Sponsored

Which engine to start with when building?

Polax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
16' DIP blue GT premium pp
Alright guys I’m looking to add boost here very shortly and I’m thinking of going either centri or TT. On the stock motor I’m not looking to go over 700 or 750hp for now I want something I can drive and have fun with but I would also like to build a motor on the side for when Im ready to turn it up. I would like to try and take the build on myself as in assembling the engine but of course have a machine shop do what’s needed. My question is what year block or motor should I look for out of a mustang or F150 or does it even matter?
Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
It does matter, but internals are relatively cheap compared to new engine prices. Pulling an F150 motor then building a longblock with forged internals is just fine. Doing that pretty much eliminates every major difference.

OP
OP

Polax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
16' DIP blue GT premium pp
Ok yeah I plan on doing the internals, also I've been reading the sleeves on the blocks tend to be a weak point when trying to push the power up so I'm assuming it's a good idea to get those done on either block also

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I have been trying to find out if the 2015 up F150 heads are flow the same with the mustang cams. I would like to build an engine and keep my stock one together.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My plan is to just order a sleeved short block from MPR or L&M and put everything form my motor on that.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
My plan is to just order a sleeved short block from MPR or L&M and put everything form my motor on that.
That's probably the safest way to build a new motor.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The blocks from 11 on (both truck and car) are not that different, especially if you plan on adding new sleeves.

The only difference is some blocks came with 12mm head bolts (I forget which years) so those may be more beneficial than the 11mm blocks. Although once again if you're having a machine shop prep your block you can also have it tapped for the larger bolts for not much more.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
The blocks from 11 on (both truck and car) are not that different, especially if you plan on adding new sleeves.

The only difference is some blocks came with 12mm head bolts (I forget which years) so those may be more beneficial than the 11mm blocks. Although once again if you're having a machine shop prep your block you can also have it tapped for the larger bolts for not much more.

The head studs are different sizes on some years and you might need to block of oil squirters.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Theres the voodoo block and the 2018 block which are also different. Not sure if they are better or worse and how well they work with or without sleeves but just something to consider. Assuming everything bolts up to the 2018 block which I have no idea about.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Theres the voodoo block and the 2018 block which are also different. Not sure if they are better or worse and how well they work with or without sleeves but just something to consider. Assuming everything bolts up to the 2018 block which I have no idea about.
Isn't the voodoo block the gt350 block?

Sponsored