Sponsored

Cup2 vs Pilot Super Sports

rjm-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
For those that have had both Cup2's and Pilot Super Sports, can you tell me what the difference is as far as road noise and handling on the street?

And has anybody put the stock GT350 Super Sorts onto Project 6GR GT350R rims.
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
When I bought my car it had the factory super sports on the 6GR wheels. Looks a bit silly because of the stretched tire look, functions fine.

I wouldn't recommend Cup 2s for street use for one reason only, you can't safely take both hands off of the wheel on most roads. They tramline VERY badly.

Cup 2s have slightly more road noise than the PSS tires, not terrible. Grip is WAY better with the Cup 2s, you can actually go WOT in first gear.

Tire life is subject to what you do with them, however both the Cup 2 and PSS chewed through the inside shoulder on my car for no apparent reason while my autocross tires (Bridgestone RE-71Rs) are wearing evenly.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I've had your exact tire setups in your question. The PSS are quiet and don't tramline. I didn't notice much difference in looks when they were transferred to the Project 6GR wheels. My Cup2 tires were removed quickly since those adhesive-coated tires tramline on groved roads so severely, the car is dangerous to drive long distances. I replace the Cup2s for 4Ss. The 4Ss have similar grip as the PSS, but do not tramline at all. The 4Ss are quiet and don't pick up everything that's not attached to the road.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
currently has both, don't recommend cup 2 for street (picks up everything)
and don't recommend super sports for track once you are fast (less grip when hot after a few thousand miles)

for street stick with PSS

OP
OP

rjm-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks for the replies. I have a set of the Super Sports but I really like the look of the 7 spoke 6GR's. Both sets of tires have less than 500 miles on them, so I hate to spend the money on a set of tires that look better on the 6GR's.

I could just run the stock wheels until they wear out, but with my current mileage of about 600 miles per year it will take me forever!!

Getting full front end Xpel put on the car today hoping with the protection I will drive it more. But driving it more also comes with quieting the Kooks Competition set up and having tires that are quieter and don't tramoline as much.

The exhaust issue may be solved as I just picked up a complete cat back stock exhaust system with less than 100 miles on it. My plan is to leave the entire Kooks system on and replace the Kooks mufflers with the GT350 mufflers containing the active valves. If that doesn't work, I have the option of changing the entire system back to stock.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
SC2's can easily die in a few thousand miles with a few track days on them. Not a good street tire. Yes, R's have them but look at all the guys who've gone to another set of wheels and tires for the street.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I wouldn't want to be caught in the rain on Cup 2s either. The PSS and now the MP4s I have on are some of the best tires I've ever had in the rain. Daily driving of course, but when I get my track set up complete, I'm going to eventually bring a set with MP4s and Cup 2s (or similar) in case of rain so it wouldn't ruin my whole track weekend/day.

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
PSS all day. My Cup2's on my R are about dead and tramline like crazy even though the hot grip is insane ill admit...they will be replaced with something less drastic quite soon.

OP
OP

rjm-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've had your exact tire setups in your question. The PSS are quiet and don't tramline. I didn't notice much difference in looks when they were transferred to the Project 6GR wheels. My Cup2 tires were removed quickly since those adhesive-coated tires tramline on groved roads so severely, the car is dangerous to drive long distances. I replace the Cup2s for 4Ss. The 4Ss have similar grip as the PSS, but do not tramline at all. The 4Ss are quiet and don't pick up everything that's not attached to the road.
What sizes did you go with on the 4S set up? And is there much of a market the tires?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've driven on rain (and slush, don't ask) on the Cup 2s... If you avoid deep stuff you're fine.

I killed the Cup 2s in 4 hours of track use. They don't last long :)

Sponsored

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Everything is subject to size and pressure. I run Cup 2's in the rain hard and love them but mine are 305/325 19s. Little tramline problem but then again tire pressure is the key. Running Hoosier s day in and out doesn't work to well on the pocket book. The street tires get used for trips.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I wouldn't recommend the Cup2s for the street for 2 1/2 reasons.

1) They wear down REALLY quick. Less than 10k on street driving only. If you track, then you'll get much less life out of them. They last me 4 track days if I'm lucky.

2) They pick up everything on the road and more. All I hear are rocks getting thrown around. I cracked a friend's windshield when he was following me and I've been hit in the face by rocks from my front tires while taking a turn with my windows down.

1/2) They suck major balls in the cold and the rain. This can go either way though because holy hell is it fun when you're driving around town. On the freeway...not so much. I got caught in a hail storm on my way home from a track day with the Cup 2's and slowed down to 45mph in the slow lane. The car was still hydroplaning like crazy and I got passed by a Prius. Really fun to slide around empty city streets though!

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
What sizes did you go with on the 4S set up? And is there much of a market the tires?
305s front and 325s rear. Looks real nice, IMHO. I don't understand your second question.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Everything is subject to size and pressure. I run Cup 2's in the rain hard and love them but mine are 305/325 19s. Little tramline problem but then again tire pressure is the key. Running Hoosier s day in and out doesn't work to well on the pocket book. The street tires get used for trips.
Im sorry this is terrible advice. Cup 2 are terrible in the rain ESPECIALLY if there is any standing water AT ALL. And they tram line all over the place comparatively at any pressure.
Sponsored