Rock chips on a Ruby Red :(

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Somehow managed to get this cluster of rock chips on my car. I tossed the touchup over it hastily for a first pass . Then I got 2 body shop estimates . $900 and $700 .

I then ordered some Dr. Colorchip . I will let you know how it turns out.

Unless someone else has a better idea ? :) :shrug:

chip2.jpg

chip1.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I also hate when I post in the wrong forum ...

Though Dr.Colorchip is a mod , it doesn't repair the chip , just hides it ... yes that's my angle.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
This doesn't help after the fact, but next time you buy a new car put a clear bra on it. The cost to repair that (doing it right) would have paid for the clear bra.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This doesn't help after the fact, but next time you buy a new car put a clear bra on it. The cost to repair that (doing it right) would have paid for the clear bra.
I hate the line the clearbra leaves if you only do part of the hood , I would of had to do the whole front clip . The bumper quote was $700 or so if I remember correctly , like 1000 to cover up to where those chips are, and I'd imagine 1500+ to do the front clip .

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Find a good Hot Rod shop and see if their painter will air brush the area in Race Red/Clear and blend it into the fender corner. There a couple of ace painters around here that would do that and you'd never really notice it!

Sponsored

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Dr.Colorchip works if you have shallow road rash. It's what I use and I'm happy with the results.
There's a method where you fill the deep chips with a dab or droplet of paint.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/rock-chip-touch-tool-museum-911/

Not sure which method would work best without a closer look but if you just DrColorchip it you will definitely improve the appearance immediately.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I hate the line my clear bra makes too. But love the damage free front clip I've had after 2 years. I hope the Dr. Colorchip works out!

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Dr.Colorchip works if you have shallow road rash. It's what I use and I'm happy with the results.
There's a method where you fill the deep chips with a dab or droplet of paint.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/rock-chip-touch-tool-museum-911/

Not sure which method would work best without a closer look but if you just DrColorchip it you will definitely improve the appearance immediately.
You can also do multiple coat to build it up . I will probably try that if the first try doesn’t work . I figured I at least have a coat of touch up down first ;)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Being a RR owner too - I'm curious to see how you make out with fixing using the Dr Colorchip product. I have some very small chips down low on side near rockers - not many and most other people don't even notice...

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I had a whole mess of rock chips and door dings. I ordered the Dr. Colorchip kit and went to town with it. I'm really pleased with the results. I can't even tell where most of the chips were, I actually have to hunt for them.

It's a great product, I'm really impressed with it.

Reactions: AXO

Sponsored

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
i have the RR Dr Colorchip kit and it worked awesome. Dont be afraid to do more than one coat. I had a couple that were a little deeper that needed a second to make it look good.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I prepped the area with alcohol first , then did the dab , smear , wait 5 min , seal act, buff. Repeated four times smearing front to back , back to front , up and down , down and up . Varied the smear direction each time.

It's better, the pics certainly make it look better, but I know its there so I may have some bias. It's not 100% by any means , but $50 for the kit vs $700-900 for the body shop I can live with it.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

And a random pic , just cuz

IMG_2530.JPG

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
kinda looks the same to me.

ruby red is by far one of the worst paints to repair. it's a 3 layer paint. if you care about easy repair, a flat color is what you want. no flake, no multiple layers. makes repair far easier.

some hot rod shops like mentioned above can do air brushing. however, you'll still see them as the paint / flake will not lay the same as the original layer of paint. The only way to make it completely invisible is to repaint the entire panel.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I spoke to a good bodyshop last night and got the rundown on RR , PITA to fix, probably bite the bullet and spend the 3k or so in a year to fix the other rock chips I am going to get , and Xpel bumpers/fenders/hood

It looks more even and a little darker . Probably would of been the same if I built up 4-5 layers of the touchup .

The before was one layer of touch up

I am thinking I might do one more pass with the Dr. Colorchip

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Yea man doesn't look any different to me really, if more passes with Dr. colorchip don't work snag the motorcraft paint/clear coat pen on amazon ($15) and try that instead. I've had some good luck with that and a little bit of paint thinner and I have metallic paint as well

Just make sure you use micro brushes/ toothpicks to dab the paint in
Sponsored