Sponsored

Can anyone verify the ticking noise for Coyote engines?

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I know this has been talked a lot, posted a lot and debated a lot, but seems like there is not an actual reason or the answer for this. My 17 GT had the tick and my 18 has the tick as well but much louder. I really do not care for it anymore, but its true that its such an annoying sound. Can anyone actually verify?
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
-following
I have a ticking noise at low speeds thru parking lots specifically notice it when engine is warm. Same issue your having?

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
-following
I have a ticking noise at low speeds thru parking lots specifically notice it when engine is warm. Same issue your having?
Funny thing about my 18 is that the ticking noise is actually hard to hear during cold start, and it gets very loud when the engine is fully warmed up. I hear at idle, driving, basically every time. I had 17 GT, which ticked loud during cold and started to go down when it warmed up. its doing the opposite thing now.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
According to Ford, it is caused by normal interaction of the oil with the bearings, block, caps and rods.

Something in the way the bottom end is built causes the intermittent noise...and it usually decreases as the oil ages. This explains why many owners report first hearing the noise immediately after an oil change.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
According to Ford, it is caused by normal interaction of the oil with the bearings, block, caps and rods.

Something in the way the bottom end is built causes the intermittent noise...and it usually decreases as the oil ages. This explains why many owners report first hearing the noise immediately after an oil change.
That makes no sense because the noise should disappear as the oil ages after the change. Mine stayed consistent after the 1st change.

Sponsored

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I have a 2015 GT. What I've learned about this in my research is that for the 2015-2017 models, the noise is being blamed on the cam phasers. It generally comes from the front passenger side of the engine after your first few oil changes or so and only when the RPMs are below ~1100.

I've taken my car to Ford about it and they tested the phasers (supposedly--not sure how that's done) and they said they're fine and to not worry about the noise. I've also read that someone, maybe in this forum, actually replaced their cam phasers and they reported that the sound went away until the first or second oil change.

For the 2018 and up engines, it's beginning to look like the ticking noise is something entirely different and it's much louder. There have been a couple cases already, in this forum, where engines have been replaced. This is not to scare anyone, but to point out that something different is occurring with the gen 3 coyotes.

OP
OP

kms0567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I have a 2015 GT. What I've learned about this in my research is that for the 2015-2017 models, the noise is being blamed on the cam phasers. It generally comes from the front passenger side of the engine after your first few oil changes or so and only when the RPMs are below ~1100.

I've taken my car to Ford about it and they tested the phasers (supposedly--not sure how that's done) and they said they're fine and to not worry about the noise. I've also read that someone, maybe in this forum, actually replaced their cam phasers and they reported that the sound went away until the first or second oil change.

For the 2018 and up engines, it's beginning to look like the ticking noise is something entirely different and it's much louder. There have been a couple cases already, in this forum, where engines have been replaced. This is not to scare anyone, but to point out that something different is occurring with the gen 3 coyotes.
Yes, my 18 ticks hard and its very loud. Do you think its an issue and has to be taken to the dealer?

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Yes, my 18 ticks hard and its very loud. Do you think its an issue and has to be taken to the dealer?
It definitely wouldn't hurt to get it looked at, if you can be without the car for a day or two.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
It definitely wouldn't hurt to get it looked at, if you can be without the car for a day or two.
Or two months like mine LOL. But kidding aside, yes it should get looked at, at least to get it documented in case it gets worse down the road. I still have faith that Ford will fix whatever is causing the ticking or rattling. I don't believe in the noise "because race car" argument.

I could live with ticking/chattering, not the obnoxious rattle I was getting.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
That makes no sense because the noise should disappear as the oil ages after the change. Mine stayed consistent after the 1st change.

Hence my use of the word, usually.

It doesn't have to make sense, it is what it is.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Hence my use of the word, usually.

It doesn't have to make sense, it is what it is.
Can I ask where you got your info? Because I haven't seen anyone say that their noise goes away gradually.

At least for the bbq tick, it showed up after the 1st oil change and stayed consistent after that.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Mine rattles. You have to turn off the radio and listen to hear it though. One of these days I'll have an evening free where I can shove a bore scope down the spark plug hole and have a look. The dealer told me mine was normal when I had it in for my oil pan leak.

It hasn't gotten any worse or better...3k miles and same as day 1. Car runs awesome, and I have 57k miles of warranty left so I'm not sweating it right now. If it is some some of production defect I'd rather wait until they have it fixed before I bother getting another engine anyway.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but my 2011 3.7 had a ticking noise also, located around the front of the valve covers. After enough complaints came in, Ford acknowledged the noise existed, and issued a TSB explaining how to repair it. I can't recall the exact details of their explaination, but I do remember them saying it had no effect on the longevity of the motor. In spite of that statement, whatever it was causing the noise was corrected during the 2012 model run as the TSB applies only to 2011 - early 2012 models.

My point is once Ford gets enough complaints to acknowledge the issue their engineers will try to find a solution. They've already admitted the noise in the 5.0 exists, so I think they will eventually come up with a fix.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt

Can I ask where you got your info? Because I haven't seen anyone say that their noise goes away gradually.

At least for the bbq tick, it showed up after the 1st oil change and stayed consistent after that.

The genesis of the info came from this very informative 2015 post. I say genesis, because it led me elsewhere and to more info regarding the identical powerstroke ticks.

Though it costs nothing to click the thank you button when someone provides valuable info on this forum, it's apparent few can afford that expense:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847403&postcount=119

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Last edited: