Charging System Issue (New Car)

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
Wondering if anyone has experienced this...

Went to turn on my car yesterday morning and it would crank but not start. A battery lit up on the dash and I also got a "Service Charging System Now" message. Let it sit for around 20 minutes and then it started right up. Used it throughout the day just fine but then this morning exact same symptoms.

Car only has ~400 miles :frusty:. Have a catback system and is otherwise stock. Already have an appointment for Friday. Would like to find any information I can before then. Thanks
FullSizeRender 7.jpg
IMG_3307.JPG
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would put a charger on the battery if you let the car sit more than 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
I would put a charger on the battery if you let the car sit more than 2 weeks.
Thanks for the suggestion. Car sat for 3 days, worked flawlessly on Monday, then issues started yesterday almost out of nowhere. I should add that I just took delivery of vehicle 2 weeks ago.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks for the suggestion. Car sat for 3 days, worked flawlessly on Monday, then issues started yesterday almost out of nowhere. I should add that I just took delivery of vehicle 2 weeks ago.
It could been discharged already. i would go on a long drive see if you can repeat it.
It could simply be a bad battery. Remember these cars sit at the factory for at least a couple of weeks before taking delivery.

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
Update:

Vehicle was dropped off Thursday afternoon so they could replicate the issue Friday morning. Dealer has claimed a number of things as the culprit. First, fuel pump was supposed bad. Turned out to be fine and now they are claiming its an electrical issue. They need to keep the car for a few more days :doh:

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Mine was a year old 6mo of driving Ford said battery failed its test gave me a new one .You never know how long they will last.

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
Update:

Been 2 weeks since car was dropped off. They fiddled with some electronics and said it "fixed" itself. They were holding on to it to run more tests. I was supposed to get a call yesterday to pick it up but call never came.

Car has been in service for a longer time than in my driveway at this point :frusty::headbonk::tsk:

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
Update: Car spent a total of 50 days at dealership. It was given back to me today.

Checked the engine bay at home and there seems to be a connector that has nothing attached to it. Is this supposed to be like this? Thanks in advance.
IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_3852.jpg

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
This was really bugging me even though it's dark out already... So I went to inspect again with a flashlight and found the other end. Connected them right up.

Does anyone know what this connection is for?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This was really bugging me even though it's dark out already... So I went to inspect again with a flashlight and found the other end. Connected them right up.

Does anyone know what this connection is for?
It's a current sensor that allows the car to detect if there is current being drawn when the car is shut off. The car has smart charging and battery shut off when below certain voltage. Maybe this plug was never connect from the factory and that's why you are having some issues.

OP
OP
Nietzski

Nietzski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
17 GT MT
I see! Thanks for the detailed information.
However, it is really unlikely that it wasn’t connected prior to being at the dealership. That area was worked on by them due to the PCM being replaced.
Sponsored