Some fun at the track attack

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was in Utah a little while back and did my second track attack on the heels of HR361. It was a beautiful day and had lots of fun.

[ame]

We ran the east course. It is a very straightforward course that you can run in third gear and never have to shift unless you want to change it up a bit. Doing it again, I probably would go through turns 2 and 3 a bit faster, but towards the end, I was chirping the tires.

picture.png

I was running car #6. It had almost 5k miles and the instructors and staff reported that the cars were holding up well over time. However, I had the "wrench" annunciation appear and the "service required" prompt come up a few times accompanied by the "hill assist unavailable" annunciation pop up as well. The last time I saw that was at Daytona and that left me with no stability augmentation. The car went in for diagnostics after the day was over.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Overall, It was a great time. I look forward to going again in September for the third track attack. I wish though that I could spend more time on the track instead of the braking, heel/toe, and skid car stuff. It would be nice if I could spend all day on the track.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Overall, It was a great time. I look forward to going again in September for the third track attack. I wish though that I could spend more time on the track instead of the braking, heel/toe, and skid car stuff. It would be nice if I could spend all day on the track.
Awww, I loved the skid car!

-T

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Great pics, very cool video. Can't wait to get my car. Hopefully only another month. Still have to figure out the whole "track insurance" thing.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
.... and you had the best color for a GT350! :cheers:

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Was awesome to get to meet you Tom!

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
When I went in 2016, learned alot and had a great time.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
It's so much fun! I live 5 minutes from that track, I need to get out there some this summer.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's so much fun! I live 5 minutes from that track, I need to get out there some this summer.

That is a world class facility. If I lived out there, Id be out there every chance I could get. I would prefer to drive the whole course instead or east or west by themselves.

Sponsored

aram_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White w/Blue Stripes
Cool video. You have my like. I still can't get over how good these cars sound, jesus. :thumbsup:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Just a curiosity: Your steering technique - the video shows your hands moving a lot on that wheel. 10&4, 8&4, 7&1, 11&5, etc. Is that your normal technique or is that something they were teaching? Considering the amount of steering input required to lap that track, just wondering why you wouldn't keep them at 9&3 the entire time?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just a curiosity: Your steering technique - the video shows your hands moving a lot on that wheel. 10&4, 8&4, 7&1, 11&5, etc. Is that your normal technique or is that something they were teaching? Considering the amount of steering input required to lap that track, just wondering why you wouldn't keep them at 9&3 the entire time?
The only time hand placement on the steering wheel was discussed was in the classroom. Of course the 3/9 or 2/10 was encouraged, but the only practical application was the skid car. JR instructed both the first track attack as well as this time around. The technique taught was that as you need to move the wheel around it was ok as long it was hand in hand with no letting go of the wheel.

picture.jpg

A lot of what you see is from experience(ie from Daytona) where a 2/10 or 3/9 constant grip would be impractical on the infield portion of the track. So to answer your question (where did that technique come from), muscle memory or habit patterns. My track instructor (Todd) never said anything about my technique in those references.

[ame]

I agree, it is not necessary to move the hands around the wheel like that on this course (because of the type of track), but other tracks do sometimes require a bit more steering deflection.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Thanks for the reply. Considering the purpose of the skid car is to initiate a skid at low speed to allow practicing steering out of one, and that the 9&3 (or thereabouts) was recommended for this situation, wouldn't it make sense that that is the position to use when you are at speed on the track, where a inadvertent skid at high speed is feasible?

I think if you look at the physics of steering (hand placement, applying force to the wheel, etc.), the 9&3 gives you the greatest control, steering torque, and is most comfortable.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive Daytona, but in the 11 circuits I have experience on, none of them, as I recall, required me to move my hands from the 9&3 position. If you were a student of mine, I would have suggested you Velcro your hands to that wheel (that's what my first instructor told me to do) - it takes practice, but is definitely doable. Perhaps, give it a try on the street (which is more difficult to do, as larger steering angles are often required). Best of luck.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Maybe I was doing it all wrong, maybe the skid car was set up too slippery - I don't know. But, I've had plenty of of experience controlling spins, skids, drifts whatever. And the skid car didn't replicate any of that. It was entertaining, but not very applicable to what happens on a track.

In response to another poster: Todd was my instructor too. He told me he'd be yelling, not that he was mad, but that he's enthusiastic. Yep, that's for sure! He is an excellent instructor. GAS GAS GAS... BRAAAAKKKKE.... OFF THE BRAKE, TURN-IN, TURN-OUT, GET ON THE GASSSS!!! He really drilled into me what the car can do. Great guy.
Sponsored