Sponsored

Tuning Question! MPG doesn’t match full tank mileage!

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I fill up my car, at the time I was averaging 14.5 mpg, but when my tank was full, my (miles to empty) read 187 miles, when it should be around 217 miles. I’m running 91 right now, not e85.

I’m also getting what looks like a carbon build up on my rear valance.

My car is dyno tuned, am I correct thinking that my car is tuned to rich, and that could be the issue of why my actual mileage isn’t matching what my gauge is reading?

Any help is appreciated, this is rather frustrating...
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I fill up my car, at the time I was averaging 14.5 mpg, but when my tank was full, my (miles to empty) read 187 miles, when it should be around 217 miles. I’m running 91 right now, not e85.

I’m also getting what looks like a carbon build up on my rear valance.

My car is dyno tuned, am I correct thinking that my car is tuned to rich, and that could be the issue of why my actual mileage isn’t matching what my gauge is reading?

Any help is appreciated, this is rather frustrating...
There's also a pretty distinct smell at idle for a bit when your car is running rich. The fact you already can see buildup on the rear is a bad sign. I would probably have your tune checked and do some data logging.

It will also help if you can monitor some of your stats while you drive like your AFR.

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
The DTE on the dash is a 500 mile rolling average. It doesn't change based on the MPG on the dash

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
1) take miles to empty with a grain of salt

2) you can easily tell if your car is running rich or not just by looking at the gauge cluster and seeing what the AFR is. Should be high 13s low 14s cruising.

3) have you actually calculated the MPG/miles per tank or are you just frustrated at the poor estimation in the dash

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
1) take miles to empty with a grain of salt

2) you can easily tell if your car is running rich or not just by looking at the gauge cluster and seeing what the AFR is. Should be high 13s low 14s cruising.

3) have you actually calculated the MPG/miles per tank or are you just frustrated at the poor estimation in the dash
The only calculation I’ve done is the math of my mpg and miles to empty. Before, when I would average 15-16 mpg, my miles to empty would be much higher.
Sponsored