Sponsored

How good can a S550 be at dodging cones???

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
My car is now getting to be a very good autocross car, but getting to the point of not being a good street car.. I'm torn on what to do for next year's race season. I picked up a 99 Miata for short money with the intentions of it being my dedicated autocross car, but still unsure if I wanna go that route. Its not that the Mazda wont be up to the task. I just love racing the stang so much. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Here's a video of the car in action!

Sponsored

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
Both are rewarding in their own way, racing E street prepared in my mustangs was a blast because it was like fist fighting a bear. being able to power through everything always put a smile on my face. tthe only issue is the classes for the mustangs dont always fill up on a local level so there is not a ton of competition at times, but that depends on your area

Since you say 99 miata, im guessing you would be looking to run E Street? The nice thing about E street is how many people do it. there is always 5+ cars in ES down by me, and at times close to 10. with good drivers, all the cars run pretty much the same setups, and it really comes down to whos is a better driver. The level of competition is huge, and no matter where you race, youll have it.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
My ST doesnt like when i drive it that smooth

[ame]https://vimeo.com/244587163[/ame]

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
My car is now getting to be a very good autocross car, but getting to the point of not being a good street car.. I'm torn on what to do for next year's race season. I picked up a 99 Miata for short money with the intentions of it being my dedicated autocross car, but still unsure if I wanna go that route. Its not that the Mazda wont be up to the task. I just love racing the stang so much. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Here's a video of the car in action!

I cant answer your question but love the sound of your exhaust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Your video is convincing me to get sway bars. My car rocks like a damn boat.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy powering out of corners more than I enjoy nimbly weaving through slaloms or cornering at 2mph faster. YMMV.

Plus the V8 sounds sooo gooood. Only downside is paying twice as much for tires.

OP
OP
CompOrangeS550

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
Both are rewarding in their own way, racing E street prepared in my mustangs was a blast because it was like fist fighting a bear. being able to power through everything always put a smile on my face. tthe only issue is the classes for the mustangs dont always fill up on a local level so there is not a ton of competition at times, but that depends on your area

Since you say 99 miata, im guessing you would be looking to run E Street? The nice thing about E street is how many people do it. there is always 5+ cars in ES down by me, and at times close to 10. with good drivers, all the cars run pretty much the same setups, and it really comes down to whos is a better driver. The level of competition is huge, and no matter where you race, youll have it.
The plan with the Miata was to go all in and build a CSP car capable of setting FTD at most events. Also I think I drive momentum cars better than HP cars, but it might be that they're just easier to manage and throw around than my S550. As far as the classing and level of competition in them, the club's I've been running with lately, both cars have plenty of talented drivers to go up against to make things competitive and fun!

OP
OP
CompOrangeS550

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
CompOrangeS550

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
My ST doesnt like when i drive it that smooth

https://vimeo.com/244587163
Nice!

ST like to be "man handled". I hate to use that term, as I don't want to offend or dishearten any of the female members who may read this, but you get what I mean. A close friend of mine raced a Focus ST for a cpl yrs and that car needed to be thrown around to really live up to its potential. BTW I think both of the ST cars are great, proven AX platforms

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ever think of dedicating the Miata to autocross and saving the GT more for places like NHMS, Palmer, and Thompson that don't put such a premium on low to medium speed nimbleness over acceleration off the corners?

The Mustang's extra thousand+ lbs and several wheelbase inches is always going to make it more 'deliberate' in its cornering behavior.

Norm

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I got hooked on autocrossing with stock (now street) class sports cars (260Z and Lotus Europa and even an 88 Mustang) in the 70's through early 90's before switching to a CM Formula Ford until 2014. Then I tried a "normal I'm never going to autocross this car" 2012 Mustang automatic in FS for one year before buying my current 2015 GT PP (soon to be traded for a 2018 GTPP with 10A and magneride) for FS. The experiences obviously are totally different but all are FUN. Before spending a LOT of money to prep a CSP car or even a Street class Miata you might try co driving in someone else's car.

You might also consider getting an F125, FM, or CM autocross car and towing it with your current Mustang. My first tow vehicle for the CM FF was an 88 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch.

Last edited:

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
I got hooked on autocrossing with stock (now street) class sports cars (260Z and Lotus Europa) in the 70's through early 90's before switching to a CM Formula Ford until 2014. Then I tried a "normal I'm never going to autocross this car" 2012 Mustang automatic in FS for one year before buying my current 2015 GT PP (soon to be traded for a 2018 GTPP with 10A and magneride) for FS. The experience obviously is totally different but both are FUN. Before spending a LOT of money to prep a CSP car or even a Street class Miata you might try co driving in someone else's car.

You might also consider getting an F125, FM, or CM autocross car and towing it with your current Mustang. My first tow vehicle for the CM FF was an 88 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch.
im interested to see where they class the 2018+ mustangs with the PP2 and magride, i think they may put that in A street from some of the chatter i heard.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
im interested to see where they class the 2018+ mustangs with the PP2 and magride, i think they may put that in A street from some of the chatter i heard.
I'm sure the PP2 will be classed where the current Camaro 1LE is classed due to the much wider wheels and somewhat "better" suspension than the PP. MagneRide shouldn't make a classing difference since the SS Camaro has a mag shock option.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
I'm sure the PP2 will be classed where the current Camaro 1LE is classed due to the much wider wheels and somewhat "better" suspension than the PP. MagneRide shouldn't make a classing difference since the SS Camaro has a mag shock option.
thats true, im sure our SEB overlords will have something soon for us
Sponsored