Sponsored

6R80 No reverse, whining sounds, etc. Has anybody heard this before?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Hey guys,

So about a year ago, my torque converter went. I had the trans rebuilt with a Circle D, billet shaft and Exedy clutches.

2-3 months ago the trans locked up while cruising in 5th. Oil pump and housing broke, clutches burnt up, and the converter was "eaten up around the shaft" and had to be sent to Circle D for repair.

2 weeks ago I got my car back from the above repair, drove great for 2 weeks. Then suddenly started making a ton of noise. Whining/squealing noise from the trans, erratic shifting and the car dying/loss of power. Lost reverse as well. Began when I was just driving around town. Went from completely fine to as it is now in about 10 minutes. Higher speed driving the noise is louder and more often.

Here is a video showing the noise. If anyone has any pointers as to what it may be I would appreciate it. [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION]

[ame]https://vimeo.com/280297758[/ame]
Up to 0:38 is reverse, and then most of the noise in drive happens between 1:20 and 2:12.

I have a hard time believing anything other than the shop screwed something up on reassembly since I haven't even had it a month since I got it back from them. So I'd like to get some opinions. I'm thinking something with the torque converter? Mods in signature, I'm only between 700-800whp.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I know you said you can’t believe it’s the Shop, but reading your post, the common link seems to circle back to the shop (no pun intended)...

What was their analysis after the last repair, meaning what caused the trans to lock up and cause those damages?

Are they charging you each time for repairs?

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I know you said you can’t believe it’s the Shop, but reading your post, the common link seems to circle back to the shop (no pun intended)...

What was their analysis after the last repair, meaning what caused the trans to lock up and cause those damages?

Are they charging you each time for repairs?
No, i mean i cant believe it's anything other than the shops fault, lol.

First repair to the converter last year was done by a different shop so I can't count that one. Analysis on the last repair was that the oil pump in the trans went, which damaged the pump plate/housing, and since there was then no fluid flowing it burnt up the clutches.

Still waiting on info about the current problem. They are coming to pick up the car and trailer it down to them free of charge this weekend. Since it only lasted 2-3 weeks I expect the work to be warrantied. I know racing parts typically dont have a warranty per se, but at 2 weeks I think it's obvious they screwed something up. I'm fearing an uphill battle on this though.
Sponsored