Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Ecoboost

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
I’ve owned my 2017 mustang GT 5.0 for one year now. I just got back from Hawaii where they upgraded me to a 2018 mustang eco-boost. Both cars are convertibles.

Let me be clear early on, that this is not a knock on the eco-boost.

My Mustang GT, even though it only has the six speed automatic transmission, clearly out performed in every way imaginable over the eco-boost. I had heard so many good things about the eco-boost motor and was excited to try it for a week, but performance was very lackluster, there was no great exhaust sound, and it was pretty and enjoyable for me.

Again, not knocking the eco-boost, they are great looking cars and still super cool convertibles. Just not my cup of tea.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EB PP, 2016 Buick Verano
All fair points, OP. A stock Ecoboost does not measure up to the GT. However, the great thing about the EB is you can add-on certain parts that really unlock the potential performance. Sure, it will never measure up to feel of a GT, but by adding certain parts, it becomes a completely different, and enjoyable, car to drive.

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
In defense of the Ecoboost, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the rental company fills the tank with lower octane fuel which causes the Eco to default to a lower HP/TQ output.
If the car is fueled with 91+octane fuel the ECM bumps the HP/TQ to the higher output which makes for a great little fun pony with the spirit to sprint.
At the same time the front end handling should feel lighter due to less engine weight hanging out front of the cabin.

As mentioned, while it is not V8 power/sound/performance in stock form, but if you will pay a few extra cents per gallon, add a few more dollars for the FPP tune and GT350 intake($511) you will surely have many miles of pleasurable driving ahead of you or behind you depending of if you are looking out the windshield or the rearview mirror.

In full disclosure, comments on the FPP/350 Intake are only stated from what I have read and not first hand experience. If confirmation is requested however, the FPP/intake package is scheduled to be installed in my 2017 Eco tomorrow morning.

No offense to your post as to not being impressed with the Ecoboost, the first time that I drove one I was more than not impressed in it's overall seat of the pants lack luster trot towards a gallop.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
The Ecoboost 'vert takes a huge performance hit. Think about it: The convertible adds 250 lbs. to the vehicle, and you're talking about a more peaky, punchy engine...

As an Ecoboost owner, I'd never own an Ecoboost convertible, at least one that I expected to perform :clap2: (note: you can get the Ecoboost PP on the convertible, too, if you want to expose yourself to lots of dealer ridicule at order time).

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
The Ecoboost is fast and a great value. I was more then impressed when I drove one. Way faster then my old Camaro's and Mustang from back in the day

But then I drove the GT and i had to have it. Thats the problem, the GT is way faster but your paying for it.

Spoolie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 ecoboost
Did your rental have a performance pack? I doubt it did. Makes a noticeable difference. Also did you mess with any of the modes. My A10 ecoboost on drag mode is nuts. Whip your neck back during shifts and breaks the tires loose every shift up until like 5th gear.

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
Eco Boost

I've had both...much prefer the EB...so much more low end torque....just traded in my V8 with manual, premium, PP for another EB. Just don't get all the sanctity over the GT.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Oh boy. :doh: Thank you captain obvious for pointing out the GT performs better than an Ecoboost. Who would have guessed? A car that has 100+ horsepower advantage. And cost almost 10 grand more. Would perform better?Your just trying to outdue the 550 post auto vs. manual transmission pissing match thread. With this post. Huh? Don’t buy into this thread eb owners..

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
The only input I have on this topic is from a night at Houston Raceway Park (formally Royal Purple Raceway). Me in my new 18 GT with the A 10 and in the other lane, a 16 or 17 Ecoboost with MODS. Lets just say my base GT lost to the Ecoboost by about .05. On that run I had zero issues hooking up so it was pretty clean run on my end. I actually crossed the line first because my reaction time was .1 faster but on the slip, his time was faster.

So, the Ecoboost can be modded to run a pretty quick 1/4 mile.

In the end it still ain't no V8 and when I am done modding, I won't loose to a Ecoboost again. :)

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah tuned, catless, Eco on E is major difference from stock Eco. I would still take the 18 gt on corn though. :).

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Yeah tuned, catless, Eco on E is major difference from stock Eco. I would still take the 18 gt on corn though. :).
MMMM. Corn. I like corn. :headbang:

OP
OP
RangemasterP226

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Good points on my EB rental, lower grade gas and it was the heavier convertible, not to mention no PP. Good discussion so far, well except for the one guy above typing in blue/bold.

Nothing but respect for the EB, great motor.

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I think the EB is pretty fun, actually, even as a vert. My very first experience behind an S500 was a rental EB vert that I drove going south on the Pacific Coast Highway. That's an amazing drive in almost any car, and the S550 EB was a blast. I liked it so much that I decided to get my first pony the week after I came back to Detroit from that trip. I did get it as a fastback though, as convertibles are heavier *and* not practical in Michigan.

Unfortunately, I got rear-ended on the highway and the EB was totaled. Things turned out well with insurance, so I ended up upgrading to a 5.0 about a year ago. I definitely couldn't go back to an EB now. The EB was fun on windy roads and hills, but the 5.0 just keeps pulling and it gets better the faster you're going, whereas the EB falls flat on its face after a certain point. The sound of the V8 (even in the underwhelming stock form) is also *SO* much better -- intoxicating, really.

Long story short: I love the EB and think it's a fantastic car, but I could never go back after having a V8.
Sponsored