Sponsored

Looking for tips on achieving a more ideal launch

Shahmir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hello everyone. I have been trying to get a good launch in my EBM and for some reason I just can't seem to find the sweet spot.

When I was mostly stock. Just a Roush CAI and OTS Stage 1 COBB Tune(Right Lane):
https://i.gyazo.com/2149b90527eb586ee825bc088a679a52.png

This was Roush CAI and Tune+ Tune(Right Lane):
https://gyazo.com/9a8d99d67971b1e96bdce742bf3df6d7

My most recent run I had:
CP-E intercooler
CP-E full catless turboback exhaust
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/50R/18
Tune+ Tune
Tune+ Transmission Tune
(Left Lane)
https://gyazo.com/01af0d93fdd231e0b0d5c4e1d40d9c9d
[ame]
A video that I recorded using a GoPro on my helmet. The time slip is from the second run.
I've reviewed the video numerous times and I'm not sure if its that I was manually shifting. If I didn't launch hard enough. If my tire pressure (28PSI) wasn't low enough and didn't get the tires warm enough. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Just my opinion following. Your 60' is where you are losing serious time. If you have track apps you can just practice this on a vacant road out in the country. Try getting the tires REALLY hot. Smoking the crap out of them. Lower air pressure and higher RPM on the launch. I think with practice you will get it right. Your MPH and 60' tell me you can get in to the 12s. Just my opinion.... Still. Really good times for an EB 4cyl. You want to launch at as high RPM as you can without getting wheelspin. Just practice.

OP
OP

Shahmir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Just my opinion following. Your 60' is where you are losing serious time. If you have track apps you can just practice this on a vacant road out in the country. Try getting the tires REALLY hot. Smoking the crap out of them. Lower air pressure and higher RPM on the launch. I think with practice you will get it right. Your MPH and 60' tell me you can get in to the 12s. Just my opinion.... Still. Really good times for an EB 4cyl. You want to launch at as high RPM as you can without getting wheelspin. Just practice.
What do you suggest the tire pressure to be? Also, should I be using the paddles or allowing the car to shift itself?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
If you are on street tires you just want to clean them off. Getting them super hot doesn't help you at all.

If you want to make fast passes you really need a set of drag radials.

As far as tire PSI, I would let out 2psi increments and monitor 60ft times until they get better. Keep lowering until they get worse again and go back up to the last pressure.

You are extremely limited in your ability with 235 street tires.

With a radial and pegging the converter up on a footbrake you should be able to get very fast 60's and can be in the 11's depending on your race weight.

The eco 60 foots really well with traction and that's where you will see your times fall. I went 11.9 @ 112 with pretty much the same mods (plus Mickey Thompson radials, the equivalent of SS) in my 15.

As far as shifting, I have had success manually shifting but I also had 100's of passes and a shift light timed just right as well as set per gear. You can try the good ole trick of putting it in sport mode and manually making the 1-2 shift at redline and then popping it into D to let the 2-3, et all shifts occur on the computer's demand.
Sponsored