A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
My evap is out at 6300 miles on my 2016. I'm so thankful that I still have two months left on my warranty. It's on back-order, maybe within a few weeks I'm told.
I wonder if it's a different model for the base and dual mode A/C
Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
My evap is out at 6300 miles on my 2016. I'm so thankful that I still have two months left on my warranty. It's on back-order, maybe within a few weeks I'm told.
6300 miles! Talk about a garage queen :D

I wonder if it's a different model for the base and dual mode A/C
Yes, they are different part numbers.

CHUCKinFLL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
My 17 Ecoboost Convertible was just in the shop for the AC issue (cools a little on the passenger side, hot on the drivers side) and a few other small problems (rear quarter windows don't go fully up, heated/cooled seats don't work and passenger door handle sticking). So day 10 they tell me they had to order an evaporator and that it was on back order. Part finally comes in and the car is ready 7/12, day 16. My question is from everything I've seen the evaporator comes as a complete assembly, but my RO says they "performed TSB 18-2166, replaced evaporator as per TSB." When I search for the part number online, it comes up as just the evaporator core (part #FR3Z*19860*A). Does anyone know is this a change to just replacing the core to cut the expense of replacing so many complete units that only needed a core ($212 part vs $698 part). I searched online and don't find any details on the TSB - has anyone seen this? Of course the dealership totally failed on fixing the other 3 issues, so the car is still there and I'm still driving their Escape loaner - but that's a whole other story.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
my car just went in for diags related to this. driver side air con was coming in on the warmer side of cool while pass side was cold, it was also really low on freon. didn't see any leakage on the engine bay so assuming its the evap core. dealer said they were gonna diag today and tell me by this afternoon but i didn't receive a call so waiting till tomorrow. car is a 2015 GT with 22k, luckily still under factory warranty for another month.

**edit - dealer just called to let me know it is the evap core and they have ordered it.

does anybody know if the new/replacement part fixes the issue or am i looking at replacing it in the future?

Last edited:

adair727

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
does anybody know if the new/replacement part fixes the issue or am i looking at replacing it in the future?
That's a great question. Reading through this thread I have seen people with multiple failures and some I believe were with the revised/updated part numbers...

Maybe the updated part is better, maybe it will fix the problem and the people that have had the new part number fail are outliers...

My car is in having its evaporator replaced right now, and I would like to believe the new evap will fix the problem permanently, but I am skeptical.

Sponsored

adair727

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
New Evaporator Installed

Autonation Ford in Torrance, CA installed the new evaporator in my car and the A/C blows cold, there are no scratches, squeaks, or any other issues related to the repair work. So if you are in the SoCal/Southbay area, Autonation does great work.

I have attached a pic with the new Evap part number:
AirCon EVAP 2.png

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I didnt recall seeing that TSB number previously?

tsb 187-2166

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
wasnt it discussed that the base and premium models evaps were different?
First I heard the cores were different. I had the evap core replaced on my Premium GT. The service manager said the new ones had been changed. The replacement number was different from the old ones according to him. Who the hell knows. Pulled the work order ticket. My replacement evap asy number is FR3Z*19850*Y

Last edited:

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
yup :lol: mine was done last sept, i use it everyday, so hopefully it dont break again
I have base (non premium) model and was wondering if they were different in terms of AC failure rate.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Autonation Ford in Torrance, CA installed the new evaporator in my car and the A/C blows cold, there are no scratches, squeaks, or any other issues related to the repair work. So if you are in the SoCal/Southbay area, Autonation does great work.

I have attached a pic with the new Evap part number:
Edit: I had the dumb, part FR3Z-19860 is the core, FR3Z-19850 is the entire assembly

Last edited:

Deleted member 35786

Having mine checked out at this week by ford. Currently at 21,600 miles. Hot on one side cold on the other, but only randomly and clears up when I start driving. Either way its a concern.

NHTSA ID: 10137091
TSB ID: SSM 47149
Some 2015-2017 mustang vehicles built on or before 2-sep-2016 may exhibit poor a/c performance. if a low refrigerant charge is confirmed and there are no other obvious signs of a refrigerant leak, suspect the evaporator to be the source of the problem.

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Mustang-tsbs-92,2017
Sponsored