Sponsored

Get a CAI with or without canned tune?

torch2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just bought a 2016 GT PP that has a Magnaflow sport exhaust and nothing else on it to date.

If I am not planning any further engine mods or full-exhaust mods down the road, should I get:

A) No-tune-required CAI?

B) CAI w/required canned tune?

C) CAI w/custom tune?

If you think a canned tune option is the way to go, which company do you recommend?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Personally, I'd wait until Steeda's new intake is available for sale - it's a performer.

Then get a tune from Steeda, Lund, AED, VMP, Palm Beach, or Livernois.

A CAI without a tune just makes WOOOOOOSSSH noises... it adds no significant power. MAYBE a wee tiddly bit of throttle response improvement. Whoopdy doo daa day.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Not available for sale yet. Can go to Steeda's recent drag record thread on this forum and get a glimpse of the prototype. It's a closed box design. If you want an open box, my preference is either the GT350 CAI (I use this) or the Steeda one. PMAS has a good reputation, but it's terribly ugly and therefore would never end up in my engine bay.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do it when you're ready to tune.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Not available for sale yet. Can go to Steeda's recent drag record thread on this forum and get a glimpse of the prototype. It's a closed box design. If you want an open box, my preference is either the GT350 CAI (I use this) or the Steeda one. PMAS has a good reputation, but it's terribly ugly and therefore would never end up in my engine bay.
I've seen that CAI in real life, don't ask me how :cheers:

All I can say is, looks like good stuff, no observable cons...it's worth the wait!

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Like wildcat said, tune is where the gains will come from. Don't even waste your time with a no tune required intake. Steeda, JLT, PMAS and gt350 intakes are all good options and will net pretty much the same gains across the board. For me personally I went with JLT as it looks best and I have had good customer service from them in the past. Do what fits your budget and needs the best.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go, a teaser of our CAI:

[ame]

TJ

Cdshivers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Performance Pkg
Vehicle Showcase
I will be getting a CAI around mid May... Any chance of knowing if this will be available by then?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I'm waiting for the Steeda one with a tune. Only decision is e85 or 93 tune????? Both are plentiful in TX.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Personally, I'd wait until Steeda's new intake is available for sale - it's a performer.

Then get a tune from Steeda, Lund, AED, VMP, Palm Beach, or Livernois.

A CAI without a tune just makes WOOOOOOSSSH noises... it adds no significant power. MAYBE a wee tiddly bit of throttle response improvement. Whoopdy doo daa day.
Bingo...I still two years later hate that I pissed away $350 on this thing. Just don't do it.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would go with option C. I’ve had a tune with stock airbox and tunes with both Steeda and JLT intakes. The CAI made a noticeable difference (to me) in top end. The engine seems to breathe and pull better up top.

As far as tune I’d go Lund or AED. A bigger power difference comes though with a flex fuel or E85 tune. Too many benefits to E85 to ignore.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to help with a Steeda CAI if you are interested ... we have some great tuners & I can assure you ... your tune will be written to be safe, reliable & powerful - a good trio we built into our tunes!

Best Regards,

TJ

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Waiting on the steeda intake then I am going to do I/H/E/cams E85 all at once. It's the most economical approach so you're not retuning everything repeatedly.
Sponsored

Last edited: