Sponsored

Which intercooler to get?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I will send thoughts and prayers when your stock intercooler goes on desert safari in August.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to stay stock for the summer and try to get some more runs come winter at the strip. I want to see if I can break into the 13's stock. I just need colder Temps to do so. Unfortunately the off season here in Phoenix is when it's the peak everywhere else lol. I think based on responses and research I am going to go with the cp-e. Now I need to find a competent shop here in the valley that knows the ecoboost.

U will really notice the difference once u pull the trigger. TBH, intercoolers are pretty easy to install yourself. I even installed my MAP street IC without removing the bumper

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Fastback
would the drop in IC like garrett or cp-e not work with a bigger turbo?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I also live in the Phoenix metro area, and CPE IC has been working great for me so far. As others mentioned in the post, stock location ICs let you keep the shutter, but I removed it to get rid of the clutter and extra weight. Over 80% of my commute is on the city highways, and the gas mileage screen showed 0.1 drop in gas mileage after the shutter delete, compared to 0.2 drop when I switched to 285/35 tires.

Note that removing the shutter may trigger CEL. So if you're not running a custom tune, you may want to keep the shutter motor plugged.

After the IC upgrade, consider running WMI to further reduce the charge temps and keep the ECU from pulling back on the timing. Spend extra and get the port injected set up for better distribution, as you'll see fewer inconsistencies in timing advance between cylinders.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
For your specific needs, I'd go with the CP-e. It's priced well and is going to perform the same as the Garrett.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I got the ETS IC from Tune plus. Its great, was fairly easy to install. You have to remove or modify the radiator shrouds and ASG, but other than that its a simple install. I live in Arkansas, its 100+ heat index and I stay around 110-120 charge temps in normal driving.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Subscribed... have been looking closely at the Garrett unit, figuring on maximizing everything I can while I wait on a tune from FPP.

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
I installed the CP-E, and I live in Florida, charge temps stay under 115 in July, fits great, and not a hard job to do yourself, but go ahead and upgrade the charge pipes while you are in there and have the front bumper off. I guess you could keep the AGS on but they block off and inch or two on each side of the intercooler, plus the bottom part does not sit quite right against the IC. I taped off the plug to keep from getting wet and hanged the AGS on the wall of my garage. I don't care about the loss in highway MPGs, but those AGS do a good job of keeping rocks and bugs from hitting your IC, AC condenser, and radiator.

cstewartj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
I installed the CP-E, and I live in Florida, charge temps stay under 115 in July, fits great, and not a hard job to do yourself, but go ahead and upgrade the charge pipes while you are in there and have the front bumper off. I guess you could keep the AGS on but they block off and inch or two on each side of the intercooler, plus the bottom part does not sit quite right against the IC. I taped off the plug to keep from getting wet and hanged the AGS on the wall of my garage. I don't care about the loss in highway MPGs, but those AGS do a good job of keeping rocks and bugs from hitting your IC, AC condenser, and radiator.
Up in GA so I'm no too far away. I plan on doing the pipes as well!
Sponsored