Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I have a few pretty close friends who have done high end paint / auto body for years. I remember hearing them talk about a customer who had just spent a ton of money on a paint job on a Vette restoration. Guy planned on driving it a lot. Wanted to know if the 'high end' ceramic or other protective applications were worth it.

Their answer? If you don't regular detail it yourself or pay someone (who knows what they are doing) and if you can afford it and it's worth it TO YOU - go for it. They said otherwise most of the coatings don't protect anymore than simply keeping the car clean, and regular polishing / sealing.

Take that FWIW. I know one of 'em gets pissed when customers talks about using a semi-permanent coating over one of his paint jobs. He spend a ton of time wet sanding / compounding / polishing before this jobs leave his shop. Obviously he doesn't do run of the mill insurance / quick spray jobs.

Me personally, my routine for my new '17 will be the same as my other vehicles.

Right after Winter and right before Winter, I'll wash the car in dawn to strip everything off. Hit it with a claybar. Wash. Polish. Then Wipe on Wipe Off Sealant, usually 2-3 coats. Personally I really like the Ultima Plus :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UOCSG4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wash it regularly (foam cannon is amusing and I can do that or a 2 bucket wash in a 20 minutes if I'm in a hurry) and might throw another coat of Ultima on it every couple of months.

I daily drive my vehicles. Rain or shine or snow. My last car was 6 years old and the paint looked great, in fact most people thought it had been repainted.

Like someone else said. Buy an orbital, read the detailing forums, and if you have the time and some $ (not a ton) you'll be surprised how easy it is to teach yourself "paint correction" which takes care of anything beyond deep scratches that have breached the clear coat or base coat.

I also keep a bottle of quick detailer in the trunk so I can wipe off bird shit and other stuff that happens when you drive a car everyday. The Ultima did make a HUGE difference during pollen season and other stuff comes off much easier.

Just my 2 cents
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I don't have any time to do it actually, lol. I get it detailed and waxed. But it's $120ish each time. So far i've only had it done once (about 2 months ago). And I get it hand washed usually once a week. About to get it waxed again unless I go another route.

I'm actually now thinking about a ceramic coating, mostly to help keep it clean and glossy becuase the nice waxed look doesn't last long. Have to compare the different options out there. I won't be doing it myself though, I enjoy working on my car in the small amount of time I have available but cleaning it, etc just isnt my cup of tea.

I don't have any issues with swirls or scratches, at least not any that I can see. I'd just like it to "look" waxed all the time after just a wash, and I think thats what a ceramic coating will do, what do you guys think?
Ceramic will speed up your washes and look shinier than anything else.
My personal opinion is that I am willing to spend about $2 on clear film for $1 I might otherwise spend on ceramic. Clear film is not as shiny but the protection can't be beat, especially for vinyl graphics and general washes.

Ceramic on the wheels is what I really desire, to speed up wheel cleaning, but they always quote me $400 the set. :(

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Ceramic will speed up your washes and look shinier than anything else.
My personal opinion is that I am willing to spend about $2 on clear film for $1 I might otherwise spend on ceramic. Clear film is not as shiny but the protection can't be beat, especially for vinyl graphics and general washes.

Ceramic on the wheels is what I really desire, to speed up wheel cleaning, but they always quote me $400 the set. :(
Ceramic on wheels sounds like a great idea, especially on PP wheels lol

Wax gets my vote

Watch "Ceramic Coatings vs Waxing. Explained" on YouTube
Thanks for the video, might be sticking with wax :thumbsup:

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black on my car & wheels. One of the best things I ever did to my car! Has 7 year warranty too!

20170317_102903.jpg

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Ceramic on wheels sounds like a great idea, especially on PP wheels lol

Thanks for the video, might be sticking with wax :thumbsup:
For myself and guys not afraid to tackle the Ceramic process themselves, ...it's a no- brainer!! I will gladly spend 3 days every 2-3yrs removing and re-applying the Ceramic. The finish is beyond comparable!! The overall upkeep is a breeze in between applications and the shine...IMHO....is superior to wax finishes. My car remains in the garage every 5 months of the winter!! Every situation is indeed different! This coming from a retired car guy with nothing but loving care and time on his hands! Thanx for hearing me out. The cars he refers to in the end are high dollar total restoration vehicles that never....never looked that good from the factory! Would I Ceramic coat them.....in a Heartbeat, you bet!!:cheers::headbang::headbang:

Also.....let's not forget the guy in the video is selling wax....what else would he say, he is definitely biased!!

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
my new car has ceramic pro 9h on it, was done by the po.. i got her home did a reload on it and she looks as good as day one ,i think there well worth the time and effort.and like i said mines garaged all night and when im not driving her so im sure that helps being out of the elements

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Ceramic Pro 9H here as well. Wheels and window treatment done also. Installed by an authorized dealer in town who deals in mostly HIGH end cars for Manheim Auto Auction located here in Manheim, Pa. Having the biggest auto auction company in the world near by has its advantages for choices of detailing shops. Lancaster Auto Graphics is the best in the business.
Sponsored