Replaced center speaker...now my bass from the doors is better?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Pretty much every day. Sounds fine to me - not distorted. Just wish it went a bit louder at times, and had better quality highs.

I dare you to listen to Collective Soul "Heavy", or Dinosaur Jr, "Out There", or Awolnation "Here Come The Runts" without going over 20. Hell, I often max out at 30 for some older stuff that wasn't recorded as loud - The Cars 'Candy-O" for example.
Mmmm... Candy-O... mmmm
:cheers:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I feel for the milennials......

R-2400728-1281959887.jpeg.jpg

[ame]

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I loved The Cars first three albums, but man did they suck live. Sounded good but BORING.

Last edited:

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I finished my up Chef_jpd upgrade today:

Replaced the stock sub with a Rockford Fosgate 8" Punch and swapped out the A pillar tweets with Kicker 41KST254 silk domes.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finished my up Chef_jpd upgrade today:

Replaced the stock sub with a Rockford Fosgate 8" Punch and swapped out the A pillar tweets with Kicker 41KST254 silk domes.
Any improvement? Are the highs too harsh now?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Any improvement? Are the highs too harsh now?
I only went for a short drive after installing the Kicker's so at this point all I can say is I noticed a difference in the way things sound overall. I'm going to need more time to form an opinion but so far nothing I'd describe as harsh. I have read where Chef and some other posters here replaced the Kicker x-over's with Focal's to tone them down. I'm getting old so I may not be able to notice anymore...

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I only went for a short drive after installing the Kicker's so at this point all I can say is I noticed a difference in the way things sound overall. I'm going to need more time to form an opinion but so far nothing I'd describe as harsh. I have read where Chef and some other posters here replaced the Kicker x-over's with Focal's to tone them down. I'm getting old so I may not be able to notice anymore...
Keep up updated, I am curious how the Kickers sound. I have been thinking about doing this upgrade.

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
I had replaced all of my other speakers first and was still really unhappy. I just did the center a few weeks ago and like others have said, it was the single biggest improvement (next to adding a sub). I unsoldered the factory harness and used it with the capacitor from the Polk speaker.

The factory amp still gets muddy above 20 but I'll deal with that later.

If anyone wants my spare I'll sell it, like the other guy $25 to the lower 48. PM me.
Which speakers did you get? I replaced all of mine, and while with the center speaker it all sounds slightly louder, without it, the music sounds a lot smoother!

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Was thinking of getting this for my center speaker. I only see them for sale on ebay, I was getting confused because they apparently have a DB351 variant for boats which makes searching for them annoying.

Can a newbie like me install this pretty quick?

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Was thinking of getting this for my center speaker. I only see them for sale on ebay, I was getting confused because they apparently have a DB351 variant for boats which makes searching for them annoying.

Yep! Pretty easy to install this one. Besides that, a lot of useful information on this forum to help you do so!:headbang:

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Amazon has them.

Should be easy peasy.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Amazon has them.

Should be easy peasy.
Yep, $40 bucks. Guess I'll find out soon enough, but I have been wondering if there's enough room under the speaker grill to install my Fastrak device which is about 3x3x.5. Maybe rework the grill mounts to be magnetic for easy removal. Any insights on this idea?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, $40 bucks. Guess I'll find out soon enough, but I have been wondering if there's enough room under the speaker grill to install my Fastrak device which is about 3x3x.5. Maybe rework the grill mounts to be magnetic for easy removal. Any insights on this idea?
The non PP cars don't have much room under the grill because of the center vent. I actually had to clearance the grill the make room for the tweeter as it does protrude a bit.

PP cars with no center vent can "under mount" the speaker and should be able to get away without clearancing the grill. I'd imagine your device would fit in that scenario.

The grill does go under the metal bezel that runs the length of the dash. So in order to make the grill removable you'd have to contend with that.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am reluctant to replace a component speaker with a co-axial speaker. I'm afraid it's gonna mess up the sound stage and cause harsh highs. But I want better highs, and this seems easier than replacing the pillar tweeters. For those who have done this and only this, can you describe the difference it made, pros and cons?