Sponsored

Trying to figure out a new found harshness, could I be hitting the bumpstops?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2015 vert with BMR min drop springs, PP dampers, and GT350R bars.

My lastest round of mods consisted of:
Whipple stage 2
Conti ECS on Forgestar CF5v replacing stock Perillis on Foundrys.
Baer 2 piece rotors

The car hits hard on moderate or greater bumps. I lost about a 1/4" of ride height with the Whipple. The car also has a lot of rake to it, so more weight towards the front.

I do realize that I went up a performance category with the tires but I am wondering if I am hitting the bump stops now. I believe that I trimmed them when I did the springs, but who knows can that 1/4" make such a difference?

I expected this new combo to ride better than stock, not worse. As I eliminated around 25lbs per side in unsprung weight. :frusty:
Rosie wheels.jpg
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
What are your ambient temperatures like? Cold weather + high performance summer tires can certainly equal a crashing ride. Other than that, I would look toward poor damper performance before blaming bump-stops in your case.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Does it feel like it's bouncing and kind of uncontrolled over bumps? When I changed my suspension I was told I didn't need to trim the bumpstops. But whenever I'd go onto some bumpy roads it felt like it was all over the place. Got them trimmed and it nearly all went away.

I doubt 1/4" is enough to need a bumpstop trim but you could always get in there and take a look for yourself.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What are your ambient temperatures like? Cold weather + high performance summer tires can certainly equal a crashing ride. Other than that, I would look toward poor damper performance before blaming bump-stops in your case.
Good point it's been in the 40's here

Does it feel like it's bouncing and kind of uncontrolled over bumps? When I changed my suspension I was told I didn't need to trim the bumpstops. But whenever I'd go onto some bumpy roads it felt like it was all over the place. Got them trimmed and it nearly all went away.

I doubt 1/4" is enough to need a bumpstop trim but you could always get in there and take a look for yourself.
Yeah it's not bouncey....just harsh.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
The dampers control how the spring reacts. In compression that is when you might hit the stops or some other suspension component if compression is too light for the spring rate. If you put lowering springs on the car (say a stiffer spring), now you have less compression range in the strut. Might be as much as .5" at the strut. And you added weight to the front reducing the range further. In combination it's likely you are overpowering the strut valving on compression given the range available. Doesn't mean you're hitting the stops. Might be a suspension component or fender well. So yes, .25" can make a difference especially in dive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24974]qtrracer[/MENTION] That makes sense I've got stock PP dampers on there now. I've been eye balling a set of Steeda fixed or maybe even adjustable?

Think its time for an upgrade?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24974]qtrracer[/MENTION] That makes sense I've got stock PP dampers on there now. I've been eye balling a set of Steeda fixed or maybe even adjustable?

If you upgrade I'd recommend the Ford Racing track dampers. Great monotubes, GT350 valving.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's so tempting to get them and try them out based on how much you rave about them, they sound great. Just have no money for it at this point.

There is a set for sale in the classifieds forum too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's so tempting to get them and try them out based on how much you rave about them, they sound great. Just have no money for it at this point.

There is a set for sale in the classifieds forum too.
Good find.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

First I would check your rear bump-stops, make sure you have a least one inch clearance at curb.

The Steeda Pro-Action fixed valve or adjustables are Great! They will improve your ride quality by design.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored