Sponsored

Wrenching on the S550

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I just wanted to express my joy of wrenching on my S550, I am no newcomer to wrenching on cars as I grew up in the Muscle Car era, however, I find doing the mods I’ve done so far to be less stressful and more rewarding than most work/repairs I’ve done in the past beit muscle cars or family cars. I’m sure I will run across a few mods that will make my vocal cords vibrate with profanity, possibly the shifter, but so far things are going well. Parts seem to be easily accessible, not totally seized up and simple geometry. Also I would like to add how well I feel the mods are thought out and engineered along with the great customer service we receive from all the vendors and let’s not forget all the help that is shared across this Mustang6g community. :ford:
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I just wanted to express my joy of wrenching on my S550, I am no newcomer to wrenching on cars as I grew up in the Muscle Car era, however, I find doing the mods I’ve done so far to be less stressful and more rewarding than most work/repairs I’ve done in the past beit muscle cars or family cars. I’m sure I will run across a few mods that will make my vocal cords vibrate with profanity, possibly the shifter, but so far things are going well. Parts seem to be easily accessible, not totally seized up and simple geometry. Also I would like to add how well I feel the mods are thought out and engineered along with the great customer service we receive from all the vendors and let’s not forget all the help that is shared across this Mustang6g community. :ford:
This car is too new for you to have problems getting components off. Give it another 10 years and plenty of heat cycles and you might be singing a different tune. Especially if rust plays a part over those 10 years.

I agree though, most everything is easily accessible. With the I4, I've never seen so much room in an engine bay before. You could probably fit a body on each side of the motor in the engine bay.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Go for the shifter. Joker. Not a bad install at all in my opinion.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. But I don't understand the mix between standard and metric fasteners. Metric everywhere...exhaust nuts 1/2"? What?

Minor gripe, but still odd - at least in my opinion.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. But I don't understand the mix between standard and metric fasteners. Metric everywhere...exhaust nuts 1/2"? What?

???

The bolts for the exhaust hangers are 13 mm.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus

For the engine cover on the ecoboost...they use 2 different size nuts, on opposing corners...DUMBEST IDEA EVER. IIRC 8, and 10mm

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
???

The bolts for the exhaust hangers are 13 mm.
The nuts on the exhaust manifold studs are 1/2" on the 3.7.

Not to mention the best fitting socket for the axle nuts is standard, not metric.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I've installed CAI, Headers, Tune, Converter on the S550. And I hated every second of it!!! But I'm to old and stubborn to let someone else do such simple work. And then rake me over the coles on labor costs.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This car is too new for you to have problems getting components off. Give it another 10 years and plenty of heat cycles and you might be singing a different tune. Especially if rust plays a part over those 10 years.

I agree though, most everything is easily accessible. With the I4, I've never seen so much room in an engine bay before. You could probably fit a body on each side of the motor in the engine bay.
That's usually where I keep mine. Helps with the weight distribution to balance the ones in the trunk.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Coming from German and Japanese cars I'm always amazed how heavy the Ford parts are. Bulky and heavy and not in a good way. But other than that the car's been easy to work on. Running two way radios, radar detectors and dash cams has been a breeze with all the gappy interior trim. I don't even need a trim separator running wires on this car most of the time.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Installing a short-throw shifter was, for me, a pretty difficult and labor-intensive process.

If I hadn't done it solo in my driveway or if I had smaller arms/hands/chest it would have been easier, but as it was my Tri-Ax installation took on the order of about 8 hours and there were a couple times I nearly chucked tools down the street in anger.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)

Great idea, now I can sell my Lincoln, getting a little stinky as it is.