Headlight HID Plug removal and clip

RStoepel93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP (Ordered)
Hey guys. I'm wondering how you unplug the plug going into the headlight bulb. It has an orange ring around it and I can't get it to disconnect. Also, once I put the bulb back, how do you lock it in place with the wire clip?
Sponsored

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hey guys. I'm wondering how you unplug the plug going into the headlight bulb. It has an orange ring around it and I can't get it to disconnect. Also, once I put the bulb back, how do you lock it in place with the wire clip?
You ever figure the clip out? This just happened to me yesterday and I lost the screw and my bulb is pointing the wrong way and isn't fully seated.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
The connection to the bulb has a clip on it that holds it from fully disconnecting. You'll need to press it in, and use a screw driver to push down on the connector at the same time. Once that is released there is two metal clips that hold the bulb in place. If your looking at the back of the headlamp you push the left one to the left, and the right one to the right. That frees up the bulb.

If you go to CJpony parts website, and look up OEM bulb replacements there is a video on there. BTW you dont have to take your bumper off. Turn your wheels, pull out the plastic fasteners in your wheel wells, and bend back your wheel well liner, from there you can get to the lights.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The connection to the bulb has a clip on it that holds it from fully disconnecting. You'll need to press it in, and use a screw driver to push down on the connector at the same time. Once that is released there is two metal clips that hold the bulb in place. If your looking at the back of the headlamp you push the left one to the left, and the right one to the right. That frees up the bulb.

If you go to CJpony parts website, and look up OEM bulb replacements there is a video on there. BTW you dont have to take your bumper off. Turn your wheels, pull out the plastic fasteners in your wheel wells, and bend back your wheel well liner, from there you can get to the lights.
Thanks. I ended up figuring it out. Didn't need the screw driver. Just depressed the clips by hand and got them on the same way.

kenbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to revive an old thread...

I can't for the life of me get the metal pins to close.... Only one side on both. I have to be missing something....
Sponsored