Sponsored

Massive Drivetrain Vibration

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
After my Kenne Bell install I have developed massive Drivetrain Vibration. It happens at idle to 1000 rpm and then to 4000 rpm. Shakes bad in the car in the highway and rattles the interior especially behind the gauge cluster.

I'm not sure if it's the billet mounts or the headers vibrating. There is 1/8 to 1/4 gap between the drivers header and the steering shaft. Everything is torqued to spec.

I'm also thinking maybe lowering the engine with the exhaust on bound it up. I do have the streeda transmissio n support i insert in but I can't imagine it makes it this bad.

There is plenty of clearance between the hood and the blower too.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
You've hard mounted your engine?
No. Kenne Bell requires billet mounts to lower the engine to fit the blower. They are billet with poly inserts. I haven't heard of anyone else complain of this issue.

cobra99dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a small amount of vibration with my KB mounts. Wasn't as severe as you are describing though. I found that the oil pan was contacting the top of the steering rack where there are two raised humps from the casting. I was able to raise the engine and grind those off and no issues since.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
what else was changed during the install? i'd look at everything that was changed..your bound to find it..

Sponsored

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I had a small amount of vibration with my KB mounts. Wasn't as severe as you are describing though. I found that the oil pan was contacting the top of the steering rack where there are two raised humps from the casting. I was able to raise the engine and grind those off and no issues since.
I'll check that.

Dominate, I have checked everything to a t. Everything is torqued to spec. I also removed the streeda trans bushing and it didn't help.

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

So I wanted to close the loop on this. After ford replaced the driveshaft and rear gear due to slop, I still had some interior resonance. It was so bad that the instrument cluster trim would vibrate as well as the dash pieces around the center console gauges. Per Dave's advice I looked at the oil pan to steering rack clearance. All 3 casting marks were touching the oil pan. I raised the engine up and used a bastard file to grind them down. The middle casting mark made a 1/8 in relief mark into the oil pan from where it was vibrating. I'm surprised this didn't cause any knock issues as bad as it was rubbing and vibrating. I then lowered the engine back down and now the whole oil pan was sitting on the steering rack. I decided to shim the motor mounts with washers to get a 1/8th clearance all the way around. This did require me to notch the hood around the throttle body and bypass valve, but it looks like factory holes the way I did it.

Tha is Dave for the advice. The vibration is all gone. I did call and let Kenne Bell know about this. I also sent them pictures and measurements just in case I happened to get a mount that was machined incorrectly.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Prime reason not to get a KB blower. Yes, I own a whipple but the sole reason I bought it was because of silliness like this. The other downside to KB is having to take the inlet apart to change spark plugs.

Tony

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Prime reason not to get a KB blower. Yes, I own a whipple but the sole reason I bought it was because of silliness like this. The other downside to KB is having to take the inlet apart to change spark plugs.

Tony
It's actually really easy. I can change plus in 25 mins. 8 bolts, 4 hose clamps, and a belt.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Kenney Bell? What is this, 2003?
Sponsored