Sponsored

Do 2018 GT's get rid of the "floaty" feeling?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My issue wasn't the front on my PP car (although Ford's inattention to wheel gap differences in the front vs. back was frankly half-assed). Well, I suppose it would have been nice if the PP car had stiffer springs all around, especially up front, than what it came with (and appropriate dampers to suit). If you hear me with dealers, you'd know I bitched endlessly about how I disliked the "best" suspension as a factor in the price I was willing to pay.

My issue was with the rear being bouncy, which was only sufficiently resolved after installing Steeda's shock mounts. Some minimal drop springs from Steeda or BMR + Steeda Fixed Pro-Action dampers is a winning combination for a street car. Just also include the Steeda shock mounts in the back to round out the combo. It works.

Given the non-PP and PP1 suspension in the 18 isn't really much different from what I can tell - at least it doesn't address why the car is bouncy or floaty with hard parts (maybe the Michelin tires will help) - I'm happy to bet that it isn't any better. Perhaps the hood line being different helps, I don't know. I personally can't afford another Mustang purchase so I haven't bothered with the 18s. They aren't compellingly different enough (for the price) for me to care, anyway. If they came with a Tremec manual vs. a revised MT-82, maybe I'd find a way.
Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
I owned a used '17 non-PP GT convertible and and now have a new '17 PP GT coupe.

The non-PP car drove like an old Cadillac. Very vague (could have had something to do with being a convertible, but regardless it didn't feel "sporty". I was coming from a Focus ST, and the difference was stark. The PP suspension made a difference in on-the-road handing at speed... but that said, I have boxes and boxes of GT350R, BMR, and Steeda parts that I plan on installing as soon as Bilstein releases their rear shocks.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
So has anyone answered the original question? Is it still a problem on the 18's? To clarify OP, does your question include the magneride or not?

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Wow, tough crowd, lol. I must be ignorant, I never thought of my GT as floaty.

That's OK though, ignorance is bliss.
Username: Lost

Achievement Unlocked: irony

:D

:lol:

_

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
So has anyone answered the original question? Is it still a problem on the 18's? To clarify OP, does your question include the magneride or not?
I had a '15 non PP and it was floaty. I now own a '18 non PP and it is much better than the '15. That was one of the 1st comments my wife said when she rode in it for the 1st time. "It didn't feel floaty anymore."

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I always thought of floaty as an issue at high speeds. Basically, it feels like you are riding on a cushion of air. I think the 18 GTPP with Magneride is quite firm and controlled at high speeds. As far as cornering is concerned, it feels much more solid than the 17s I test drove. However, I personally feel the stock springs are slightly too soft, even if they are an improvement over the previous year. For that reason, I plan to purchase FRPP GT350 springs soon.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] is right (as always). Good dampers and springs are going to fix this. IF you really want a fantastic handling car (think e92 M3 killer) and you're willing to spend some coin, go with the mods I have in my signature (you will also save tons of research time). I've owned and driven a lot of iron and this is a sweet setup that does well in autocross, canyons, track and my commute. It's a tad stiff and jouncy (boob jiggling) at slow speeds on rough roads in the city. At speed on the freeway its smooth as silk and MUCH better than the stock setup.

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
The base 18 GT rides smooth, not sportscar at all. The ride height is ridiculously high. I never drove a 17 gt base, but i can tell you my 15 gt pp, seemed way to stiffly sprung with not enough shock action. I have BMR springs and Steeda adjustables waiting for install. They should help. Gotta realize these are heavy vehicles with a heavy engine directly over the front wheels. Aint no 1965 Ponycar no more!

Sponsored

sijoko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The base 18 GT rides smooth, not sportscar at all. The ride height is ridiculously high...

That's the first thing that I thought when I saw the base suspension car in person..

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I drove an 18 pp mag arise and it felt pretty good, my 15gt non pp was a terrible handler from the factory. It was floaty, bouncy, not very confidence inspiring. I went through 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of springs and a set of bc racing budget coil-overs before I sold it recently. The coil-overs helped a ton but I still had traction issues in a straight line. I never got it sorted out and there are no decent shops anywhere near me to assist. I will say this, just bolting on the cheap coilovers made the car steering feel amazing, better than a c7 vette I test drove. But the rear remained a mess, so much so that I was scared to run it past 110 Because it felt very unstable.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I drove an 18 pp mag arise and it felt pretty good, my 15gt non pp was a terrible handler from the factory. It was floaty, bouncy, not very confidence inspiring. I went through 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of springs and a set of bc racing budget coil-overs before I sold it recently. The coil-overs helped a ton but I still had traction issues in a straight line. I never got it sorted out and there are no decent shops anywhere near me to assist. I will say this, just bolting on the cheap coilovers made the car steering feel amazing, better than a c7 vette I test drove. But the rear remained a mess, so much so that I was scared to run it past 110 Because it felt very unstable.
Wow I've accidentally went faster than that without even noticing. If you put coilovers on then I guess the difference was the swaybars. The non-magneride pp1 mustangs aren't floaty at all IMO.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t feel how the “rear” is any serious issue at high speeds. Hood lift? Yes. Lack of front downforce? Yes. But the rear? No.

I generally drive at the relaxing speed of 120mph, and push to 150 often. The 2015-2017 model benefits most with stiffer springs, better dampers, and a hulky rear sway bar. I’ll let you know how hood struts and a front splitter help the real high-speed issues, mentioned above, when I install them this summer.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
op just know this. 40 series tires. 35 psi. Get used to 'floaty'.
Sponsored