In need of info. on the real world use of clear bras

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I keep going back, and forth on whether I will has a clear bra installed on the wife's new '18. If those that have them would give me some real world testimonials I think it would help me decide. What I'm looking for is kind of a cost vs benefit conversation rather than the brand. It seems the Expel, Suntek, and Llumar are all good films with a faithful following. As we all know none are cheap. We also know that a large projectile traveling at supersonic speed from a big rig will decimate both the film and paint, so it's the simple things I'm wondering about. Thanks for your help.

BTW, I have two experienced installer in my area, so I'm good to go there.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you check the warranty information and guarantee the install job is quality once you get it back. I want to say the Scotchgard one included some sort of statement about how they'll repair whatever is damaged underneath the PPF. Not sure if that covers a boulder hitting your hood because I'm certain that'll be some bs excluded instance.

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
I keep going back, and forth on whether I will has a clear bra installed on the wife's new '18. If those that have them would give me some real world testimonials I think it would help me decide. What I'm looking for is kind of a cost vs benefit conversation rather than the brand. It seems the Expel, Suntek, and Llumar are all good films with a faithful following. As we all know none are cheap. We also know that a large projectile traveling at supersonic speed from a big rig will decimate both the film and paint, so it's the simple things I'm wondering about. Thanks for your help.

BTW, I have two experienced installer in my area, so I'm good to go there.
They are lifesavers. I went with the Expel bikini (seriously) on my 17. It was barely noticeable and protected the car fantastically well from a few good size hits. You know you got hit because the rock still ricochets off the hood and wacks the windshield. No protecting from that sadly.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
SunTek Ultra, 10 year warranty PPF. Don't look back. It's better than XPEL Ultimate and I've had both products. I can't even tell I have it until I'm up close looking at the edges. Heals rock chips. I love the stuff.

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
i also have Suntek with a FULL front end wrap which included front bumper, headlights, hood, front side panels and side view mirrors. it helps with the rock chips and almost anything that kicks up on the road. also, keeps the paint protected from the UV rays and easy to clean with no scratches.

SunTek Ultra, 10 year warranty PPF. Don't look back. It's better than XPEL Ultimate and I've had both products. I can't even tell I have it until I'm up close looking at the edges. Heals rock chips. I love the stuff.

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info on these options. Can anyone share what the Suntek wrap costs, on average?

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
Go for it I have Suntek on my 2018. I went with the entire front clip (full hood, full fenders, entire front end/bumper), side view mirrors and rocker 8 inches next to rear wheel. I live in the Nashville, TN area and had it done by a reputable shop who did a fantastic job, it's not noticeable unless you are up close and looking for it. If someone doesn't know it's on there, they will have no clue. Total cost was $1500 tax included.

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info on these options. Can anyone share what the Suntek wrap costs, on average?
In my area (North Carolina) I was quoted $865 for the partial install at one shop for the best Llumar or Expel, and $800 for the best SunTek at another. The Llumar, and SunTek are both made by Eastman Chemicals, so I would bet they are the same material. The prices are for the bumper, partial fenders and hood, headlights, and mirrors.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Do it, and not the partial either. Paint is thin on these cars!

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I bought a nearly new Mustang that the previous owner put a clear bra on. MMM I believe.
Anyway, It took incredible abuse. A few rocks went through the bra. Before I sold it, I removed it. The car looked like new. Not a mark on the hood or front of the fenders.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have Xpel Ultimate on full front, A-Pillars, roof, and behind all the tires. Also every carbon fiber piece on the exterior is fully wrapped with Xpel Ultimate PPF. Their stuff is thick and if the installer is good, you won't see it unless you look up close. It not only protects from rock chips, but makes cleaning and wiping off dust/debris ezpz. It also stays shiny after minor detailing or washes.

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I own a detailing shop and do vinyl/protection film wrapping. To get right to your question, yes, its absolutely worth the money and the investment. There is currently no better option for protecting your cars paint and extending its longevity.

A few points to keep in mind; Use a quality and highly recommended installer, this is true for vinyl wraps but even more so for protection films. A full bumper, both fenders, full hood, mirror caps, the front portion of the pillars, and around the rear wheel wells is what I recommend but of course we offer full vehicle wraps. For the above, $1200-1600 would be my wholesale price as if I hired a professional wholesale installer using his film without paint correction (suntek, ultimate xpel, 3m..the good film with self healing abilities.) That of course, is not retail and if you get a price in that range I would be very skeptical of the installer. Retail ranges in the ballpark of $2000-$3000 depending on a whole bunch of things such as the cost of the paint correction detail prep. Keep in mind you also want to consider applying a ceramic coating to the whole car and over the film after the film cures in a few weeks/ month. The ceramic coating price should be worked into the overall price of the job with the understanding the car will come back after it cures for final trimming and ceramic job.

finally, a popular question is pre-cut film or hand cut. Hand cut is the way to go and looks the best. Over time, dirt will accumulate to any seem cuts in the clear film and will make the cuts more noticeable. So less cuts and seems=less noticeable film and easier maintenance.
I have not personally of heard of shops giving a discount by using pre cut films or on the other hand charging more for a hand cut job, even though one is much more difficult to do. This is one of those things that the shop keeps in mind when giving you a price and is a question you 100% need to ask prior to the job.

DO NOT BLAME THE SHOP if you did not ask prior if they use pre cut templates and they do. Unless they specifically tell you its all hand cut, but even still, its on you to ask.

good luck, any questions just ask. I see a lot of misconceptions out there in forum land.

USAF

#GTFOsquad_0047
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 1993 GT
great product I use all the time is Novistretch mask ....you can pick up the novistretch.com front end mask & mirror covers....doesn't protect the hood much but does help the front end a lot. Very inexpensive use discount code:america to save some money

OP
OP
wanted33

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
great product I use all the time is Novistretch mask ....you can pick up the novistretch.com front end mask & mirror covers....doesn't protect the hood much but does help the front end a lot. Very inexpensive use discount code:america to save some money
A lot of my Corvette friends use the Novistretch. I will consider one as an option also.

Thank you for your service to our great country sir. :usa:
Sponsored