Sponsored

Really bad drone from new catback exhaust? How to fix?

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Installed a Flowmaster catback exhaust Wednesday.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-american-thunder-catback-2015eco.html

At low RPMs its not bad. 3k+ and its really droney. Some trial and error figured out its coming from the trunk.

Pulled the spare tire; stuffed it with some foam padding we had. Little better.

Ran to the car audio store and got some dynomat - covered the mid section of the trunk lid. Covered the entire spare tire well; up the sides and the bottom of the trunk. Tapped on everything with the wood side of a mallet - anything that sounded hollow or it might move - covered it. Any and all holes got covered.

Adjusted the rubber stoppers on the trunk lid to make it tighter when closed.

Covered the backside of the rear license plate.

It's better for sure but it's still really loud inside the car. Like a hollow sound.

Any other ideas? Is this just how these muffler are?

If nothing else, I've got a good base for some subs? lol...

Thanks guys.
Sponsored

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
IIRC these are about as loud as it get so I doubt you can do much to quiet it down unless you want to hack it with a small resonator or 2.

Either that, or you could upgrade the sound system to cover the noise :thumbsup:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
This just goes to prove these vendors will sell you any useless thing you desire .

You might think about looking into vibrant resonators that you may have installed into the muffler tubing .

Last edited:
OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
The sound deadening material has helped. Or I'm just getting used to it.

Maybe as it's been broken in it's softened up a bit - took a good 200 mile round trip to Toronto this last weekend (indy car race). QEW speeds it's loud for sure, but around town / on my way to work, it's "tolerable".

Regarding "This just goes to prove these vendors will sell you any useless thing you desire."

I don't think it's AM's fault or the fault of Flowmaster. This is my first after market exhaust so I suppose I didn't know what "loud" really meant.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you are going to live with the drone ?'

Sponsored

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
For now at least. The old one is gone with the trash by now and I'm not about to spend another $800+ for a different sound. Maybe I'll try one of those Vibrant resonators but I'm used to it now.

So long as it doesn't sound like a Civic (which I don't think it does) I'll live with it for now.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to inform you . Your 5 year warranty has been voided .

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
For changing an exhaust ? Now that's funny...

The tune maybe and the methanol injection I'm installing as soon as it comes, yeah probably - but let's not be ridiculous and say the exhaust will void it.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9 out of 10 dealers will not agree with you . FOMOCO will for just an exhaust .

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
That's not true. The dealer cannot automatically void you warranty unless the aftermarket part you installed is the thing causing the issue you're having. Look at:
MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

I had lowering springs, catback exhaust, long tube headers, and an sct tune when my air compressor went out. took it to the dealer and they replaced it with no questions asked.

Sponsored

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
My dealer told me no problem for a catback and suspension mod when I asked about it. Kinda curious what they'll say when I ask them about an IC upgrade I'd like to do eventually.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
For now at least. The old one is gone with the trash by now and I'm not about to spend another $800+ for a different sound. Maybe I'll try one of those Vibrant resonators but I'm used to it now.

So long as it doesn't sound like a Civic (which I don't think it does) I'll live with it for now.
Something else to consider: the exhaust note may be coupling with the fake engine noise pumped through the car's speakers. This is N/A if you have a Ford Performance tune installed; I believe that tune disables the fake noise.

You can turn off the fake noise if you have access to Forscan software and the correct OBDII device. If you'd like more details shoot me a PM.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I would try a pair of vibrant resonators, just be aware of what you wish for however, sometimes putting them in will lessen the drone but also may drop the volume to close to stock levels, so just be aware that its a balancing act.

That said I would disconnect just the rear microphone above the head liner, it is one of two mics that pics up the exhaust note and amplifies it through the stereo, it will not reduce the drone but it may make it less "boomy" so it will appear less in the cabin first.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
That said I would disconnect just the rear microphone above the head liner, it is one of two mics that pics up the exhaust note and amplifies it through the stereo, it will not reduce the drone but it may make it less "boomy" so it will appear less in the cabin first.
I recall seeing a video on youtube of the fake engine noises without the engine running. The system was in some sort of diagnostic mode, and the fake noises went up and down when the RPM indication changed.

In other words, I don't think the microphone has anything to do with the fake engine noises. I think the engine noises are recorded and played back; the microphone is part of the active noise cancelation system. You have to disable the fake engine noises in the computer.
Sponsored