Sponsored

Any Plumbers?? Got a Problem...

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK, what is this...

My kitchen faucet when the water is full hot, the water starts going thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud. It will keep doing that until you turn the temperature down or also during the water flow dow (but leaving temp full hot) will also make it stop. Almost like a vapor lock or something. It's super loud, pretty violent (for a kitchen sink), and super annoying. It only does it in the kitchen sink; no other faucets in the house developed this problem. Nothing has been changed to the water system in the house or the lines. Temperature at the hot water heater has not been touched. It just started right out of the blue. Dish washer feeds from the same line going to the faucet with this problem and the dish washer runs hot temp with zero problems.

What are some things I can check or do? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A small tank in the line somewhere around/above the hot water heater? Yes.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
How old is it? Bladder could have failed. Google it and see if it sounds like your issue. Normally the T&P valve will leak on the tank or something else will leak from the extra pressure built up from the hot water. That's all I can think of.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It’s 8 years old. Nothing is leaking nor any other operational problems. I’ll check it out.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Replace the expansion tank, inflate the bladder to match your water pressure, and then get back to us. 8 years on one of those is, in my opinion, past its prime. I give them 5.

Additionally, it could very well be the faucet. It may have a failing valve and what you're hearing could be water hammering - the valve could be opening and closing rapidly. If you can acquire a super cheap faucet from the hardware store or elsewhere in your house, try installing it and seeing what happens.

Water hammering can "appear" also because the air baffles in your piping (if installed) have been displaced by water or debris. One way to address is to drain your entire water system by turning off water and opening all faucets until they all stop producing water (you can get away with opening the lowest faucet only, ideally a bath tub for speed. Then close the faucets and SLOWLY turn the water back on. Then open all faucets low to high slowly, letting the air purge until you get a clear stream of water. You may also need to clean the faucet screens if you have a lot of sediment in your pipes that gets dislodged. Ideally remove them before turning the water back on so they don't clog.

Also, if it's ONLY hot water, it's worth checking your hot water heater. This noise can come from bubbles that are released from sediment in water heaters causing a pressure spike.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks wildcat. Wow, seriously?? Five years for a hot water heater? Would not have expected to hear that. I'll say this though...that's an item I'll run to failure; not going to replace it as preventative maintenance, LOL! Water hammering is a very good description of what I'm hearing/experiencing. I would never have thought of that term. I'll try the faucet thing first as yes, it's only the kitchen sink. Further, I've walked off all the lines and inspected/listened to the hot water heater while the faucet is "hammering" away and there is not else funny going on. The lines aren't going crazy, no noise or vibration/banging from the hot water heater, nothing.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No, 5 years for the expansion tank on top of it. 10 years for a hot water heater.