Sponsored

BMR Handling springs installed (revised version)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I got BMR’s new and revised SP083 Handling springs installed today! I just thought I’d post it up because I’m real excited about it. This has been a few months in the making - contemplating my current suspension setup, seeking advice, going back and forth, etc. etc.

I also got a fresh alignment, as ya do whenever installing lowering springs.

For those don’t know here are the specs on it:

Spring rates: Front- 250 lbs/in, Rear 980 lbs/in
Drop: Front- 7/8”, Rear- 3/4”

I’m at work now so haven’t driven it much except back from the shop and a quick lunch out. Initial impressions are GOOD. More to come on this later!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
YES! Looking forward to hearing the full review.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Very nice! Glad to hear you got them on Ryan.

I am going to guess in this case, your perseverance will pay dividends. I could be wrong, but I am a REALLY big fan of the SP083 springs with the new 250lb/in front rate.

Give it to us raw and let us know how you truly feel about them.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Also - once you get some use on them please post a nice "stance" pic.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Are these on backorder? Ordered the new fronts from BMR on Feb 2 and they don't seem to have shipped yet. Going to stick with the original rears.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Are these on backorder? Ordered the new fronts from BMR on Feb 2 and they don't seem to have shipped yet. Going to stick with the original rears.
I will look into this. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Now that I’m home and got to take the drive home to really focus on how the car feels, I want to share my initial impressions. I’m going to need to drive it for awhile and really push the car in order to understand what the car can do and what it feels like doing it. I’m kind of tired after work today and it’s wet out so I won’t drive it anymore this evening. That being said, I’m just going to honestly try to articulate the differences I feel thus far.

Let me preface this by saying I’m coming off Ford Racing track springs and the Ford Racing shocks/struts for comparisons sake. Not to mention several other suspension bits such as BMR CB005, BMR sway bars, Steeda RLCA bearing and more. Why did I decide to change my springs? The FRPP track pack is a good bit of kit and I had basically created my own FRPP track kit (almost making it a level 2 if you will). I’ll get more into the why later, but it’s mostly because I was looking for a better handling feel.

Now to the impressions: so far it feels really NICE. I was expecting with the increase in rates, particularly in the rear, it would feel overly harsh. I feel the stiffer spring rate of these springs but I feel like it actually rides smoother. The car feels very firm and tight. I feel the bumps because of the stiffer spring rate but it is not HARSH. It is feeling what is going on on the road. I feel everything but is in a relative smooth way. The car feels flat and tight and firm.

When I asked Kelly about these springs he mentioned that I might find them rather docile, considering. Well Kelly you were right. It is much smoother than I anticipated. You would think with these high rates I’d be more uncomfortable with these springs than the FRPP springs. Not the case at all so far.

The ride feels smoother because it feels more stable and predictable. Example: there’s this road near my house that has a larger bump and the car goes way down and then abruptly back up. With the FRPP springs, the car would always drop harshly down and then after it came up it would take a moment to re-settle itself. Went over it today with power down and the car just felt planted and supported the whole time.

Weight shifts in the car feel much better also so far. Downshifting, deceleration, etc. It just feels more stable. Even braking felt noticeably more direct. More composure in general, in every aspect.

I really want to drive it on the interstate and see how it feels and how it feels at high speeds. But driving it for just a short time, it is NIGHT and DAY. I can feel immediately the difference. It feels way more planted, flat and stable than the Ford Racing springs. I can tell without a doubt. This IS the type of sports car feel I was looking for. So far, honestly I love the ride. I mean it’s really nice. It’s like a firm, sports car feel. And I think these dampers can handle these springs real well based on my initial experience.

This is now my THIRD spring&shock combination when I didn’t want to switch the first time. BMR SP080s with Konis, to FRPP spring/shock combo, now to this. Driving to and from work and around town today I think this is the most satisfied I’ve felt. I can only imagine the grin when I really get to push the car!

I want to give you a shout out to [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] for helping me make this decision. This has been several months in the thought process and thank you for giving me advice and helping me actually explain what I was looking for. I am very pleased with it so far.

And I apologize to all for the novel I just wrote LOL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you're enjoying it buddy!

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Glad you're enjoying it buddy!
Thanks man. Looking forward to driving it more and getting used to it. I kept basically the same alignment and bar settings that I had before. I don’t know yet how it will behave in the corners and at high speed cruising but if my initial feelings are correct it will be amazing :D

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the stance also looks better. The body looks pretty flat and just a slight rake. In the front there appears to be only a slight fender gap and the rear just slightly more than that.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man. Looking forward to driving it more and getting used to it. I kept basically the same alignment and bar settings that I had before. I don’t know yet how it will behave in the corners and at high speed cruising but if my initial feelings are correct it will be amazing :D
Now just imagine what it's like with 285 rubber all around :D

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Now just imagine what it's like with 285 rubber all around :D
Indeed. New wheels and tires will be next. Hopefully when the spring or summer rolls around. I’m probably gonna do 19x10s.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Excellent!

I am very happy to see your initial impressions.

Typically with stiffer springs, you know immediately whether or not you will be "okay" with them. Of course, you can end up thinking they are not the right choice for various reasons, but if you are happy with them and notice more pros than cons initially - you will likely end up liking them more than anything else you have used. Now I can't wait to see your thoughts when you push the car harder.

And yes, more rubber!

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
One thing I have noticed so far that I did not like -

A few times after I've come to stop, like at a light or at stop sign, and I'm almost at the top of the hill... When I get on the throttle and make the turn, the rear inside tire comes off the ground as I come over the hill and the car cuts engine power on me. In other words - a stumble more or less. It's happened on three occasions. This is not full throttle this is maybe 1/4 throttle or less. And with traction control on normally.

Now, the ground is not flat, there was a hill and a bump in the road in each instance. I am thinking this is to be expected given the high linear rate in the rear. However, in this type of situation with the FRPP springs the tire would stay on the ground more or less and the car didn't cut power on me.

Next time I encounter this scenario I will try it with all the nannies off and see if that makes any difference. Losing a bit of traction in this situation doesn't bother me and I think is normal. But the feeling of the engine cutting power on me is disconcerting.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you need less rear bar and/or more front. Less rear more likely.
Sponsored