Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
When Ford approves a warranty repair, is the dealership paid for the labor at a pre-negotiated rate? Or does Ford pay them what the dealership charges it's regular customers?

I'm asking because I get the impression that some dealership service departments don't want to do warranty work, and I'm wondering if it's because of money.
Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I am curious about this too as I have noticed that they seem reluctant and take longer to complete warranty issues even after Ford's approval.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This may depend on the state. I looked this up once, and in CA anyway the manufacture is required to pay the same rate as other customers.

tripp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The warranty repair times are set by Ford. The individual dealership's warranty dollar per hour rate varies and is set by Ford based on numerous factors.

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
Bottom line is that NO, Warranty work does not pay the dealership at the same rate as the retail customer.

For those who don't know, when you take a vehicle in for service that you are paying for out of pocket most dealerships charges by book hours. If the book says that a repair will take 3 hours of time, you are charged for 3 hours of labor...……….even if the repair only took 45 minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Bottom line is that NO, Warranty work does not pay the dealership at the same rate as the retail customer.

For those who don't know, when you take a vehicle in for service that you are paying for out of pocket most dealerships charges by book hours. If the book says that a repair will take 3 hours of time, you are charged for 3 hours of labor...……….even if the repair only took 45 minutes.
So, how are the dealers paid for their labor on warranty work?

bcreed1983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue GT, 14 F150 FX4, 17 Escape
What tripp said is correct, I work at a Ford dealership and we have a pre-negotiated warranty labor and parts markup rate. It varies from state to state and dealer to dealer depending on a lot of factors but as a rule of thumb it is never the same as customer pay labor rate.

tripp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So, how are the dealers paid for their labor on warranty work?
Same way, except Ford sets the labor time (as opposed to Mitchell, Alldata, etc which set the customer pay rates based on warranty times). If the warranty job pays 3 hours, and the tech takes 2 hours to do it, the dealership still gets 3 hours at whatever their warranty labor rate is.
Sponsored