Sponsored

Project RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I have been a member for a bit... and went the 500rwhp NA build route first. Then I upgraded to a Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 and made 930 on a stock block. Weighing in at 4100lbs plus, we made several 145mph passes. After this we decided to teardown the motor to make "all the power".

BA Motorsports has been helping with the teardown and rebuild of the car. Following the advise of Brandon Alsept for the project build, we decided to turn to BES Racing Engines for the build, as Tony Bischoff is the man and built my last motor in the "Silver Bullet".

With the motor being built, we also turned to Whipple to assist us with gaining a few more horsepowers. ;) Whipple opened the blower up to a 150mm opening and provided a 150mm throttle body and 3" pulley for when we start turning it up. Thanks [MENTION=13288]Whipple SC[/MENTION]

BES is currently building the following:
Sleeving the block with a part fill, Molnar "high boost" Rods, Ross pistons and rings with HD pins, Manley Race Valves, PAC springs, ALL ARP fasteners to include Main studs, Head studs and studding the crank, New FRP Boss crank. They are double keying the crank and ATI balancer, CNC'ing the heads with a race valve job. BES is also porting the lower Whipple intake to match the port job on the heads. They will be using Clevite Bearings to complete the build.

I also purchased a new 6" Rarefab intake from Ken at Palm Beach Dyno to get all the air we can get into the Whipple. Ken also provided one of his new K2 SuperBoost Braces for the alternator to keep from throwing belts under high boost loads.

BA Motorsports also recommended ditching my 1 7/8" ARH and H pipe. To gain more exhaust flow we went with 2" ARH and X pipe. Another issue they recommend addressing was fuel.... unsure of what power level we may hit with the build, we upgraded to Injector Dynamics 1700 cc injectors. I have a few pictures to keep everyone posted/updated on the build...… Enjoy :cheers:
Whipple.jpg
Whipple Inlet.jpg
Block CNC.jpg
Ross Pistons.jpg
Rarefab 6in CAI.jpg
PBD Alternator Brace.jpg
ID 1700 Box.jpg
ID 1700 Label.jpg
ID 1700 Injectors.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pictures of the car.....
FLP 1.JPG
FLP 2.JPG
Drag Track.jpg
Whipple Front.jpg
Whipple Fuel pside.jpg
Icetank.jpg

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This shows the routing of the Fore Fuel system...
Whipple Fuel.jpg

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Evil 5.0,
That is one fine looking car, what size rim/ tires are on the back?

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil 5.0,
That is one fine looking car, what size rim/ tires are on the back?

Thank you! 19x11 rims.... and I believe a 325/30/19

Sponsored

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headwork

Here are a couple of pictures of the heads.....
Full head.jpg
Intake Port.jpg

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting build. Keen to see how she goes on the strip.
Out of interest, you’ve quoted weights for NA and FI. Were there any other changes made betweeen the two that would impact the weight much? Eg. Is that pretty much the weight difference between NA and Whipple?

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting build. Keen to see how she goes on the strip.
Out of interest, you’ve quoted weights for NA and FI. Were there any other changes made betweeen the two that would impact the weight much? Eg. Is that pretty much the weight difference between NA and Whipple?
Around a 200lb diffence. The icetank in the back adds probably 50lbs when filled with water.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looking good buddy! I think that 12xx goal is deff possible! glad you mentioned that alternator brace, I totally forgot about mine lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headers

New 2" ARH Headers and switching from a 3" H pipe to 3" X.
Headers H pipe.jpg
ARH.jpg

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shortblock

The shortblock is completed.... now to put it all together.:headbang:
Shortblock 1.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The shortblock is completed.... now to put it all together.:headbang:
Very nice ! Can’t wait. Still battling to get my KB car in to the 9’s and just had to replace the RXT with the hub spring version (the old one was not completely releasing with the clutch in )
BES is also building me a “spare block”- with my luck I may need it(hope I did not jinx myself ) lol.
Is the partial fill to help with cracks in the valley ? Already had that happen on a previous nonsleeved block (don’t think sleeving would have prevented that anyway ).
Car is now now losing coolant somewhere and I have not been able to find the leak . I am afraid same thing may have happened to the current 5.2 sleeved block in it now although we don’t see the coolant in the valley like we did the last time it happened .

Any concerns in a street car? .
I am thinking I may have them do it to my block since it’s not yet(just received Ross custom 5.2 pistons ).
Might as well double key the crank to while I am at it .
I assume “studding” the crank will also make it stronger .

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice ! Can’t wait. Still battling to get my KB car in to the 9’s and just had to replace the RXT with the hub spring version (the old one was not completely releasing with the clutch in )
BES is also building me a “spare block”- with my luck I may need it(hope I did not jinx myself ) lol.
Is the partial fill to help with cracks in the valley ? Already had that happen on a previous nonsleeved block (don’t think sleeving would have prevented that anyway ).
Car is now now losing coolant somewhere and I have not been able to find the leak . I am afraid same thing may have happened to the current 5.2 sleeved block in it now although we don’t see the coolant in the valley like we did the last time it happened .

Any concerns in a street car? .
I am thinking I may have them do it to my block since it’s not yet(just received Ross custom 5.2 pistons ).
Might as well double key the crank to while I am at it .
I assume “studding” the crank will also make it stronger .

The partial fill is to keep it from cracking in the valley. BES stated this will cause no issues and they have had no problems with this and have no concerns with doing this on a street car.
I would agree with double keying the crank, that is why I did this.

They ended up not studding the crank, I have not discussed why with them. I plan on picking it up tonight.

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked up the motor last night and have more detailed pictures of the block, pistons, porting and epoxy fill.
ShortblockT.jpg
HeadTop.jpg
Head Bottom.jpg
Exhaust Port.jpg
Intake Port T.jpg
Block Bottom.jpg
Piston Detail.jpg
Epoxy Fill 1.jpg
Epoxy Fill 2.jpg
Sponsored