Sponsored

Exhaust hitting swaybar - tips for a fix?

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Took my car into the shop yesterday for what I thought was a suspension noise and it turned out to be my MBRP exhaust hitting my swaybar. I'm lowered and from what I've been reading online this can happen.

The shop said they re-adjusted the exhaust but I'm still getting the noise. I'll obviously be taking it back to see if the shop will have another go at it but I wanted to see if there were any tips for how to solve this problem.

The only thing I'm considering so far is new exhaust hangers that might help movement, I am unsure on what size I would need though.

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to put some washers under the sway bar mounts to move them away from the bar. That is if the contact is in that direction.

If you need to "shrink" the mounts, maybe some Steeda billet mounts and have them milled down a bit as well as the bushing.

Are you running stock bars?
I have a few bushings and mounts that you are welcome to play with depending on your setup.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
@Monica_Stang does your car sound like this:

[ame]

If so, i was under the belief it was hitting the sway bar mount too; however i've totally reshuffled this to give the car an extra couple of inches, and i still get the same sound.
I've also drove without the end pipes on, and the sound still occurs.

Bodyshops told me it was the exhaust - but it isn't.

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chef. Yeah I’m on stock bars and mounts. Rather it have to be swapping things out just yet though.

Manners. It’s hard to tell 100% but that noise does sound very similar. You figure out what it was? Its coming from the drivers side shock area right?...Mines same only on passenger side

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Chef. Yeah I’m on stock bars and mounts. Rather it have to be swapping things out just yet though.

Manners. It’s hard to tell 100% but that noise does sound very similar. You figure out what it was? Its coming from the drivers side shock area right?...Mines same only on passenger side
to you, it'll be coming from the drivers side rear suspension. (I'm U.K so RHD, therefore my passenger side rear).

I haven't yet figured out what it is, i've got a post running on the UK Section; all manner of suggestions have been put forward, however in short it's been to 3 seperate mechanics (Including suspension experts) and we can't fathom the issue. Someone has hinted it maybe the spring being loose/not seated correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
to you, it'll be coming from the drivers side rear suspension. (I'm U.K so RHD, therefore my passenger side rear).

I haven't yet figured out what it is, i've got a post running on the UK Section; all manner of suggestions have been put forward, however in short it's been to 3 seperate mechanics (Including suspension experts) and we can't fathom the issue. Someone has hinted it maybe the spring being loose/not seated correctly.
Ah that's not good news. I'm on coilovers as well. I was maybe thinking it as the shock mount being a bit loose :shrug

I'll be taking it back in to the shop in a week or so. If I manage to fix it I ill let you know. Thanks for the help

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ah that's not good news. I'm on coilovers as well. I was maybe thinking it as the shock mount being a bit loose :shrug

I'll be taking it back in to the shop in a week or so. If I manage to fix it I ill let you know. Thanks for the help
I've had the shocks taken off and refitted, so it's definitely not that.

Buhbuhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
This might be an issue with the mbrp hangers. I had an issue where mine would slide back about an inch and touch the sway bar as well. After trying to reset everything so it wouldn't move three times I ended up just taking zip ties and tying the hangers in place by the rear end. Has held up for over a year now.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This might be an issue with the mbrp hangers. I had an issue where mine would slide back about an inch and touch the sway bar as well. After trying to reset everything so it wouldn't move three times I ended up just taking zip ties and tying the hangers in place by the rear end. Has held up for over a year now.
Which hangars, the ones for the muffler or for the back pipes (pre muffler) got any pics?

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I just have the OEM hangers. Don't think mine came with any from MBRP. When looking at the ford ones yesterday they had a ton of room in them and a lot of play. The same thing happens to me with the exhaust system moving back about an inch.

I've been looking for other hangers that look stiffer, but I a cant find any aftermarket one that designed the way ford designed their hangers. I'm going to try to retrofit a pair of universal ones on to see if that makes a difference

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think I just have the OEM hangers. Don't think mine came with any from MBRP. When looking at the ford ones yesterday they had a ton of room in them and a lot of play. The same thing happens to me with the exhaust system moving back about an inch.

I've been looking for other hangers that look stiffer, but I a cant find any aftermarket one that designed the way ford designed their hangers. I'm going to try to retrofit a pair of universal ones on to see if that makes a difference
Really the exhaust shouldn't move in the hangar if all the pieces are bolted together tightly... might be worth checking the main join from the exhaust to the flex/downpipe section as that's the only way i can imagine the exhaust nmoving forwards or backwards by that amount!!!

I've got the MF comp, that uses the stock hangars.

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really the exhaust shouldn't move in the hangar if all the pieces are bolted together tightly... might be worth checking the main join from the exhaust to the flex/downpipe section as that's the only way i can imagine the exhaust nmoving forwards or backwards by that amount!!!

I've got the MF comp, that uses the stock hangars.
Agreed, I'll check this out as well.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I'll check this out as well.
Let me know, I've tried yanking my exhaust, Doesn't move.

Thinking now (thanks to [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION]) it maybe the links between suspension and roll bar that are shot, being n coilovers, makes sense for the rears (front have new ones with the pedders).

Gonna disconnect a rod line (lower bolt) and see.

callmedanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost
Did you ever find a fix for it? I seem to be having the same issue/noise.
Sponsored