FRPP Track Shock failed on test drive

champamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just had Steeda Linear Sports, FRPP Track Shocks/Struts with Steeda Billet Top Mounts and CB005 installed by a reputable local shop. Everything went well except one rear shock blew out on his test drive. Lost all the fluid. The FRPP boxing (FRPP or AutoNation White Bear Lake) was pretty poor, with no packing material in the main box and the individual damper boxes beat up and punctured from bouncing around.
Just looking for opinions on the situation. I'm not looking to blame the shop, but would a loose top nut or any other install problem blow the shock seal?
Thanks
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unlikely that the installation would do it, although not impossible. Most likely a quality issue, possibly related to shipping. I would talk to Whitebear Lake about replacement.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Precisely why, when I ordered that kit, I sent it straight back. Everything was beat to hell by the time it got to me. Unacceptable...

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Hmm so don’t get it from white bear lake then? Dang, they had the best price too.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hmm so don’t get it from white bear lake then? Dang, they had the best price too.

Really doesn't matter which dealer you order it from. I've seen it come from a few different ones and they were all the same - the same boxes that FP puts the parts in for shelf storage are not padded or double-boxed for shipment. Only with suspension parts. Everything else comes from FP just fine.

These ultimately end up as very heavy shipments that aren't taken care of.

Sponsored

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My GT350 CAI was really beat up when i got it from White Bear Lake this week. Scratches, dents across the whole body. Thought it was used actually.

The coil covers I got arrived fine. The FRPP hood struts had some weird scratches like it had been dropped on gravel.

I sent a quick email and pics and they agreed to do a return - overall fast and good customer service (assuming the new parts check out). I ordered some additional parts for my tower strut install so we'll see how those parts arrive.

Probably the best prices, but definitely want to verify the quality. Frustrating part is I lost a weekend to get stuff installed but life goes on.

FWIW, I ordered a GT350 tower strut from American Muscle and it was missing the bolts and some of the paint on the placard was missing. Luck of the draw.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
About to get mine installed this Saturday... Also ordered from White Bear Lake. I just checked the packaging this morning and it isn’t in the best shape either. However the two interior boxes are snug in the main box with no space to bounce around side-to-side. It looks like it bounced up and down though as both interior boxes are also punctured. Is there a way to tell if the shocks are damaged by looking at them?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine from Levittown. Packaging was spot on. The Ford racing box was inside another box with additional packing.

Maybe you just got a bad one, will the dealer replace it for you?

Love these dampers and have gotten many compliments from people who have driven the car. They seem to be very high quality.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Also ordered my FRPP kit from Leavittown shipped via FEDEX. Came in 2 boxes One box had no issues. Other that had shocks there was a 1" hole right thru the box and the blue paint on the strut where the spring sat was scraped a little but not damaged.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
FWIW both boxes of Steeda struts I ordered came with a liiitle bit of damage. The flange that holds the spring had cut thru the box. Scraping on the floor had scraped off some of the paint.

Everyone can do a better job packaging these. Double walled boxes and caps on the strut ends would be nice.

For instance bike wheels come shipped like this:

3-wheels.jpg

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
About to get mine installed this Saturday... Also ordered from White Bear Lake. I just checked the packaging this morning and it isn’t in the best shape either. However the two interior boxes are snug in the main box with no space to bounce around side-to-side. It looks like it bounced up and down though as both interior boxes are also punctured. Is there a way to tell if the shocks are damaged by looking at them?
More than likely they're fine. They deal with road abuse 100% of their used life so...

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
FWIW both boxes of Steeda struts I ordered came with a liiitle bit of damage. The flange that holds the spring had cut thru the box. Scraping on the floor had scraped off some of the paint.

Everyone can do a better job packaging these. Double walled boxes and caps on the strut ends would be nice.
Same thing on my FRPP Track Pack.. Struts had worn through their box and on the way to wearing through the outer box.. It's like they just go, oh it won't be seen, why package it well...

OP
OP

champamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just an update on my situation. AutoNation White Bear Lake (Jerry) was very good with my predicament but of course needed to clear things with FRPP, so I called them. The FRPP guy was dumbfounded to hear that both shocks had failed (as was I) and said he had never heard of such a thing. But when I told him about the damaged boxes he suggested that these could have been returns that got repackaged. They have a problem with some dealers who have liberal return policies. Bottom line is I'm in FRPP warranty hell and have to provide photos, explanation etc. In other words, I won't be driving the car anytime soon.
Couple things to consider:
Doesn't matter what dealer you buy from, FRPP boxes this stuff so they're the shipping culprit.
If you receive an order and the boxes are damaged, take pictures and consider a shipping claim. Luckily, my mechanic has the boxes so hopefully that will help my case.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just an update on my situation. AutoNation White Bear Lake (Jerry) was very good with my predicament but of course needed to clear things with FRPP, so I called them. The FRPP guy was dumbfounded to hear that both shocks had failed (as was I) and said he had never heard of such a thing. But when I told him about the damaged boxes he suggested that these could have been returns that got repackaged. They have a problem with some dealers who have liberal return policies. Bottom line is I'm in FRPP warranty hell and have to provide photos, explanation etc. In other words, I won't be driving the car anytime soon.
Couple things to consider:
Doesn't matter what dealer you buy from, FRPP boxes this stuff so they're the shipping culprit.
If you receive an order and the boxes are damaged, take pictures and consider a shipping claim. Luckily, my mechanic has the boxes so hopefully that will help my case.
Sorry to hear that... Are you basically eating the install cost then?

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear you're having issues, but luckily it was a rear and not one of the fronts. Literally a 10 minute job...5 if they have a lift.

My Steeda non-adjustables came in individual boxes within a larger box for the entire order. One of the threaded rods of the front struts punched through its inner box, but the threads were undamaged so luckily I didn't have a problem. You guys are right though, nobody really packages these things well.
Sponsored