Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Getting scared about Ford not honoring their warranty because the “issue” is to wide spread is a bit much to me.... Going to multiple dealerships and complaining until one finally agrees to the repair YOU are requesting without listening to what they have to say is a bit rash to me.... Getting the idea that a small tick that has been common in coyotes since 2011 is somehow a sign of a damaged engine is a bit much.

The point I am trying to make here is that a lot here have jumped from it being a simple abnormal noise to a disastrous engine flaw that needs to be corrected right this second without any confirmation it’s an issue to begin with. It’s a DOHC V8 with DI and 12:1 compression. It’s going to make some noises... Try not to freak out when it does and note the noise and know that if it is an issue, you have 60k miles to have it corrected.....
Really? Unless you actually have the obnoxious rattle then you shoudnt be jumping to conclusions and saying it's just some noise. No one is panicking. Everyone just wants to understand what's going on. Warranty doesn't mean shit when Ford takes no action when there is a problem or service advisors saying the noise is normal just to make you go away. That's what my original dealer did which is why I went to a second dealer. That shouldn't happen but it does unfortunately.

We know what noises are normal that's why we try to help each other.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Btw my noise is still there fully hot but is super loud cold.
hmm, my noise is only while hot, and its barely audible. once i pointed it out to the shop foreman he knew what to listen for he could hear it and replicate it. but its very quiet and again only when hot. :shrug:

Tune was ordered along with a MGW shifter lol

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] have you heard my videos? I think you're being a Ford fanboy by telling us all it can be a normal noise. Btw my noise is still there fully hot but is super loud cold.
I have the exact same noise you do as well as the BBQ tick.... Does not change with engine temperature. I'm not being a fanboy here and I'm not 100% saying it's normal. What I am saying is that I have yet to see any other issues (oil consumption, low compression, loss of power, etc...) associated with the noises. So I fail to see how these noises merit a full engine replacement as of now. I understand the complaints about the noises but driving to multiple dealers until one agrees to the repair you desire because you think it's a serious issue is not the answer IMO.

Note the sound and continue driving it.... If something more serious does happen then have it be repaired. Just because it's a noise you don't like doesn't mean Ford is responsible for replacing your engine unless it will cause more serious issues down the road which we simply do not know yet. On top of this, if you do get them to replace your engine you are getting one that was manufactured around the same time as your original and has a very high chance of exhibiting the same noises.

If it is such a widespread issue, Ford has to address it which is what the latest dealer report says (TSB in the Fall). So my suggestion is to note the noise and wait tell the TSB is released. If Ford says no actions required then fine, drive the car and enjoy it. If something does break that's what the warranty is for.

We need to stop the attitude that just because it's an "abnormal sound" that it will result it catastrophic engine failure down the road IMO. If somehow my opinion makes me a fanboy then so be it. I'm just trying to give you a prospective from the other side when the customer is demanding a repair that isn't required yet and likely will not solve the issue....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Really? Unless you actually have the obnoxious rattle then you shoudnt be jumping to conclusions and saying it's just some noise. No one is panicking. Everyone just wants to understand what's going on. Warranty doesn't mean shit when Ford takes no action when there is a problem or service advisors saying the noise is normal just to make you go away. That's what my original dealer did which is why I went to a second dealer. That shouldn't happen but it does unfortunately.

We know what noises are normal that's why we try to help each other.
I most certainly have the rattle and tick.... I too want to know what's going on but demanding engine replacements for a rattle or tick doesn't solve the issue IMO. Your engine had score marks yes, but we can't make the conclusion that the score marks were a result of the rattle. It could have been a completely different issue. On top of that, from the pictures I saw, there was still cross hatch pattern behind the "score" marks which to me says whatever was causing those marks was very light and not piston slap. You could have had a stuck piston ring during the initial break in that caused the marks. The point I am trying to make is that we do not have enough information to relate score marks to the rattle. So going around YouTube and this forum and telling people as much does not help anyone.

I would not be surprised if Ford comes out with a TSB that states no corrective measures are required. If that's the case then ok, it's just a noise from a DI DOHC engine. I'll have a dealer note that my car has the noise and continue on enjoying the car until it gives me a reason not to.

The telling thing to me here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but not one engine builder has come forward with any concerns associated with stock piston bore clearances or out of round cylinders. They would be the first I would expect to blow the whistle if there is a serious manufacturing defect effecting many 18s.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I most certainly have the rattle and tick.... I too want to know what's going on but demanding engine replacements for a rattle or tick doesn't solve the issue IMO. Your engine had score marks yes, but we can't make the conclusion that the score marks were a result of the rattle. It could have been a completely different issue. On top of that, from the pictures I saw, there was still cross hatch pattern behind the "score" marks which to me says whatever was causing those marks was very light and not piston slap. You could have had a stuck piston ring during the initial break in that caused the marks. The point I am trying to make is that we do not have enough information to relate score marks to the rattle. So going around YouTube and this forum and telling people as much does not help anyone.

I would not be surprised if Ford comes out with a TSB that states no corrective measures are required. If that's the case then ok, it's just a noise from a DI DOHC engine. I'll have a dealer note that my car has the noise and continue on enjoying the car until it gives me a reason not to.

The telling thing to me here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but not one engine builder has come forward with any concerns associated with stock piston bore clearances or out of round cylinders. They would be the first I would expect to blow the whistle if there is a serious manufacturing defect effecting many 18s.
I didn't read all of your post but didn't Ford try to hide the Focus RS issue for a while? Couldn't they decide to not say anything with the 18 GT?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I didn't read all of your post but didn't Ford try to hide the Focus RS issue for a while? Couldn't they decide to not say anything with the 18 GT?
I believe they attempted to control the issue without releasing a warranty fix at first but did end up releasing an official repair under warranty.

As long as the engine still runs fine with no other issues I do not care how long it takes them to address the noise. If it is as widespread as this thread suggests (which is hard to say) then they will likely address it soon.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Ford did look at the scoring and made the decision to replace the short block. If it was minor then they would have come back and said that. Not one person that I know personally has said the scoring is not a problem. They all made a cringing face when they saw it. The Ford heavy line tech said the noise was from piston slap. So nothing I have stated is my own opinion. These have come directly from Ford. So I will keep telling people with the obnoxious rattle to get it checked. Never have I said they should demand a new engine just from the noise. If they get it checked and have the same symptoms that I had then of course they should get the same resolution. I should not be any different and I keep saying that a $50,000+ sports car should not be embarrassing to drive. While dealing with Ford was difficult, not once did they object to fixing the problem and they quickly approved the buyback so I do give them credit for that.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford did look at the scoring and made the decision to replace the short block. If it was minor then they would have come back and said that. Not one person that I know personally has said the scoring is not a problem. They all made a cringing face when they saw it. The Ford heavy line tech said the noise was from piston slap. So nothing I have stated is my own opinion. These have come directly from Ford. So I will keep telling people with the obnoxious rattle to get it checked. Never have I said they should demand a new engine just from the noise. If they get it checked and have the same symptoms that I had then of course they should get the same resolution. I should not be any different and I keep saying that a $50,000+ sports car should not be embarrassing to drive. While dealing with Ford was difficult, not once did they object to fixing the problem and they quickly approved the buyback so I do give them credit for that.

and we all understood you in your first post.....

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My dash use to have the music info displayed there also. now it doesnt, not sure what ive done to get it to go away lol. Mine had the shaker system, something i wouldnt have ordered, but was there, maybe i need to listen to music more haha.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It'll be interesting to see if this is present in the 2019s as well.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
My dash use to have the music info displayed there also. now it doesnt, not sure what ive done to get it to go away lol. Mine had the shaker system, something i wouldnt have ordered, but was there, maybe i need to listen to music more haha.
Did you change your gauge layout or put the shift light up top? Check your setting it is most likely something you changed.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you change your gauge layout or put the shift light up top? Check your setting it is most likely something you changed.
didnt think about it but its probably the shift light. i did have that set now.. :cheers:
Sponsored