Sponsored

New Mustang Owner - Suspension setup for aggressive street and annual track

JC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just got a base non-PP 2018 Mustang GT and loving it! I am coming from a 2016 Subaru WRX, and do miss the feeling of the car (lots of feedback through the steering wheel, car felt very responsive and sharp on turn-in, and an overall very easy car to drive fast).

Looking for some feedback on a suspension setup to mostly drive aggressively/spirited on streets/canyons, and capable on the track (Willow Springs/Buttonwillow) for 1-2x per year at most.

I've done some research, and have come up with the following:
- BMR CB005
- Steeda Linear Sport Springs (or Swift Spec-R springs)
- Steeda Pro-Action Fixed Shocks and Struts (fixed due to me looking for a more "set and forget" set up)

Will this setup be good enough for my needs?
Any suggestions on any other spring/shock pairings that are "set and forget"?
Do I need any sway bars?
Will I need anything else for correct camber adjustment(s)?

Thanks for your help/advice!
Sponsored

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I noticed my car had some wheel hop on accelerationand rear end float banking at speed. I did a lot of suspension work at the same time so I can't tell you which items were most impactful, but I can give you a list of everything done that elimated wheel hop, diving on braking, and the rear end "float" feeling while increasing feedback and better turn-in :

All from Steeda
Progressive springs
IRS Subframe Bushing Support System
IRS Subframe Alignment Kit
Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
IRS Subframe Support Braces
Adjustable Rear Toe Links
Camber/Caster plates

My car is a PP tho so I have the sway bar

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Check out the Ford Performance Track handling kit. I have it currently and loving it. Great option for those who want a set it and forget it with close to stock ride height look.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just got a base non-PP 2018 Mustang GT and loving it! I am coming from a 2016 Subaru WRX, and do miss the feeling of the car (lots of feedback through the steering wheel, car felt very responsive and sharp on turn-in, and an overall very easy car to drive fast).

Looking for some feedback on a suspension setup to mostly drive aggressively/spirited on streets/canyons, and capable on the track (Willow Springs/Buttonwillow) for 1-2x per year at most.

- BMR CB005
- Steeda Pro-Action Fixed Shocks and Struts (fixed due to me looking for a more "set and forget" set up)

Do I need any sway bars?

I have had very good feedback setting my customers up with the following:

BMR-SP083R Handling Springs
Ford Performance Track Damper Package
BMR-SB044 Front Sway Bar (typically middle position on this combo)
BMR-ELK013 Front Sway Bar Links
BMR-CB005 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit
Ford Performance M-5A460-M Toe Knuckle Bearing

Then if you want to push it a little hard on track, go for the BK081 Rear Lower Control Arm Bearing Kit too - big improvement!

This package above is also very popular for a "set it and forget it" for the GT350 Crowd. Of course, they have the dampers from the start and do not need to purchase the FP Damper Kit.

Whatever your choice, good luck and enjoy! :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Then if you want to push it a little hard on track, go for the BK081 Rear Lower Control Arm Bearing Kit too - big improvement!

This package above is also very popular for a "set it and forget it" for the GT350 Crowd. Of course, they have the dampers from the start and do not need to purchase the FP Damper Kit.

Agreed!

SP083 Handling springs
FP Track Dampers
CB005 Cradle Lockout

Those three are the meat of the package and provide an awesome handling car without being harsh on the street. Firm, absolutely, but not harsh. Grab a front bar later for tuning purposes :cheers:

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

- BMR CB005

Do I need any sway bars?

Steeda S550 Mustang Dual Rate HPDE Suspension Pack (15-18 All)

This kit has a very good ride quality due to the Dual Rate spring avantage!

If your S550 Mustang spends more time turning laps than grabbing groceries, Steeda's S550 Mustang Dual Rate HPDE Suspension Package is your ticket to victory lane! A race proven kit which has laid down impressive times with Steeda's own 2016 and 2017 Mustangs, the HPDE Package comes with Front and Rear Adjustable Sway Bars, Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks and Struts, and Competition Dual Rate Springs.

Our Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bars for your 2015-2018 Mustang GT, EcoBoost, or V6 provide an increase in front and rear roll stiffness for a balanced handling package. The press-fit welded billet ends are far stronger than stamping the end of the bar. Billet machining construction of the Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bar ends makes for far greater strength for a bulletproof sway bar. We engineered these bars to control the vehicles' roll stiffness properly while still allowing you to run softer springs. This optimizes your overall grip and balance of the vehicle while still allowing you to maintain exceptional ride quality.

Our Pro-Action Adjustable dampers feature street and track-proven technology which have been methodically tested and tuned to achieve optimum compression valving, giving you that quick sports car reaction on the road with easily adjustable rebound damping at the twist of a knob. From soft and comfortable to stiff and aggressive, these Pro-Action shocks have more adjustability than you will ever need!

The Dual Rate Competition Springs, which have the highest rates on the market, greatly reduce nosedive and keep body roll to a minimum for the ultimate in performance handling. By lowering your S550 Mustang .750" all around, these springs provide an optimized center of gravity and an aggressive stance.

Competition proven in both NASA and SCCA events, this suspension package is going to make your 2015-2018 S550 Mustang an absolute winner on the track!

Kit Includes:
Steeda Pro-Action Shocks and Struts - Adjustable (555 8157)
Steeda S550 Mustang Competition Dual Rate Springs (555 8246)
Steeda S550 Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bars (555 1017)
Product Benefits:
Lowers the vehicle .750" at all 4 corners
Designed for competition racing but maintains outstanding street-able ride
Steeda proprietary shock valving
Shocks & Struts Specifically designed for lowered S550 Mustangs
Rebound adjustable shocks & struts for the ultimate in tunability
Front Sway Bar diameter 1-3/8"
Rear Sway Bar diameter 1-1/8"
Reduced body roll
dual rate packaage.jpg
2017-06-20_02-20-43.jpg 2016 (1).jpg
billyjohnson_PBIR_Forums (002).png

OP
OP

JC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Agreed!

SP083 Handling springs
FP Track Dampers
CB005 Cradle Lockout

Those three are the meat of the package and provide an awesome handling car without being harsh on the street. Firm, absolutely, but not harsh. Grab a front bar later for tuning purposes :cheers:

Thank you both for the feedback! Will I need anything to properly adjust camber front and rear?

OP
OP

JC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Steeda S550 Mustang Dual Rate HPDE Suspension Pack (15-18 All)

This kit has a very good ride quality due to the Dual Rate spring avantage!

If your S550 Mustang spends more time turning laps than grabbing groceries, Steeda's S550 Mustang Dual Rate HPDE Suspension Package is your ticket to victory lane! A race proven kit which has laid down impressive times with Steeda's own 2016 and 2017 Mustangs, the HPDE Package comes with Front and Rear Adjustable Sway Bars, Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks and Struts, and Competition Dual Rate Springs.

Our Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bars for your 2015-2018 Mustang GT, EcoBoost, or V6 provide an increase in front and rear roll stiffness for a balanced handling package. The press-fit welded billet ends are far stronger than stamping the end of the bar. Billet machining construction of the Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bar ends makes for far greater strength for a bulletproof sway bar. We engineered these bars to control the vehicles' roll stiffness properly while still allowing you to run softer springs. This optimizes your overall grip and balance of the vehicle while still allowing you to maintain exceptional ride quality.

Our Pro-Action Adjustable dampers feature street and track-proven technology which have been methodically tested and tuned to achieve optimum compression valving, giving you that quick sports car reaction on the road with easily adjustable rebound damping at the twist of a knob. From soft and comfortable to stiff and aggressive, these Pro-Action shocks have more adjustability than you will ever need!

The Dual Rate Competition Springs, which have the highest rates on the market, greatly reduce nosedive and keep body roll to a minimum for the ultimate in performance handling. By lowering your S550 Mustang .750" all around, these springs provide an optimized center of gravity and an aggressive stance.

Competition proven in both NASA and SCCA events, this suspension package is going to make your 2015-2018 S550 Mustang an absolute winner on the track!

Kit Includes:
Steeda Pro-Action Shocks and Struts - Adjustable (555 8157)
Steeda S550 Mustang Competition Dual Rate Springs (555 8246)
Steeda S550 Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bars (555 1017)
Product Benefits:
Lowers the vehicle .750" at all 4 corners
Designed for competition racing but maintains outstanding street-able ride
Steeda proprietary shock valving
Shocks & Struts Specifically designed for lowered S550 Mustangs
Rebound adjustable shocks & struts for the ultimate in tunability
Front Sway Bar diameter 1-3/8"
Rear Sway Bar diameter 1-1/8"
Reduced body roll
How would the Steeda fixed shocks and struts paired with the Dual Rate Springs pair for my needs? Would the Linear Sports be a better match over the Dual Rate?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
How would the Steeda fixed shocks and struts paired with the Dual Rate Springs pair for my needs? Would the Linear Sports be a better match over the Dual Rate?
The fixed will pair well with the dual rate but the adjustable will allow you to dial it in more. The dual rate & adjustable shocks & struts are featured in this kit:

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-HPDE-Suspension-Package-15-18-555-2357

I will shoot you a p.m. - discuss your budget & get you dailed in if Steeda Tech hasn't already.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]t6DPnBUFCxw[/MEDIA]"]

TJ

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both for the feedback! Will I need anything to properly adjust camber front and rear?
Plates would be good to get the front perfect. It won't be far off at all without them, though, if any. Otherwise, nope!

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Plates would be good to get the front perfect. It won't be far off at all without them, though, if any. Otherwise, nope!
Maximum Motorsports plates give you the best bang for buck. Full caster / camber plates, spherical bearing strut mount for $250 on AM.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
OP: Your suggested setup looks great as a start; consider the Steeda dual-rates too as they are the pinnacle of what is offered on the spring market today (I might go to these next year).

I would also strongly suggest stiffening the front end with a Kmember brace and strut tower brace; these two bits will get you closer to the tighter response/feel you’re looking for. Follow this with a set of swaybars and you’ll be really setup well.
Sponsored