Sponsored

Need to tone down the sound some? Recommendations.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Could anyone recommend an axle-back which has a good amount of sound, but not quite as loud as the Roush? Right now I have a Roush/X-pipe combo, and I like it, but it's just too loud for a daily driver. The cold starts are especially rough. I've been considering 2 options, a quieter axle-back or a resonated muffler. I feel like adding a resonator will cost me some power and add back the weight which I lost with the X pipe, however it's a cheaper option than getting a whole new axle-back. Eventually I plan to get catted headers and would like an exhaust setup that will work well now and also when I do add headers. Would a better option be a Magnaflow resonator, or keeping the X pipe and getting Ford Performance Borla Sports for example.
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Would like to know also.

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
I just switched from a Gibson catback to a Solo Performance Mach XV and I’m super happy with it so far. It has the same deep muscle car tone as the Gibson but it’s quieter. The Solo eliminated the 1500-2000 rpm 6th gear drone I had with the Gibson.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I went down this route with my '11. Tried all combinations and settled for removing the headers, using high flow cats and Ford Racing axle backs. For the '15 I currently own, I ordered a set of Ford Performance Touring Axle backs. It is my belief that Ford put the resonators in the '15 and up to get rid of exhaust sound in the cabin. I would guess that the X pipe is the culprit. Putting headers on a NA car will make whatever setup you have much louder. If you plan on doing headers, I would spend some time researching your exact setup on all the forums/magazines. You can usually find research and/or dyno results. Beware of losing low end torque. Some back pressure is needed. For example on a SC'd coyote adding headers on a mild tune can hurt you because as you free up the exhaust, you lower the boost usually 1 pound or so. I had this disagreement with a shop and they insisted that I would make more power on my Roush with 12 psi boost. I gained 3 HP and lost torque with the setup I had.
Really most exhaust mods without headers doesn't make a lot more power and often times will reduce low end torque. Maybe 5 ft/lbs or so.

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I read a lot of owner’s impressions before getting my axle backs, which is what made me keep my resonator. Many people seem to initially love the race car howl, but after a time get annoyed with drone and volume. I’m not in my 20s anymore (haven’t been since MC Hammer was killin it) so I wanted to temper good sound with something livable, a sound that wouldn’t make my wife scowl every time I fired the car up. Of course, everyone has their own threshold for annoyance. I like the extra volume on acceleration but appreciate the purr at hwy speed.

There’s aftermarket solutions like the Borla and others for a resonator, if you don’t want the stock one back on there. I’ve heard Roush mufflers with an X pipe and it is very loud to me. I’ve also heard that setup with headers and you can hear that a mile away.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Could anyone recommend an axle-back which has a good amount of sound, but not quite as loud as the Roush? Right now I have a Roush/X-pipe combo, and I like it, but it's just too loud for a daily driver. The cold starts are especially rough. I've been considering 2 options, a quieter axle-back or a resonated muffler. I feel like adding a resonator will cost me some power and add back the weight which I lost with the X pipe, however it's a cheaper option than getting a whole new axle-back. Eventually I plan to get catted headers and would like an exhaust setup that will work well now and also when I do add headers. Would a better option be a Magnaflow resonator, or keeping the X pipe and getting Ford Performance Borla Sports for example.
i bough bbk varitune hoping i would be able to adjust from quiet to loud, but per my taste it's adjustable from loud to louder.

I ended up doing this to quiet it down. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97893

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would go to the Corsa Touring axleback with your X-pipe. It's certainly quieter than what you have, but not quiet by any means. Fantastic sound but never over-the-top loud like the Xtreme catback or Roush + X or H pipes.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
you could get a magnaflow resonated x pipe. CJ's sells 1 that is bolt on or you can get it from amazon or some other store and have it welded locally. believe part number is 11386.

its supposed to quiet it down while still having that x pipe sound.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at the Corsa Touring axle-back and it's a bit out of my $$ range. I've been looking at the Borla Ford Performance models, they have a touring model, but I'm worried that might be too quiet, and they also have a sport model, which I believe would be about mid way between a touring exhaust and something loud like the Roush?

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Have you considered the SLP LM2s? They look exactly the same as the Roush but have more sound packing in them so they are a lot quieter. I even think they are both made by the same company. They are pretty reasonable in price compared to other axle backs.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I've got Borla S-Type mufflers with an X-pipe. It's aggressive when I get on it, but not obnoxiously loud when just cruising around. I love the combo.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at the Corsa Touring axle-back and it's a bit out of my $$ range. I've been looking at the Borla Ford Performance models, they have a touring model, but I'm worried that might be too quiet, and they also have a sport model, which I believe would be about mid way between a touring exhaust and something loud like the Roush?
If you shop wisely you can pick them up in great condition for $600-800. Otherwise the FRPP Sport might be a good choice.

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe is the ticket along with a quieter cat back or axleback. It will quiet the exhaust, get rid of rasp, and give the exhaust a deep, rich tone. I love mine.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I just switched from a Gibson catback to a Solo Performance Mach XV and I’m super happy with it so far. It has the same deep muscle car tone as the Gibson but it’s quieter. The Solo eliminated the 1500-2000 rpm 6th gear drone I had with the Gibson.
I have same exhaust. It's not particularly quiet, but it ain't loud. It has a lower tone so it's less bothersome to most.
Sponsored