Sponsored

Three Weeks, 863.5 miles, Dead 2018 GT PP2

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
well at least it sounds like theyre trying to take care of ya. suck that it happened in the first place but hopefully it'll get resolved in a decent manner.

id say yeah if you found a piece of the block and a piston ring outside of the engine then the block is trash. most likely threw a rod, hydrolocked from a piston hitting a valve. could be a couple diff reasons.

and yes guys...i was joking on that part out comment, highly doubt somebody would wanna part out their 800 mile car that still under warranty, lol.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The concerning thing is when it isn't first time posters and you tubers having issues like this.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update from Ford today. The block is wasted so they are going to ship a long block out to my local dealer within the next week. They are going to expedite the repairs and add in an extended bumper to bumper warranty (Ford's Premium Care). Kudos to Ford and the local dealer for jumping on the problem as quick as they have. Hopefully the replacement motor will be a better one.
That’s nice of Ford to send out a new long block, because it would be kinda hard for the Ford Tech to fix a ventilated block.... :lol:

Glad they are trying to make you whole again. Stay on top of it, because as others have learned (myself included with my prior 2016), Ford is not all that great with sending the Customer updates (nor are the Ford Dealerships).

If you had reached out to Ford for a claim and Regional CSR to start a case claim, it’s nice they threw in the extended warranty for ya, but I’d call them back and ask them to refund you 1 car payment (or two) depending on how long it’s down. Expedited or not, being the owner of a new vehicle that self destructed is no way to start off a first date with Ford... they owe YOU and make sure you get compensated.

My prior 2016, with all the issues I had with that car, Ford coughed up the same Extended Warranty, their top tier Maintenance Plan, refunded 3mos of payments and I probably drove every single loaner product in their vehicle line up - and in the end, they eventually “gifted” me a 2018 through their Buy Back Program... :paddle:

I was PERSISENT in being made whole due to all the BS and down time I experienced with the 2016.

Good luck and I hope you come out on top as I did...

OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
That’s nice of Ford to send out a new long block, because it would be kinda hard for the Ford Tech to fix a ventilated block.... :lol:

Glad they are trying to make you whole again. Stay on top of it, because as others have learned (myself included with my prior 2016), Ford is not all that great with sending the Customer updates (nor are the Ford Dealerships).

If you had reached out to Ford for a claim and Regional CSR to start a case claim, it’s nice they threw in the extended warranty for ya, but I’d call them back and ask them to refund you 1 car payment (or two) depending on how long it’s down. Expedited or not, being the owner of a new vehicle that self destructed is no way to start off a first date with Ford... they owe YOU and make sure you get compensated.

My prior 2016, with all the issues I had with that car, Ford coughed up the same Extended Warranty, their top tier Maintenance Plan, refunded 3mos of payments and I probably drove every single loaner product in their vehicle line up - and in the end, they eventually “gifted” me a 2018 through their Buy Back Program... :paddle:

I was PERSISENT in being made whole due to all the BS and down time I experienced with the 2016.

Good luck and I hope you come out on top as I did...
Thanks for the advice. Since they are generally forecasting only a month and they did give me a heck of a nice car for a loaner, I probably won't push the issue of the payment(s).

As for the maintenance plan, I still plan on taking the car to HPDE days when i can and autocrosses every chance I get so I will likely be doing much more frequent maintenance on my own (have measured my garage for a quicklift). I don't know that the maintenance plan would really be worth haggling with Ford.

Ultimately, since I have already initiated a case with Ford if things go sideways and the replacement engine isn't making me happy I will pursue a lemon law claim or just trade it away for something else.

Sponsored

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
I did a little bit more than lurk...lol.:D
:cheers:

Seems like there are quite a few cars of all kinds of brands having issues. I've seen Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers blowing engines lately. Seems like direct injection may be a culprit diluting the fuel or two thin of oil for extra MPGs. FCA just increased the viscosity on RAMs after some ecodiesel engine failures. GM is going from 5W30 to 0W40 for Corvettes and Camaros due to some ring failures with the LT1.

Ugh

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The concerning thing is when it isn't first time posters and you tubers having issues like this.

Like that one guy that had his manual tranny bite the dust. Finally gets it fixed and the engine promptly grenades. No loner for a few weeks either! :tsk:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Just grabbed a 2018 PP1 Auto for giggles.
Thinkn bought buying a spare motor for NA build.
Lol, 5yr 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Update 15 July

So it has been two weeks since my engine chewed itself apart and Ford Motor has not yet authorized repairs. Since they have not authorized a repair, the dealership's service department cannot even order a replacement engine. As of today, my car has been out of commission for 15 days, and it looks like unless Ford makes a decision on Monday and express ships the motor, Ford will fail to meet the 30-day deadline for Maryland's Lemon Law.

My question is, should I still let them try to repair it or file a Lemon Law claim and force a buyback?

I really love the Mustang, but it seems Ford is dragging their feet (as they have for many affected with 2018 Mustang problems).

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
So it has been two weeks since my engine chewed itself apart and Ford Motor has not yet authorized repairs. Since they have not authorized a repair, the dealership's service department cannot even order a replacement engine. As of today, my car has been out of commission for 15 days, and it looks like unless Ford makes a decision on Monday and express ships the motor, Ford will fail to meet the 30-day deadline for Maryland's Lemon Law.

My question is, should I still let them try to repair it or file a Lemon Law claim and force a buyback?

I really love the Mustang, but it seems Ford is dragging their feet (as they have for many affected with 2018 Mustang problems).
If I was in your shoes, I think I'd be pretty fixated on having the PP2 and if Ford would agree to replace the dead car outright with a functionally identical car, I'd jump on it. I could also live with replaced engine if done right - and in a timely manner. Since there is no engine magic in a PP2, it's not like there are strange parts you'd have to wait on to make this happen. Only discomfort from my perspective is no confidence that Ford has found/addressed the problem on any engine ready to install or sitting between the fenders of any other PP2 at this point...

Clair

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Only way I'd take it back is if Ford GAVE you a 7 year/100K Premium extended warranty.

Otherwise you will always wonder what else might break or be affected.

OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Update 19 July

So I got pictures from the service department today... Hopefully these will compel Ford Motor to authorize the new engine.
RO 182610 Left side 2.jpg
RO 182610 Right side 2.jpg
intake manifold 1.JPG
intake manifold 2.JPG

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I'd say she's toast.

So, about the Ford buyback. Watch a few videos on youtube and see what you have to go through. It's not only time consuming but it looks downright frustrating.

Having said that, here is your chance at a "redo" so to speak. Are there any colors or options you wished you had changed? There are PP2's out there to be had. Cars.com show 10 that I can find within 500 miles of the midwest, so there are some you could pull the trigger on, but they are still 2018's and don't have the auto blip feature that the 2019 has.

Also keep in mind, you'll need to remove any non stock mods as they likely won't compensate you for those. If you swapped out the tires, well, then, if you get another PP2, you'll end up doing that all over again ... out of pocket. Food for thought ..