Replaced center speaker...now my bass from the doors is better?

SMUAlien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does the db351 require any modification to the dash are in order for it to fit or is it plug and play?

Yes, I had to slightly widen the hole the speaker sits in otherwise it would not sit flush. I used an exacto knife and cut small slivers away until it sat flush. If it does not sit flush, it collides with the cover/grill that goes over the top.

Further, the old speaker had a clip to keep the connector/harness from moving around in your dash. I reused this connector by soldering the wires to the new speaker. What I did was wrap the connector up in a small amount of foam weather stripping and tape it down to the air duct. I was concerned the connector would bounce within the dash a bit and introduce a rattle.

I do have a spare db351 if anyone is interested. The problem is I'm sure it would cost a bit to ship it. I'd take $20 (exactly 1/2 the price I paid for 2)+shipping for it.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
My Polk fit the hole without any mods. I had to pushing down and twist as I installed it. It sat flush. Grille snapped into place with no interference. Definitely like the sound difference.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So I'd like to try this but if I don't like the change I might want to go back to stock speaker - would that be difficult since you have to cut the connector to install the Polk? Any pics of the connector?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
My Polk fit the hole without any mods. I had to pushing down and twist as I installed it. It sat flush. Grille snapped into place with no interference. Definitely like the sound difference. ��
I used the same method to under mount my Polk, too. I did trim a little of dash material off where the cable pokes out with tin snips. I slid one ear of the Polk underneath and rotated/twisted the speaker until it was entirely below the dash. Lined up the bolt holes, bolted it in place and done. No grill modification needed.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I got mine in today. I did notice that the bass from the doors seemed more pronounced when I tested with the center speaker unplugged. Also noticed that with the center speaker unplugged that everything just sounded cleaner overall. My system was extremely muddy from day 1 and the center speaker would flood the front stage with crappy sound and wash out the right side. Installing the Polk seems to have lowered the center speaker volume to an appropriate level and really cleared up the overall sound for me. I definitely had to trim the speaker mount about an eight of an inch wider in diameter to fit the Polk. I used a box knife with a fresh blade and that made quick work of the job.

Bass was never an issue for me, just muddy sound (12 speaker). If I had to do it all over again, I would just replace the center speaker and the 3.5s in the door with coax’s as these three speakers made the biggest improvement for me.

Only took two hours taking my time. I give this mod five stars!:cheers:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So I'd like to try this but if I don't like the change I might want to go back to stock speaker - would that be difficult since you have to cut the connector to install the Polk? Any pics of the connector?
Very easy to revert back if you want, assuming you know how to solder.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing is probably important to know - before you guys installed the Polk, was your stereo Occupancy Mode set for Driver or All Seats? I found that the Driver setting sounded MUCH better. I wonder if those who you feel the Polks made s big difference are comparing it to the All Seats setting - maybe if you were running the Driver setting you wouldn’t have noticed as big a difference?

Last edited:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
One thing is probably important to know - before you guys installed the Polk, was your stereo Occupancy Mode set for Driver or All Seats? I found that the Driver setting sounded MUCH better. I wonder if those who you feel the Polks made s big difference are comparing it to the All Seats setting - maybe if you were running the Driver setting you wouldn’t have noticed as big a difference?
I’ve favored the “all seats” mode. I didn’t even think to test the Driver mode after the Polk install.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The all seats mode sounds terrible. Also the source has a huge impact on sound quality.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve favored the “all seats” mode. I didn’t even think to test the Driver mode after the Polk install.
Did you try it before the Polk install? I wonder how many Polk upgraders ever even tried Driver first. A lot of Shaker 12 speaker reviews say how crappy it sounds, and I agree when it All Seats mode. But when I switched to Driver, it was like a whole new system. I wonder how much better the Polk upgrade is compared to Driver mode, not All Seats mode.

Reactions: A7X

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I use and prefer Driver mode.... I tried both after installing the Polk, still prefer Driver mode.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use and prefer Driver mode.... I tried both after installing the Polk, still prefer Driver mode.

Does Driver with Polk sound significatly better than Driver before Polk?

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Yes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Exactly what does “Driver mode” do as far as the sound stage? To me it almost sounds like it knocks out the rears and moves everything to the front and to the “driver side”... almost unbalanced...

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Did you try it before the Polk install? I wonder how many Polk upgraders ever even tried Driver first. A lot of Shaker 12 speaker reviews say how crappy it sounds, and I agree when it All Seats mode. But when I switched to Driver, it was like a whole new system. I wonder how much better the Polk upgrade is compared to Driver mode, not All Seats mode.
Sure I did. But understand I was having awful issuses with my front sound stage and driver mode amplified
it. Just put the muddy mess front and center. It was unbearable. I prefer the better balanced All Seats mode. But I will play with driver mode today and see what its like now.