Sponsored

BBK vs JBA shorties

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
After more listening and getting some 2nd/3rd/4th opinions from some other guys, no leaks or issue like that. Seems like it is just due to the thinner nature of the new headers (compared to the super thick stock ones) that lets through more noise.

Knowing it isn't an issue, it doesn't bother me as much but I'm wondering if some heat wrap might help that at all? I figure it adds more material, but it could also be useless.

ctandc72 had his coated so that may help his a bit (or he just knew it going in so never bothered him).
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
After more listening and getting some 2nd/3rd/4th opinions from some other guys, no leaks or issue like that. Seems like it is just due to the thinner nature of the new headers (compared to the super thick stock ones) that lets through more noise.

Knowing it isn't an issue, it doesn't bother me as much but I'm wondering if some heat wrap might help that at all? I figure it adds more material, but it could also be useless.

ctandc72 had his coated so that may help his a bit (or he just knew it going in so never bothered him).
Perfectly normal. I've installed headers on countless vehicles over the last 30 years....that's depressing :doh:

The metal is not as thick / dense as the cast iron manifolds, more noise is normal. Exhaust leaks will normally show up as loud ticking sounds (louder than injectors) that will speed up of course with engine RPM.

The coating I did because I got a deal locally and because of heat reduction.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I went with shorty headers I’m finally off but due to getting a corneal ulcer I had to be off and couldn’t really do much since I couldn’t see. I will be installing the shortys Wednesday and can’t wait to hear the difference in exhaust tone.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
I finally got around to installing my shortys from eBay. The bolts provided did not work I had to buy some at a local hardware store, but I did get that flutter noise now. I will be taking it to a muffler shop and see what they tell me. It’s only coming from the drivers side. Overall I’m very happy with them the tone is deeper and not as raspy either at wot. Do they sell down pipes for the 3.7 and I wonder if 5.0 ones would work.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It is probably on both sides, not just the driver. You (and I) just hear it more there because it is closer to where we are sitting. Friend of mine heard it from the passenger seat too and if I listen closely I can hear it echoing off of walls/cars parked next to me.

I am interested in what the muffler shop says for yours though.

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
Will let you guys know right now I’m running some errands but I do want to find the exact location of the noise. Will report back later today.

It is probably on both sides, not just the driver. You (and I) just hear it more there because it is closer to where we are sitting. Friend of mine heard it from the passenger seat too and if I listen closely I can hear it echoing off of walls/cars parked next to me.

I am interested in what the muffler shop says for yours though.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
Ok so it is a leak I was told by the guy at the muffler shop that it’s towards the back of the header so more than likely I need a new head gasket but before that I’m going to retightened the driver side and see what happens

Sponsored

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Speed Daddy headers arrived yesterday. The flanges are a touch warped. I can return for a refund or get a discount. I’m wondering just how much of a problem it is?
What about getting them milled a bit?

Thinking maybe just bagging this idea or maybe trying JBAs. Anyone try JBA’s? They look more like equal length headers than the BBK/SD type.

C60F6462-E8ED-466D-8762-30F2359C92D3.jpeg

Last edited:

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Milling would not only include the surface but making true with the angle at the point of the flange.
I wonder if there would be any benefit to acid porting the exhaust manifolds

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I ended up getting them milled at a local machine shop. “Oh they are all warped” the grizzled owner says. He was impressed with the build quality of the Speed Daddy headers. He also said it was a good thing I got them milled flat or I would have likely had leaks. Speed Daddy even refunded $30, which covered half of the milling cost.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I wonder what metrics they used to establish 30 dollar's.
Does that reflect what the Chinese supplier invoices them per unit
Sponsored