Sponsored

Do I need to break in my new 18...

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
The mechanics of pistons rings, reasons why you break in, what manufacturers say and do, and break in explained.

Skip to the 44 second mark:

[ame]
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Of course you need to break in a vehicle. It's not only about the engine but the brakes, tires, etc - the whole car needs to brake in.

Breaking in does not mean drive like a grandpa. Breaking in means slowly progress in pushing your car like using the rev range of the engine up to about 2/3 of redline. Let it not stay in a high gear with low rpm for a long time. If you have 600 miles on it increase the rpms and start to use the entire rpm range if the engine is warm and start to add more throttle.

It's pretty dumb that a lot people think you can floor a new performance car like you want even though even single manufacturer is recommending braking in the car. The engineers know why the recommend it. It's the same when the manufacturer runs hundreds of hours in the windtunnel to get the best performance and people slap on aftermarket spoilers and think the car will handle better because of that :shrug:

You won't have done damage to the car by exceeding the braking in limits. But don't do it often and take this seriously

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I had six miles on my new 16 when I bought it. I drove the first week normally, then put it through it's paces going to and from work. I drive from the coastal bend to Hallettsville,Moulton, Shiner & Yoakum,Tx. I drive like I am on a road course up in the "Hill Country"as I am a Medical Tech for stroke patients, Quads & paraplegic patients. Lot's of fun driving for a living! Your car will be fine, use the "paddles"!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
At first I was convinced this was a troll post...still not convinced otherwise. :-)

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
At first I was convinced this was a troll post...still not convinced otherwise. :-)
Nothing will beat the thread where the person was freaking out because they hit redline one time. Half of the thread was people posting pics of GTs going past 7k :lol:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Yeah we hit 140+ first day. But not again. You think I should be good?
Maybe, maybe not. But now that you posted what you did on a public forum that Ford monitors, you can bet they have you in their little black book so they can void your warranty if it ever blows up.

Deleted member 33561

Anyone who believes these engines are broke in at the factory needs a reality check. They warm them up and run them on a dyno to make sure it meets factory specs and has no problems. I would be shocked if it ran more than 20 minutes. I broke mine in as recommended and I do love the sound of this engine (active exhaust).

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As long as the car is up to temp, go for it and do whatever you want. And for the love of whoever it is you get on your knees for...please bed your brakes in so you're not one of those who comes into the forums complaining about squeaky brakes.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The mechanics of pistons rings, reasons why you break in, what manufacturers say and do, and break in explained.

Skip to the 44 second mark:

Thanks for posting that. I make all of my life decisions based off the opinions of random people on you tube.;)

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who believes these engines are broke in at the factory needs a reality check. They warm them up and run them on a dyno to make sure it meets factory specs and has no problems. I would be shocked if it ran more than 20 minutes. I broke mine in as recommended and I do love the sound of this engine (active exhaust).
Do explain. Are you an engine builder? If they run them at the factory and there is no issues. What will cause issues once they are in the hands of private owners? You speak like you have extensive knowledge of engines. So please educate me.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for posting that. I make all of my life decisions based off the opinions of random people on you tube.;)
Video references Corvette owners manual. Although this could be a "random" car.

2018 Corvette Owners Manual:
"New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run
For the first 322 km (200 mi):
For the first 800 km (500 mi):
For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Video references Corvette owners manual. Although this could be a "random" car.

2018 Corvette Owners Manual:
"New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance ...
For the first 322 km (200 mi):
For the first 800 km (500 mi):
For the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi):
We've all read the owners manual. But I didn't
Follow that advice in my last 4 performance cars. Guess what?Nothing happened. And the engine builder to my race car actually recomended. A few heat cycles. Then go make 9 second passes. Guess what? I got 80 nitrous passes on that engine. Still runs perfect. I rebuilt the old 5.0 myself. Started 3 times. Brought it up to temp. Did a compression test. And dropped it in a fox. And went racing. That fox is still making 10 second passes. Im going to need more than a youtube video of some random yahoo as proof. Does anyone actually have any scientific date that breaking in a car will extend the drive trains life? Any studies? Other than youtube videos. Or the owners manual that has as much to do with lawyers advice. As anything. Im all for you guys putting around for the first 1000-1500 miles if it makes you feel good. Gives you a security blanket. But its not necessary.

Last edited:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2018 GTR Owners Guide says something similar to Corvette

"BREAK-IN SCHEDULE
NOTICE
Follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced vehicle performance ...

Someone should do a scientific test. Buy two Mustangs, run a compression check. Drive one like a rental car, follow Corvette Owners guide for the other, and then do another compression check.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Im going to say this one more time. So you dont have to post a kia owners manual next. Lawyers have imput on an owners manual. Im asking for something scientific. A long term study by anybody?
Sponsored