1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I may end up doing that. But at some point if I rarely drive the Vette because I am running kids around then it defeats the purpose of owning one. I don't really want a garage queen. On the plus side I bought the car used in winter and it had 2K miles and was way under book value. Sat on the dealer lot for 120+ days and nobody buys Corvettes in New England in February.

It was one of those mid life crisis decisions. I make good money but also have to plan for three kids and college in the future.
Nobody buys corvettes in Feb... Then you should sell till spring/summer!
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Was curious to get opinions, especially if someone has been in a similar situation to me (Corvette to Mustang).

First, I really love my C7. The car is so much fun to drive and it is my first American car (prior to that drove lots of Japanese sports cars and some German). I am in love with the V8 engine (mine has an Xpipe and NPP exhaust). My C7 is a 2016 Z51 with magride and a 7 speed manual.

So why sell a car you really like? Two reasons. One my wife's dream car is a Jeep Wrangler (she drives a Honda Odyssey which we have to keep). I have the C7 and a Honda Fit. If I sell both, based on KBB value, I could pickup a $40K or so Mustang GT and a newer Wrangler. My wife has made a ton of sacrifices and I thought it would be great to surprise her this year with the Wrangler.

Second reason, we have three kids and I find myself 2-3 days a week now having to run straight from work to dance, ice skating, or parkour... I need a backseat as none of them are big enough to sit in the front of the Corvette safetly. That means I end up driving the Fit way more than I want and I could drive the Mustang almost every day. I have put about 4K miles on the C7 in the past year and, in all honesty, it kills me not to drive it and have to drive a Honda Fit.

With the Wrangler I can garage the Mustang on the bad weather days (live in New England) but would likely get dedicated winters for the Mustang anyway.

Thoughts? I did drive a 2015 Mustang GT when they came out and liked it quite a bit. I am thinking 2018 GT Premium with performance pack. I do plan to track the car 2-3 times per year so the PP just makes sense.

Obviously I need to test drive one soon, but would love some thoughts and opinions (realizing I am on a Ford forum).

Oh one question. For the non-Premium GT's does the smaller head unit/receiver still have Apple Carplay? Or do you have to step up to Sync3 to get that?
I was in a similar position. Was buying something to replace my 350Z, and was about to pull the trigger on the C7 when they first arrived, but was waiting for a few late options to become available. While waiting the GT350 rumors started, so I thought I might go for that instead. After driving the C7 at the Ron Fellows School I decided to go for the GT350 for several reasons, but a significant factor was that I didn't get to drive the Z much due to the kids, so I figured I wouldn't get to drive the Vette much either. The rear seats in the Mustang were perfect, and allowed me to take the kids around in the Mustang and drive it more frequently.

Keep in mind I'm comparing to the GT350, but much will still hold for the regula GT.

First, the Mustang is a relatively large car. It is wide, has a long hood, is relatively high compared to the Vette, and is quite a bit heavier. As others have mentioned, it is not a pure sports car. The GT350 really hides its weight well, and the car seems to shrink as you drive faster, but while driving around parking lots, city traffic, etc. it can feel pretty large. The big doors don't help. I also had a VW GTI for quite a while and it didn't handle nearly as well but was much more maneuverable, especially in tight areas.

I've tracked the GT350 4 times so far, and it is awesome. If you are able to option up to the magneride suspension, it might be a worthwhile investment (but of course the tuning is critical, and not sure how that will be on the 2018 GT compared to the GT350). The C7 did corner a little better than the GT350, which has a little more understeer in steady cornering. But I've found that with a bit more trailbraking I can get the GT350 to rotate pretty well. I suspect the regular GT will also be less well-balanced than the C7.

Even if you stick with the regular suspension, there are lots of aftermarket options to tailor the performance once you decide where you want to take the car.

My kids are 8 and 10 now, and still easily fit in the Mustang. Even adults can fit, but the headroom is an issue. Legroom is mostly OK.

I think the C7 will be the better sports car, but it's tough to beat the Mustang from an overall performance/value/practicality perspective. The Camaro seems to be a bit more sporty but also a bit less practical, so that may be something to consider as well.

One last thing is that the Coyote engine and the Voodoo in the GT350 require revs to make power. They have quite a bit less low-end torque than the LT1. Therefore they don't feel as punchy, and need to be downshifted one or two (or more) gears to get the revs up. They won't necessarily feel as fast if you just punch the gas. Just something to keep in mind during test drives.

-T

OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I was in a similar position. Was buying something to replace my 350Z, and was about to pull the trigger on the C7 when they first arrived, but was waiting for a few late options to become available. While waiting the GT350 rumors started, so I thought I might go for that instead. After driving the C7 at the Ron Fellows School I decided to go for the GT350 for several reasons, but a significant factor was that I didn't get to drive the Z much due to the kids, so I figured I wouldn't get to drive the Vette much either. The rear seats in the Mustang were perfect, and allowed me to take the kids around in the Mustang and drive it more frequently.

Keep in mind I'm comparing to the GT350, but much will still hold for the regula GT.

First, the Mustang is a relatively large car. It is wide, has a long hood, is relatively high compared to the Vette, and is quite a bit heavier. As others have mentioned, it is not a pure sports car. The GT350 really hides its weight well, and the car seems to shrink as you drive faster, but while driving around parking lots, city traffic, etc. it can feel pretty large. The big doors don't help. I also had a VW GTI for quite a while and it didn't handle nearly as well but was much more maneuverable, especially in tight areas.

I've tracked the GT350 4 times so far, and it is awesome. If you are able to option up to the magneride suspension, it might be a worthwhile investment (but of course the tuning is critical, and not sure how that will be on the 2018 GT compared to the GT350). The C7 did corner a little better than the GT350, which has a little more understeer in steady cornering. But I've found that with a bit more trailbraking I can get the GT350 to rotate pretty well. I suspect the regular GT will also be less well-balanced than the C7.

Even if you stick with the regular suspension, there are lots of aftermarket options to tailor the performance once you decide where you want to take the car.

My kids are 8 and 10 now, and still easily fit in the Mustang. Even adults can fit, but the headroom is an issue. Legroom is mostly OK.

I think the C7 will be the better sports car, but it's tough to beat the Mustang from an overall performance/value/practicality perspective. The Camaro seems to be a bit more sporty but also a bit less practical, so that may be something to consider as well.

One last thing is that the Coyote engine and the Voodoo in the GT350 require revs to make power. They have quite a bit less low-end torque than the LT1. Therefore they don't feel as punchy, and need to be downshifted one or two (or more) gears to get the revs up. They won't necessarily feel as fast if you just punch the gas. Just something to keep in mind during test drives.

-T
First of all thank you for taking the time to write this and sharing your opinions and thoughts. The C7 is a great car and I'm not convinced I am ready to let it go. As for the Camaro, I've never been a Camaro guy, but I will drive one for sure. They have some good incentives right now.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
Was curious to get opinions, especially if someone has been in a similar situation to me (Corvette to Mustang).

First, I really love my C7. The car is so much fun to drive and it is my first American car (prior to that drove lots of Japanese sports cars and some German). I am in love with the V8 engine (mine has an Xpipe and NPP exhaust). My C7 is a 2016 Z51 with magride and a 7 speed manual.

So why sell a car you really like? Two reasons. One my wife's dream car is a Jeep Wrangler (she drives a Honda Odyssey which we have to keep). I have the C7 and a Honda Fit. If I sell both, based on KBB value, I could pickup a $40K or so Mustang GT and a newer Wrangler. My wife has made a ton of sacrifices and I thought it would be great to surprise her this year with the Wrangler.

Second reason, we have three kids and I find myself 2-3 days a week now having to run straight from work to dance, ice skating, or parkour... I need a backseat as none of them are big enough to sit in the front of the Corvette safetly. That means I end up driving the Fit way more than I want and I could drive the Mustang almost every day. I have put about 4K miles on the C7 in the past year and, in all honesty, it kills me not to drive it and have to drive a Honda Fit.

With the Wrangler I can garage the Mustang on the bad weather days (live in New England) but would likely get dedicated winters for the Mustang anyway.

Thoughts? I did drive a 2015 Mustang GT when they came out and liked it quite a bit. I am thinking 2018 GT Premium with performance pack. I do plan to track the car 2-3 times per year so the PP just makes sense.

Obviously I need to test drive one soon, but would love some thoughts and opinions (realizing I am on a Ford forum).

Oh one question. For the non-Premium GT's does the smaller head unit/receiver still have Apple Carplay? Or do you have to step up to Sync3 to get that?
Having both a C7 (17 GrandSport M7) and a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 M6

- The Mustang is obviously a far more pratical car
- The C7 pulls much harder at low speeds and globally the acceleration feeling is noticeably stronger (probably has to do with the weight)
- The handling is far more efficient of the C7 (especially GS)
- The Mustang is more of a GT, less noisy than the vette on long trip, especially compared to a GS with it's crazy wide and noisy tires
- The Gearbox is better on the Mustang in term of feel and shifting time (the vette requires a lot of effort to shift fast and the feeling is a little rubery)
- The Coyote sounds better than a LT1 IMO (in stock form, LT headers change a lot of the LT1)
- The 7500 rpm redline is fun

As a sport car the 18 GT PP1 is no match against a C7 GS, but as a GT it could be a replacement, perhaps with some performance parts. I enjoy driving the car a lot, even in sporty driving, but it is not a car to drive at the edge like a C7

Sponsored

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Anyone who does Parkour has to keep the 'Vette, preferably with the "WLLHUNG" license plate!

0V3YjsW.gif

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
I own both. stay with the vette if you can! better car and resale lighter and faster. once you experience the extra power you will hate a slower car.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Hi and welcome as a potentially new Mustang owner :) I see a tie here

Pros:
- Happy wife
- Happy wife
- Happy wife
When I read crap like all I can see is a guy with no balls and a wife that cheats on him behind his back

OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
If you really need practicality, get a Chevy SS before they are gone:
I love what the SS is, but 100% cannot get over the fact that it looks like a rental car. Definitely has the sleeper factor though. I raced a modded one in my C7 and we were neck and neck.

I also think the ATS-V is a cool car too, but I prefer a more sporty car. Because I own a Checy I qualify for some nice discounts on Camaro's but I need to drive one again. I just don't love the exterior looks and visinility. I thikn the Mustang is a much better looking car.

Sponsored
OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I own both. stay with the vette if you can! better car and resale lighter and faster. once you experience the extra power you will hate a slower car.
I am weighing all the pros and cons. I first need to drive a 2018 Mustang GT with the PP1 package. Seveal of them near me but too much snow and too cold so will wait.

I did find a barely used 2017 Shelby GT350 for a nice price, but I don't think I would like this over the 18 Prremium w/PP1 for more of a daily driver and occasional track car.

Like my C7, I would also proabably stress about door dings and getting hit. With a GT I would be less concerned :)

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
If that C7 Z51 was the A8 i’d take it off your hands :/

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I traded my 15 GT for a 2013 C6. I am single and no kids. I still say the best bang for the buck is a GT, but a used lower mile 2013 C6 is also a great bang for the buck. Once i added headers, tune and some other stuff the C6 has tons of low end power compared to my 15 GT. I would have bought a C7 but the A8 and TC problems scared me away from a C7.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I love what the SS is, but 100% cannot get over the fact that it looks like a rental car. Definitely has the sleeper factor though. I raced a modded one in my C7 and we were neck and neck.

I also think the ATS-V is a cool car too, but I prefer a more sporty car. Because I own a Checy I qualify for some nice discounts on Camaro's but I need to drive one again. I just don't love the exterior looks and visinility. I thikn the Mustang is a much better looking car.
Ew a Camaro :bump:

I have a neighbor with a Holden badged SS. Carbon fiber splitter and spoiler, full tint, staggered wheels and lowered. It aint no rental car I can tell you that. The SS is a great platform, but a lot of people aren't seeing that. But even then, with all the cosmetic enhancements, it might still look like a Hertz rental special so I do understand.

As a youth with no children that aspires to own a C7, it sounds like you're in the perfect era of your life for a GT. Compared to many other "sports" coupes and GT style cars, the Mustang is much easier to live with all around. Huge trunk, decent back seat, great visibility, roomy interior, most of the creature comforts on option, and easy to maintain. You'll still look like hero when you park somewhere, but now it'll be much easier to get out :D

I owned a GTI and I lamented that it was too practical and I got rid of it because I know life is short and if there's ever a time to get an impractical car, it's when I'm in my 20's and not a dad. The Mustang offers a great compromise and let's you have the cake and eat it too.

Man I want a C7 so bad though. Need the base manual ones to dip into the $30k range and then maybe....