simply do not allow condensation on the entire car. Furthermore, heating the barn is not financially practical. Placing in a bubble is not practical either as it will hinder actually starting and moving the car during the storage period.

One thing that I have noticed, is there are more painted and powder-coated parts on the S550 than most of the other cars that I have owned...

Replacing rubber parts IE Tires, hoses, and seals is not a huge problem, but if I could slow the process that would be ideal.

As for storage, I have owned classic cars since 1989, so this is not my first rodeo... I was just wondering if anyone knew of what I was looking for...

Thanks

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
LOL, some people miss the big story... I am not worried about "rust on the rotors". The minimal rust on the rotors is just an indicator that moisture condensates on the metal parts, the fans simply do not allow condensation on the entire car. Furthermore, heating the barn is not financially practical. Placing in a bubble is not practical either as it will hinder actually starting and moving the car during the storage period.

One thing that I have noticed, is there are more painted and powder-coated parts on the S550 than most of the other cars that I have owned...

Replacing rubber parts IE Tires, hoses, and seals is not a huge problem, but if I could slow the process that would be ideal.

As for storage, I have owned classic cars since 1989, so this is not my first rodeo... I was just wondering if anyone knew of what I was looking for...

Thanks
Well...I guess I was in the same rodeo!! .....1989.....First restoration was a 67 Nova 327-4spd!! Documented by GM of Canada as the last one off the assembly line in Oshawa Ontario!! And 26+others since then! Never..ever had a winter ozone?? Issue during winter storage, I’m in Vancouver BC area!! Do you like have a barn...with a dirt floor and mice n rats and birds poopin on it?? So where exactly do you live....other than in the “Doghouse”?
F96C39A8-EF1B-4606-8628-10E810D914C0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I live in Michigan, the barn is a 40x60 and it is a new build, has a concrete floor, with a vapor barrier under the concrete. Ozone is a known pollutant that will attack rubber. Ever seen the sidewalls tires turn a brown or flaky white, when you touch it your fingers get sticky with this black stuff coming off? That is from Ozone attacking the rubber. Ozone and UV rays are the worst thing for rubber...

Some tires are worse than others. It seems like the higher quality softer compounds are worse than the hard road tires.

John
Sponsored