Sponsored

Battery Relocation

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base coupe
Has anyone relocated their battery to the trunk? What kit did you use?

Pics ?
Sponsored

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Has anyone relocated their battery to the trunk? What kit did you use?

Pics ?
I've done this, I didn't use a kit just some 2ga wire. If you plan on going to the track you need an approved cover/battery disconnect. all the kits come with 2ga but i'd recommend going a little heavier as mine slows the starter down quite a bit.

Actually VERY easy. pull the battery out you can see a rubber grommet where rain water drains. go through there down into the fender. pull your fender cover go through another rubber grommet into the passenger floorboard. (i just slit the rubber with a utility knife then black RTV once its pulled through.) then basically pulled it through the door sill mustang cover into the back seat area under the carpet in the truck behind the sub woofer then down into the spare tire compartment. where its terminated as you can see in the pic snug as a bug.
20151218_175120.jpg

OP
OP

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base coupe
Thanks so much for the info. So that area actually holds a battery cool.

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Is that battery fastened securely to the floor of your trunk?
Yes you can see the battery hold down bolt inside that syrofoam that I added for extra support I got at the local auto parts store. Even though that foam holds that in there pretty good anyways.

Side note you do have to trim that foam to make it fit in there it wont fit like that without modifying it.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yes you can see the battery hold down bolt inside that syrofoam that I added for extra support I got at the local auto parts store. Even though that foam holds that in there pretty good anyways.

Side note you do have to trim that foam to make it fit in there it wont fit like that without modifying it.
Nice work!

Rumbloki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mach 1
I've done this, I didn't use a kit just some 2ga wire. If you plan on going to the track you need an approved cover/battery disconnect. all the kits come with 2ga but i'd recommend going a little heavier as mine slows the starter down quite a bit.

Do the terminals stick up higher than the foam?

Is the bolt that hold down the foam good enough to ground the battery?

Thanks

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium

Actually VERY easy. pull the battery out you can see a rubber grommet where rain water drains. go through there down into the fender. pull your fender cover go through another rubber grommet into the passenger floorboard. (i just slit the rubber with a utility knife then black RTV once its pulled through.) then basically pulled it through the door sill mustang cover into the back seat area under the carpet in the truck behind the sub woofer then down into the spare tire compartment. where its terminated as you can see in the pic snug as a bug.

What did you use for your connections up front?

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I recommend buying or building the kit that Watson Racing used in the Cobra Jet. Since the is DIY have a look at the instructions for their kit and you should be able to find most of the parts.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Screenshot_2021-02-01-08-50-49.png

Picture of Watson kit. Very pricey! But good detailed instructions!!

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Picked up a few tips from YouTube:
Use a dry cell battery in a non vented trunk.
Add a ground cable from your engine block to front chassis when grounding your battery in your trunk.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I like the positioning, but unless that hold down bolt you added has some other way to secure the batter than I see, it's not secure enough for my taste.

I used a marine battery box with U-bolts going into the trunk floor on either side and doubler plates on the back so they can't pull through. I use a nylon pull strap through the U-bolts and over the battery box to secure it all. It doesn't move.

I didn't use a kit, but just bought the appropriate marine box and single 0 wire. The ground strap goes directly to the trunk floor. The starter turns just as quickly as it did stock.
Sponsored