Sponsored

My audio install thread. Shaker complete overhaul.

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
So let me explain.

The JL amps and TwK-88 have audio sensing detection turn on. So in theory I should not need a remote, even though I put a dedicated key-on 12V remote from the fuse panel to the TwK-88.

Both amps should turn on and stay on with the audio signal alone.

Well the sub amp has RCAs directly to the Sync3 rear output and it stays on no matter the Sync3 volume.

The TwK-88 takes the Sync3 front and makes 8 separate RCAs back to the high/mid 8 channel amp. When the volume on the Sync3 is low then the 8 channel turns off but the sub amp stays on.

1st thing I tried was to just take the sub amp RCA out and run it to the Channel 4 input of the 8 channel. Didn't work.

Next thing will be to adjust the TwK-88 so the amp sees a constant RCA input voltage no matter the volume on the Sync3.

Last resort is to use the TwK-88s remote turn on and wire to both amps. The wire is already there basically with the two Stinger 9 core wire.
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That sounds like every auto-sensing experience I've ever had.

I think they must rely on background noise to stay active. In particular on phone calls, I believe the compression and noise reduction features will often result in a literally flat signal by design.

I've had it happen in home theater setups as well. Some sources will always have some noise, some will go dead silent from time to time. Nothing more annoying than hearing relays click on and off in a silent scene.

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
So what you are saying is "skip all the auto sensing bullshit and just wire the damn thing"?

:D

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Wired up the remote output on the TwK to the amps. Everything works fine now.

New technology sucks when it doesn't work.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wired up the remote output on the TwK to the amps. Everything works fine now.

New technology sucks when it doesn't work.
By chance did you ever know a E9 Marc Hill with a Comp Orange 04 Cobra stationed there? Now has a 14 Shelby in Blue.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So what you are saying is "skip all the auto sensing bullshit and just wire the damn thing"?

:D
I mean it's what I do when I have a choice. :cheers:

How do you feel about the sound quality you get from the factory Ford ACM with the as-built changes? This build is very much in line with what I plan to do myself someday.

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I mean it's what I do when I have a choice. :cheers:

How do you feel about the sound quality you get from the factory Ford ACM with the as-built changes? This build is very much in line with what I plan to do myself someday.
So I haven't disabled the EQ yet in the ACM. I will probably do that on Monday.

So far so good as is though. The TwK allows so much adjustment. I will get it all RTA'ed and time adjusted early next week as well.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Awesome, I look forward to hearing what you think after that.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
So I haven't disabled the EQ yet in the ACM. I will probably do that on Monday.

So far so good as is though. The TwK allows so much adjustment. I will get it all RTA'ed and time adjusted early next week as well.
+1. Let us know what EQ option you choose/change and how it sounds afterwards. I didn't change anything in Forscan for my system and it sounds good IMO with what I've changed in the Helix DSP. But of course I wonder if it could sound better. :lol:

Sponsored

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
So overall, is upgrading these new stereo systems on the s550 a huge pita in your opinion? As per my avatar im still a foxbody owner so its easy on these cars. Im considering getting the s550 but think the sound system is pretty pathetic.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So overall, is upgrading these new stereo systems on the s550 a huge pita in your opinion? As per my avatar im still a foxbody owner so its easy on these cars. Im considering getting the s550 but think the sound system is pretty pathetic.
not a pita at all.

make some connectors up as per the sticky thread in this section and you can take the RCA from the factory amp and send the output from your aftermarket amp to the factory speaker cable. from there it's just replacing speakers like for like (sizewise) and adding a decent sub & running cable to it. Finally use Forscan to remove equalisation which is just 1 entry. piece of piss really.

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
+1. Let us know what EQ option you choose/change and how it sounds afterwards. I didn't change anything in Forscan for my system and it sounds good IMO with what I've changed in the Helix DSP. But of course I wonder if it could sound better. :lol:
I made it all flat so there is no EQ from the factory head unit in Forscan. I set my crossover points and the delay with the TwK as well as all my amp gains with the DD1 and a multimeter.

I am RTA'ing this weekend. The week I am busy retiring. Lol

OP
OP
z06psi

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
not a pita at all.

make some connectors up as per the sticky thread in this section and you can take the RCA from the factory amp and send the output from your aftermarket amp to the factory speaker cable. from there it's just replacing speakers like for like (sizewise) and adding a decent sub & running cable to it. Finally use Forscan to remove equalisation which is just 1 entry. piece of piss really.
Thanks for saving me the typing.

:thumbsup:

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I made it all flat so there is no EQ from the factory head unit in Forscan. I set my crossover points and the delay with the TwK as well as all my amp gains with the DD1 and a multimeter.

I am RTA'ing this weekend. The week I am busy retiring. Lol
Don't go overboard with the RTA trying to make it look perfect to the point where the music sounds lifeless... make it sound they way you want and screw what the RTA says.

Retiring? Congrats and once again, thank you for your service!!! :headbang:
Sponsored