Brake dust and clunk sound in first

bless0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ingot Silver GT/PP/AE/MR Recaros
Hello everyone, I am new to mustangs. I recently bought a 17 GT Prem/PP 6MT with only 1890 miles on her. I absolutely love the car and the performance. I've already made a few mods after buying items from members on this great forum.JLT CAI, SC XT4, Roush axle backs. I have 2 things that bug me about the car, and hopefully someone can help explain the issue or have a solution.

1. every time i put the car in 1st gear, i get a mild clunk sound. I could almost feel the tranny get in gear. It is very similar to my Harley when i put it in gear from a standing stop. Is this normal or should it be smooth and quiet and unnoticeable? Is there a gear oil i could change to that would make it less of a clunk.

2. Brake dust. OMG these stock brake pads leave so much brake dust. Is anyone using a brake pad that doesn't leave so much dust?
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
1. is normal. Mine does sometimes, not every single time. But everything I have read on this forum, all MT-82s do it to some degree.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
had same clunk but im at 8k miles currently and either its gone away for i dont notice it as much anymore. its notorious. several posts in the drivetrain section on this topic.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
1) My transmission has been clunking from day 1 and im now at 25k miles and its still there. I just learned to live with it. Replacing your transmission fluid will not make it go away but it will make your car shift smoother.
2) I'm using Z26 pads and they barely make any dust and stop as good as stock, just a little less grabby maybe.

Last edited:

M2C3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT PP 401a Manual
Now at 25k miles, mine still clunks when going into first gear. I haven't worried about it.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
1) My transmission has been clunking from day 1 and im now at 25k miles and its still there. I just learned to live with it. Replacing your transmission fluid will not make it go away but it will make your car shift smoother.
2) I'm using Z26 pads and they barely make any dust and stop as good as stock, just a little less grabby maybe.
Ditto to above.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I've replaced my last 2 performance car's brake pads with Hawk ceramics and have nothing but good things to say about them. I only have 200 miles on my PP GT but will put these on soon.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
My tranny was clunky and sloppy when I first got it. Changed fluid to BG Syncro II Synthetic. I don’t know if putting on a weighted shift knob at the same time had anything to do with it, but now it’s like driving with a different transmission. Huge improvement.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I don't think it's actually the transmission clunking, it's play in the driveline at the rear end. When you put it in gear there's enough friction to put some load on the driveshaft and the excess lash in the rear end causes the clunk. If you think that's bad, you should hear it with the rear diff bushings changed to aluminum or black delrin, now that's a clunk. Go down and turn your driveshaft by hand with the car in gear, you'll get play and that makes the noise.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
My tranny was clunky and sloppy when I first got it. Changed fluid to BG Syncro II Synthetic. I don’t know if putting on a weighted shift knob at the same time had anything to do with it, but now it’s like driving with a different transmission. Huge improvement.
All psycho-sematic man. Neither of those will help clunking. Especially the BG fluid. I wish I would've never done the synchro II.. drained it out after 3 months and went to royal purple. Still clunks but at least I know it meets MT82 requirements.

Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I would've never done the synchro II.. drained it out after 3 months and went to royal purple.
Why is this ? Can you elaborate ?

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why is this ? Can you elaborate ?
It did nothing to improve upon the original ford fluid yet managed to get hot quicker. I basically pissed away the money I spent on it. The royal purple actually doesn't get as hot or as quick. I don't think fluid will do anything but give you a piece of mind to be honest but I'd honestly rather have the original fluid ford put in it rather that the bg. That's saying a lot because I'm a fan of bg products.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you determine it was heating up more quickly?
infrared thermometer. I know it isn't the best way, but adding that to how quickly my clutch would start slipping (due to heat) when the bg was in it was enough for me to switch it out and believe what I do about it

Last edited:

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Are you talking about drag racing or road course?

Sounds like there are many variables at play and I'm not drawing conclusions that it was fluid.
Clutch slipping also wouldn't be tied transmission fluid temps.
Sponsored