Sponsored

Glass repair person dropped tool into my fender

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
So... the lovely experience of having my windshield cracked and replaced in my new mustang was made even more awesome by the repair person accidently losing one of his tools in my fender. I think it was a small tool used to safely pull the cowling away from the window, but he put it down and didn't realize there was an opening into the fender and of course, it fell completely down there. I can hear it moving around when I'm going over speed bumps and such.

So, how hard is it to take the fender off this car? I think it's fallen into the very bottom just behind the front wheel.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Inside of the fender well at the bottom there are 3 plastic retainers . Remove them .
Pull back the plastic inner fender cover . New tool .

OP
OP

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Is there a special tool to use to get these retainers? Are they those pop out things that I hear people breaking when they remove?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
If it's a metal tool, buy a telescoping magnet and retrieve it from the hole. I had to do this when I dropped a small screwdriver into that abyss when installing my strut bar.

C.Stanley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just use a small screwdriver to pull the center section out and the clip will follow.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Yes there is and after you have done 1 you will know what you are doing . Pull the center up all the way . Pull the inner up and out . I don't break them . Upholstery removal tools . Or a hook and scribe tool . Do this procedure when it is warm out and the retainers do not break .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you go to an auto parts store or look online there are also tools designed just for pulling the little plastic fasteners. The end is shaped a bit like a fork to fit around the head of the fastener. Just ask for help at the store.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Sometimes those plastic tabs don't like to go back in. But if any go bad you can get them at the dealerships.

I've dropped things down there too.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Yeah, I dropped a spark plug in there once. If you're careful with a screwdriver, you can pop the wheel well liner out and get it back in without breaking anything.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Those magnetic grabbers are a must with this car. Makes the engine cover so much easier to get on and off as well as well as the tools dropped into the fenders.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
You take 2 smallish flat tip screw drivers and carefully pry the center section out of the retainers, there are 2 cutaways that allow you to do this. Then remove the retainer. :ford:
Sponsored