• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Hello all, I’m new here with my 2017 GT Convertible, had it for 2 months now.
Love everything about it! It’s my DD. Anyway, I’ve been putting Suoer in it vs just regular gas.

What are the opinions of this????

Thanks. :ford:

Poll added.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I put in 91 since that’s the highest we can get here in CA. I tried 87 a few times to see if I could feel a difference and I actually could. It ran a bit rougher and the engine just didn’t seem as responsive. I didn’t notice much of a change in gas mileage since I don’t really care. Yea, maybe I’ll save 1-2mpg, either way it’s till terrible on gas. Plus I’ve been reading a bit too much into engine knock, knock sensors and 87 gas and I’d rather have the peace of mind and just use 91.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
93 always, and get a tune for 93. This argument will be null then.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When I first bought my 2015, I started running 91, but then when it got cold I switched to 87 since there was no need for the extra few points of octane. Later I tried both off and on and I could never tell a difference.

I think the answer can absolutely vary depending on the conditions you run the car in. Since I'm in the northern tier of states, most of the year it's below 70 degrees here. If you live where it's almost always hotter than the mid 80s, you might notice a difference. If you're running in chilly conditions I would be extremely surprised if you feel any difference at all. The engine just doesn't need to retard the timing to prevent detonation when the intake charge is cool. This morning it was in the 30s here and this afternoon the high will be lower 50s. The extra points of octane are not needed at all.

Maybe the 2018 with higher CR will benefit more from higher octane, even in cooler temperatures. My common sense says that my tires are rock hard when it's below ~60 degrees anyway. The higher octane is just a waste of money 8+ months of the year around here.

Fuel economy will depend on the mixture used to get the octane. If more ethanol is used to get the octane up, you will get worse fuel economy with the higher octane.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
OMG, not this again. Use the search function. We have gone though this topic a million times.

That's why I voted PIE.

mmmmmmm pie........

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Midgrade pie for me...

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
What is your definition of Premium vs Regular? Here it can very between vendors - Casey's "Regular" is 87 octane and their "Premium" is 89. Sams Club - 89/91, Murphy's 89/93...if you are referring to Octane rating you need to put the number in your poll not just "regular or premium". I run 91 or 93 just out of habit, had a tuned '12 SHO prior to the Mustang that needed 93.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You buy an expensive, high performance car and use regular gas? What?

In the boost, there is a very noticeable difference between 87 and 93. I would imagine that noticeable difference would be on the GT as well.

93 offers more power, better mileage, and less of a chance of knock. Why not?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Octane booster. The engine does run smoother, pulls a bit harder. Just a bit.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.