"Suitcase" resonator questions...

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
I have a lethal performance H pipe and the FRPP touring axle backs and It's at least for my tastes pretty much perfect. There is no rasp, and no drone, just a mellow deep tone when accelerating. I ran the stock mufflers with the H pipe for two years. The FRPP touring is approximately 20% louder than the stock with H pipe was on acceleration and start-up. On the road cruising at 55-75 mph very little difference at all. The FRPP by Borla is a bit expensive but worth every penny IMO.
Cool - thanks for the detail! That's the kind of sound that I'm looking for, too. However, I'm surprised with my '18 non-active valve exhaust how loud it is on cold start with H-pipe and stock mufflers. So if the touring is about 20% louder than stock then it's going to be pretty loud. Yes, they're not cheap but I'd rather pay up for something that doesn't rasp or drone. Any idea how much each touring muffler weighs?

On a positive note, I was stopped side-by-side at a light with a Michigan State Police officer earlier today and when the light turned green we both left at the same time. He backed off a little so he was slightly behind me and he eventually sped up and drove off. So I guess my car wasn't loud enough to draw too much attention from him even though I thought it was pretty loud!
Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool - thanks for the detail! That's the kind of sound that I'm looking for, too. However, I'm surprised with my '18 non-active valve exhaust how loud it is on cold start with H-pipe and stock mufflers. So if the touring is about 20% louder than stock then it's going to be pretty loud. Yes, they're not cheap but I'd rather pay up for something that doesn't rasp or drone. Any idea how much each touring muffler weighs?

On a positive note, I was stopped side-by-side at a light with a Michigan State Police officer earlier today and when the light turned green we both left at the same time. He backed off a little so he was slightly behind me and he eventually sped up and drove off. So I guess my car wasn't loud enough to draw too much attention from him even though I thought it was pretty loud!
The FRPP/Borla AB is actually not very heavy. To me its the perfect sound. Especially with longtubes.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year

I'm not sure the exact weight, but the Borla's were significantly lighter than the stock was. I might add as well my car is a 2015. I am not sure how the stock on the 15 differs from the stock on the 18 sound wise. I am old school....cut my teeth on the muscle cars of the late 60's. My set-up now is as close to the sound of the old muscle cars as I've heard if you are a fan of that sound. CJ Pony Parts has a video of the sound of the FRPP by Borla axle backs with an MRT H pipe. I don't know if it is the difference in the H pipe (mine is a Lethal Performance) or just the fact that I'm listening on a computer but the CJ video sounds like it is a bit raspy. Mine is not the least bit raspy or does it drone at any speed.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
seems like an appropriate username.
Well played...

...but I wouldn't advocate for it if it didn't sound downright damn good. There are always gonna be people who overpay for stupid shit because they think of it as a status symbol or something.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well played...

...but I wouldn't advocate for it if it didn't sound downright damn good. There are always gonna be people who overpay for stupid shit because they think of it as a status symbol or something.
Or maybe there are tangible benefits to them they you either don't care about or don't hear. Either way, I've heard both types (muffler shop job vs several leading brand catbacks), and the choice was clear for me, and clearly was for hundreds, thousands of others. Death metal concert vs. Symphony.

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Or maybe there are tangible benefits to them they you either don't care about or don't hear. Either way, I've heard both types (muffler shop job vs several leading brand catbacks), and the choice was clear for me, and clearly was for hundreds, thousands of others. Death metal concert vs. Symphony.
Well, everyone has opinions. I don't fault you for yours.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
I'm not sure the exact weight, but the Borla's were significantly lighter than the stock was. I might add as well my car is a 2015. I am not sure how the stock on the 15 differs from the stock on the 18 sound wise. I am old school....cut my teeth on the muscle cars of the late 60's. My set-up now is as close to the sound of the old muscle cars as I've heard if you are a fan of that sound. CJ Pony Parts has a video of the sound of the FRPP by Borla axle backs with an MRT H pipe. I don't know if it is the difference in the H pipe (mine is a Lethal Performance) or just the fact that I'm listening on a computer but the CJ video sounds like it is a bit raspy. Mine is not the least bit raspy or does it drone at any speed.
We're both from the same time-zone and looking for that old-school muscle car sound from the 60's - 70's. (I'm now 63!)

And, yes, the videos never really seem to sound like the real deal and that's what makes it so hard to hear what a car really sounds like.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I have the glasspak & long tip setup on a '77 C10 350 (true dual), nearly open pipes (small non-restrictive baffles) on a Harley 103 (2-1-2), bone stock on a 5.4L F250 and H-pipe with S-types on the '16 GTPP.

Each one is quite appropriate for what it is... I couldn't imagine the '77 sound out of the Mustang... Although when i get back around to it the C10 will probably get a bit more mellow, but I'll keep the true stereo sound.

eduranjr

2018 Mustang GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium and Black Appereance
Vehicle Showcase
Just install the H pipe to my 18 GT w/active exhaust. It sounds far better than stock. Here is a youtube video comparison, stock vs H Pipe... do it bro...

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
If we had to put a number on it, we would say the difference is around 15% using the resonated X.
So you're saying about 15% LOUDER than the stock resonator, correct?

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
We're both from the same time-zone and looking for that old-school muscle car sound from the 60's - 70's. (I'm now 63!)

And, yes, the videos never really seem to sound like the real deal and that's what makes it so hard to hear what a car really sounds like.
Yeah....I got you beat by three years, I'm 66. I think you would enjoy the FRPP Borla touring. They are not that loud to me at least. You can give em a listen if you want when I come visit my brother in a couple months.....he lives in Saint Claire Shores.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Installed Steeda H on my stock 2018.

Sounds great and installed easy. I would definitely recommend the Steeda H pipe.
Sponsored