Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, just WAY too far fetched. Hell, one of the largest displacement performance engines nowadays is like a 6.2L. Unfortunately, I don't see the big block returning until technology like SPCCI and Freevalve make their way into the mainstream market, and even then, it's very unlikely

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wasn't the 426 a small block? Either case, "big blocks" are definitely dead. Big and small block is a frankly very outdated term anyway. An LS7 definitely fits the term small block in dimensions and cylinder wall but it relates closer to a big block internally.

Sponsored

tmhutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Cobra
Isnt Mopar doing a smaller/lighter version of the Challenger and calling it Cuda'? 426 Hemi in that and Dodge is winning all the way to the bank. It's true Ford is the only manufacturer with both a small block and a "big block" going into production vehicles but's it's more like a super small block and a traditional sized small block. Theres just no way Ford couldnt do a 6.2L based 429 if they wanted to. Size, emissions, blah blah blah. Even Toyota makes a 5.7L DOHC. TOYOTA. Maybe I should do an engine swap with a Toyota 5.7L DOHC! (kidding).

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Isnt Mopar doing a smaller/lighter version of the Challenger and calling it Cuda'? 426 Hemi in that and Dodge is winning all the way to the bank. It's true Ford is the only manufacturer with both a small block and a "big block" going into production vehicles but's it's more like a super small block and a traditional sized small block. Theres just no way Ford couldnt do a 6.2L based 429 if they wanted to. Size, emissions, blah blah blah. Even Toyota makes a 5.7L DOHC. TOYOTA. Maybe I should do an engine swap with a Toyota 5.7L DOHC! (kidding).
The 'Cuda has been a rumor for a LONG time. Before my dad retired there were rumors that the plant he worked at was going to make parts for an upcoming car by Dodge called the 'cuda or Barracuda (they already do works for Ford, GM, VW, Honda and other FCA cars), but this was like 2013 or so. Nothing became of it. Dodge needs something now as the 200, Dart and Avenger are gone so that market is open space for them.

Don't forget Ford had the 5.8 in the GT500. Ford has always been a company that would put out the smaller, more advanced engine to challenge the older bigger designs.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
No one said it had to be a big block. Since they're getting 427 cid out of small blocks, there are always possibilities.
But what small block does Ford have that could be 429 CID? The 5.0 is only ~302 CID. You can't bore and stroke it almost 50% bigger.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
But what small block does Ford have that could be 429 CID? The 5.0 is only ~302 CID. You can't bore and stroke it almost 50% bigger.
Last I heard the 6.2 won't fit the Mustang so I believe that makes it the 5.8, if it's still in use anyplace. I've seen a 5.8 Trinity get up to 364.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Sorry, just WAY too far fetched. Hell, one of the largest displacement performance engines nowadays is like a 6.2L. Unfortunately, I don't see the big block returning until technology like SPCCI and Freevalve make their way into the mainstream market, and even then, it's very unlikely
GM used a 7.0 in the Z/28 just a few years ago.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No one said it had to be a big block. Since they're getting 427 cid out of small blocks, there are always possibilities.
The 427 small block is a Windsor pushrod engine the modular engines Ford is using now couldn't be bored and stroked that big. A big block modular engine would have to built from scratch.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
GM used a 7.0 in the Z/28 just a few years ago.
Last time they used it was 4 years ago, and that engine is now dead. The largest displacement engine GM has now (And, looking at their plans, will have for the next decade) is a 6.2. I highly doubt any manufacturer will make a 400+ Cu In engine any time in the near future. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the largest engine in a performance car (Or, for that matter, a production car) is a 6.4L.

The only hope of a Boss 429 would probably be a 4.29 liter V8 with a couple turbos

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Topnotch this is all your fault, buddy, getting people's hopes for a 7 litre.

If you all remember the oil weight sheet that was leaked a few months back there was a new 7.3 litre petrol on there as well. Obviously for the F Series but at least you can't say Doesn't have a big block.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't trust that document at all... IIRC there are items on there that have already been confirmed non-existent
Sponsored