Sponsored

Very dark trunk

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hey guys,

One of the very few complaints I have about my '16 GT Convertible is how damn dark the trunk is. It's almost impossible to see what's in there, especially if you have anything on the left side that blocks that tiny little light. I was wondering if you guys have found any solutions to this? I was thinking maybe I could pick up one of those taplight things and just stick it back in there somewhere?

Something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/VIBELITE-B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J92FKDW35S8D11B66ZTV

Thoughts? Other solutions I'm missing? Surely my trunk isn't the only one that's this dark?
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
eBay $1.25 12 led light. Wired into existing trunk light. Comes with double sided tape. Mount in center of trunk area. Lights the trunk up like daylight.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I got a couple of modular LED strips from Autozone along with the wiring connector and mounter them on the beam that goes across the back of the opening and wired them into the trunk light. They work great and light the whole trunk.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks, all. I'm going to try a low-tech solution first, but if that isn't good I'll look into adding an LED strip as a couple of you noted.

thanks!

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I tried just changing the bulb Ron an LED but it didn’t improve anything.

I like the idea of the LED strip but can’t seem to find one that just plugs into the existing bulb location. Looks like a rewire may be needed. How does the light housing come off the wiring? I couldn’t not get it off and didn’t want to wreck anything.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I tried just changing the bulb Ron an LED but it didn’t improve anything.

I like the idea of the LED strip but can’t seem to find one that just plugs into the existing bulb location. Looks like a rewire may be needed. How does the light housing come off the wiring? I couldn’t not get it off and didn’t want to wreck anything.

I just put in the more powerful Dynamic Diode trunk light (they have 2 versions) and was pleased with it. Their video made it easy for me, Mr. Non-Mechanic. I wanted it to look stock while throwing off a brighter light. There is a discount if you reach out to them like i did...talk to Jake.

If you want more light, it appears they make a LED strip that plugs and plays into the original socket. Again, it would be a plug and play.

CVCashmere

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I just put in the more powerful Dynamic Diode trunk light (they have 2 versions) and was pleased with it. Their video made it easy for me, Mr. Non-Mechanic. I wanted it to look stock while throwing off a brighter light. There is a discount if you reach out to them like i did...talk to Jake.

If you want more light, it appears they make a LED strip that plugs and plays into the original socket. Again, it would be a plug and play.

CVCashmere
+1 on the diode Dynamics LED light. Good to know they have a plug and play LED light strip option, although so far I've been fine with their high output version of the trunk light.

By they way, they also offer a kit that replaces all the interior lights with LED... If I recall correctly, it includes the map lights, the vanity mirror lights, the glove box light and the trunk light.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've done the trunk and it's a huge improvement.
I have a question about the under hood lights. When they're on do they glare in your eyes?
I like how LEDs can really light up an area but if the lights themselves are visible they can glare and make it difficult to see.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a go. Can always remove them if I don't like it, right..
Sponsored