Sponsored

How bad did ford Sandbag the Ecoboost?

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Dang man, that's a pretty wide summer tire. I could see mpg taking a plunge in the summer. I'm rocking 255/40/19s as well right now. Michelin PilotSport A/S3+. The Pirelli's got better mileage, but the Michelin's grip better. I'm trying to isolate what brought my mpg down. It's tough to do. Could be winter gas, new tires(higher rolling resistance), vta, or the car is about to take a dump :headbonk:
Oh yea, that's one upside of the pirelli's is the good gas mileage. But that's about the only upside lol.

Yea, pretty wide for a rear. It's a total of 4 inches wider than stock, not to mention additional contact patches. So I would totally guess it to affect gas mileage to some extent, but I had a bit of my drop before I even put my vossens on.

Honestly some days it drives me nuts, but I'm at the point now that I just have too much done to mine to even try and pinpoint where most of it is coming from. AGS, large rear wing, grille delete, FMIC, VTA, Tires, garbage winter gas in the midwest, etc. I'm sure every bit of that has a small impact and it's just added up lol. For now I just keep telling myself "It's worth it. At least mine looks better while sucking my wallet dry".
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Oh yea, that's one upside of the pirelli's is the good gas mileage. But that's about the only upside lol.

Yea, pretty wide for a rear. It's a total of 4 inches wider than stock, not to mention additional contact patches. So I would totally guess it to affect gas mileage to some extent, but I had a bit of my drop before I even put my vossens on.

Honestly some days it drives me nuts, but I'm at the point now that I just have too much done to mine to even try and pinpoint where most of it is coming from. AGS, large rear wing, grille delete, FMIC, VTA, Tires, garbage winter gas in the midwest, etc. I'm sure every bit of that has a small impact and it's just added up lol. For now I just keep telling myself "It's worth it. At least mine looks better while sucking my wallet dry".
lol, going broke in style. I like it. :D

I would wager to say that all the things you listed have had an impact on mileage. Especially the grille delete, wing, and winter gas. I still go back to tires as to why my mileage went down. :shrug:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Wait, huh? I wasn't comparing my car to another car lol.
Roger that. I reported my mileage, then you reported yours, so it seemed like you were offering a comparison between our two cars. Sorry for the confusion.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roger that. I reported my mileage, then you reported yours, so it seemed like you were offering a comparison between our two cars. Sorry for the confusion.
Haha not at all. As I said it doesn't bother me, as I know mines mostly a combination of parts that could potentially drag my mileage down. I was just meaning that I think if you are getting the EB for the pure fact of gas mileage, it's really not that much of a plus over a GT if that was your only deciding factor as many seem to be reporting some damn good MPG for their V8. I could understand if it got 30+ like my fathers new CRV, but at 20? Ehn, I'd take the fun factor.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Haha not at all. As I said it doesn't bother me, as I know mines mostly a combination of parts that could potentially drag my mileage down. I was just meaning that I think if you are getting the EB for the pure fact of gas mileage, it's really not that much of a plus over a GT if that was your only deciding factor as many seem to be reporting some damn good MPG for their V8. I could understand if it got 30+ like my fathers new CRV, but at 20? Ehn, I'd take the fun factor.
A lot of GT owners also talk out of their little tiny hole between their cheeks. I wouldn't believe everything you read. If you go on Fuelly, the average mpg for a GT is 18. Switch over to the average mpg for a Boost and it's 24. 6 mpg doesn't look like much, but it adds up quick. The guys claiming to get 25 and 26 in the GT are 100% highway going between 55-60 mph. I don't think anyone on this forum bought a Mustang to go 55-60 mph on the highway. If it's a long trip, it's understandable. But no one is averaging 25 mpg in a GT. No way, no how.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of GT owners also talk out of their little tiny hole between their cheeks. I wouldn't believe everything you read. If you go on Fuelly, the average mpg for a GT is 18. Switch over to the average mpg for a Boost and it's 24. 6 mpg doesn't look like much, but it adds up quick. The guys claiming to get 25 and 26 in the GT are 100% highway going between 55-60 mph. I don't think anyone on this forum bought a Mustang to go 55-60 mph on the highway. If it's a long trip, it's understandable. But no one is averaging 25 mpg in a GT. No way, no how.
That's around what I was talking about. To me 18 is pretty damn good for the GT. (Especially considering I come in between 20-22). It adds up sure, but I wouldn't call it ground breaking, or decision shattering. for 2-4 mpg...I'd still choose the V8 haha. If you SOMEHOW managed 26 overall in a GT, you should get an eco car because the way you drive, you'd never have to get gas lol.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Absolutely this, it's all in how you drive the car. I have averaged 22.9 out of my EB Premium over the last 13k miles, and have only had a single tank at 19.4 when I drove nothing but short trips for 2 weeks. Car has the FP tune, Mishi IC, shutter delete, and MRR M350 19's with 285/35's all the way around. The only advantage to me switching to a GT would be the ability of running 87 octane, but I can't imagine I'd get anywhere close to 20 driving mostly in the city.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Dear GT Owner:
>be me
>Last Friday - Full tank of 93
>2 hours to the track on Saturday
>4 PDX sessions (over 90MPH on the straights)
>Return with 1/3 of a tank of gas
>average 26.9mpg that tank
>my lowest.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I was just meaning that I think if you are getting the EB for the pure fact of gas mileage, it's really not that much of a plus over a GT if that was your only deciding factor as many seem to be reporting some damn good MPG for their V8. I could understand if it got 30+ like my fathers new CRV, but at 20? Ehn, I'd take the fun factor.
That may be true for you, but not for me. I specifically looked for an EB with the 3.31 gears because I wanted the better fuel efficiency that comes with the higher gearing.

To me, one of the primary advantages of the EB over the V8 is fuel efficiency. Over 100,000 highway miles an EB will cost $8,333 in fuel (30 mpg @ $2.50/gal) while the GT will cost $10,000 (25 mpg @ 2.50/gal). That gives me $1,666 I can put to other uses without giving up that much in performance. I realize the opposite argument is true--that $1,666 in fuel is worth the performance of the V8--but not if you value fuel efficiency. It pleases me greatly that I can enjoy above average performance while using fewer resources.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

That may be true for you, but not for me. I specifically looked for an EB with the 3.31 gears because I wanted the better fuel efficiency that comes with the higher gearing.

To me, one of the primary advantages of the EB over the V8 is fuel efficiency. Over 100,000 highway miles an EB will cost $8,333 in fuel (30 mpg @ $2.50/gal) while the GT will cost $10,000 (25 mpg @ 2.50/gal). That gives me $1,666 I can put to other uses without giving up that much in performance. I realize the opposite argument is true--that $1,666 in fuel is worth the performance of the V8--but not if you value fuel efficiency. It pleases me greatly that I can enjoy above average performance while using fewer resources.
Who puts 100k straight highway miles on their car? Pretty much no one. Despite this, the underlying premise is true. The EB gets a solid 5-6 mpg on average over a GT. Although I would say the average EB and GT owner get a little less on the highway than what you stated. The need for speed in a car like this is insatiable.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Who puts 100k straight highway miles on their car?
I was trying to show the V8 in the best possible light while doing an apples to apples comparison. If you use the EPA combined city/hwy ratings you get the following: Over a 100k miles the EB costs $10,416 (24 mpg @ $2.50/gal) while the V8 costs $13,888. (18 mpg @ $2.50/gal). That's a nearly $3,400 difference. If you compare the EB PP with the V8 PP the gap is even greater: $10,416 for the EB PP, which still gets 24 mpg combined, vs $14,705 for the V8 PP, which drops to 17 mpg combined.

I figured if I used the less complimentary numbers someone would complain I was being unfair to the V8, especially since I use my car mostly for highway travel. Just proves the old adage: You can't please all the people all the time.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha no reason for any hostility. I was just stating my own opinion brother. No regrets in my purchase whatsoever, and as I said, I would still take the EB over an eco car anyday, I just didn't happen to buy the EB for that reason. I'd be pretty disappointed if I did as I never hit those MPG numbers with my mods. As I don't have a fair or easy way to differentiate actual calculated MPG's by hand for city versus highway, only an average of both combined, using the on screen computer I usually hit 22-24 on the highway at 70.

:cheers: We all bought the car for our own reasons. As long as it makes you happy and you enjoy it...then it was worth it! Life's too short to drive boring cars!

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
I had a 2012 GT Auto premium and ran mostly regular. Tried premium and not a noticable difference. I now have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost auto premium PP. Have to run Premium or it falls on its face. I went to FP now I have to run premium. I keep very good track of my mileage and the GT averaged about 21-22 with 27 on long trips, The 2015 Eco averages 25 with 32 to 33 on long trips. Now Premium is up to 50 cents more a gallon! Do the math, it costs almost the same to drive either car. I know from experience! Don't choose the Eco over the GT based on fuel costs if you want full performance from your Mustang Ecoboost! I do like the everyday low speed punch of the turbo, much more fun to drive on the crowded curvy highways around my home, but the acceleration of the GT when punched at 40 MPH is AMAZING!

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Haha no reason for any hostility. I was just stating my own opinion brother.
No hostility whatsoever. Like you, I'm just sharing my thoughts.

As I don't have a fair or easy way to differentiate actual calculated MPG's by hand for city versus highway, only an average of both combined, using the on screen computer I usually hit 22-24 on the highway at 70.
I wonder, though, what kind of numbers you'd be seeing if you were driving a V8 with mods?

:cheers: We all bought the car for our own reasons. As long as it makes you happy and you enjoy it...then it was worth it! Life's too short to drive boring cars!
No doubt! I had a 2007 Accord Coupe with a 4cyl 5spd manual. It wasn't the fastest car on the block, but it was deceptively quick, light, handled like it was on rails, and after I put a decent set of wheels on it didn't look like a box. It was rock-solid reliable, got almost 450 miles out of a 14 gallon tank, and most importantly, was fun to drive. I replaced it in 2016 with another Accord. Since my wife bitched and moaned about driving a stick any time we needed to swap cars, I got the CVT instead of the stick. It was step up in performance--from 160 to 185 hp--and it got even better mileage. But somehow Honda managed to eliminate ALL character from the car. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent looking car, but driving it was effin boring. AND THE WIFE STILL BITCHED ANY TIME SHE HAD TO DRIVE IT! :frusty:

So, one day after listening to her complain about having to drive my car when I had to take hers for a service I thought, "How stupid is it that we own a car neither one of us enjoys driving?" Traded the Honda for the Mustang the next day. Now, at least one of us is happy... :ford:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, one day after listening to her complain about having to drive my car when I had to take hers for a service I thought, "How stupid is it that we own a car neither one of us enjoys driving?" Traded the Honda for the Mustang the next day. Now, at least one of us is happy... :ford:
LOL! :cheers::ford:
Sponsored